Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Flynns update, its a rollercoaster!

Flynns update, its a rollercoaster!

Old Nov 20th 2006, 1:51 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flynns update, its a rollercoaster!

sending lots of love and prayers to you and your fighting wee man..!!

god bless sweetie
Old Nov 20th 2006, 2:04 pm
Homeward bound

The O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond repute

Flynn sounds like a little miracle, will definately pray for him and for you and your family.

Take care

Nic
Old Nov 20th 2006, 2:36 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

those folk whinging about bloody supermarkets should read this thread. my thoughts and prayers are with you Hevs.

Cx
Old Nov 20th 2006, 2:58 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

I cant remember the last time I prayed for something,but I will now.
(((((((()))))))) xxx
Old Nov 20th 2006, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

lelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of light

Bless him.... but what a little fighter he is.

I dont know you,but big hugs to you all ((((( ))))) and will say a little prayer for you.

Michelle x
Old Nov 20th 2006, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Bless him the little tough guy, and you for taking the trouble to let us know how things are going. Sending him and your family lots of love, our thoughts are with you.
Niki x
Old Nov 20th 2006, 3:35 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

My OH keeps asking for updates on the little chap! Our thoughts and prayers were with you last night (you asked, we listened) they will be with you tonight as well, and on and on.

N, N and G
Old Nov 20th 2006, 3:39 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hevs he sounds like a trooper! and you and Matt too ...

stay strong - we're all thinking of you guys.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 5:41 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like he's fighting hard, hang in there. Virtual hugs from all of us in Scotland....And IOU a night of babysitting so the two of you can get out to chill out together. Will need to wait until next year for it, but it's yours
Old Nov 20th 2006, 5:45 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
Flynn's latest escapade started on Friday when there was a marked difference in his Sat's (oxygen in his blood) and by the amount of "braddys" (major drops in heart rate) he was having. I went home very uneasy and sure enough on my arrival back to the hospital on Saturday morning all hell was breaking loose.

The main thing was that Flynn was jerking and twitching all over the place, his heart rate was through the roof as was his breathing and his Sat's were through the floor. It was totally heartbreaking to watch. (my brilliant friend Bordy timed his visit perfectly as ever and let me blither on and get myself together in time for the next onslaught)

They decided to do all the tests to check he was strong enough to start the heart medication. He has a PDA, basically a duct that is meant to close before birth hadn't (very common in premmies) and was definitely becoming more of a problem for him. They needed to check his clotting abilities because of him having the brain bleed they wanted to check that it wasn't an inherent fault before they started him on medication where one of the main side effects is bleeding! All came back good so he was all set to start the course Sunday all being well.

In the mean time they'd done another brain scan and found his ventricle to be larger and so they decided to do a lumbar puncure to drain some fluid out. However, it went all a bit wrong and they only got blood. They assured me it was "fresh" and not from his brain and that they would try again Sunday.

At this point they stopped his feeds to try to rest all of his organs and see if he'd calm down. He didn't.

Sunday morning came and i got to the hospital (poor Matt had to stay home again with the big kids and just be there for them. He has been fantastic and has given me some of the strength back that i gave him back in March!!) to find them lumbar punching him again. I panicked and legged it out of there and ended up in the chapel and began something i have never done in my life, praying. I prayed my heart out......

They succeeded and got 8mls of spinal fluid out and sent it off for tests. They began his heart meds and i just watched and waited. He seemed to have periods of calm and periods of manicness, my heart was in my mouth.

Last night (Sunday) I was told by Clara (the positive consultant) that Flynn's spinal fluid (CSF) had come back with a high white cell count and that they feared that he had an infection. Yep. You guessed it! Meningitis. The next 48 hours he is classed as critical because if the infection takes hold his brain is going to take yet another hammering. She said i needed to stay positive but needed to be aware that things were at there lowest. She also asked me if she could call me in the night if there was a change for the worse. I was also warned that he could be intubated, ventilated and sedated upon our return this morning if his condition got any worse. He was also attached to a brain monitor to see if the spasms were in fact seizures and to determine the best form of treatment to give him. They started him on two extremely strong intravenous anti biotic and earlier in the day had begun the medication to close the duct in his heart. They decided to keep that going as its a six day course. The little man had an awful lot to fight.

We arrived this morning ready to face the worse. He was not ventilated but he was still fidgeting, though not as violently and eventually began to look fairly settled.

No Dr's came to grab us which I took as a good sign and we hoped for the best. However i was worried when they said no lumbar was to be repeated today. Obviously i was thinking Why? Is it a lost cause?

Anyway we went for a drink while the nurse did his cares and when we came back a Dr made his way over. He said he had news at which point my heart sank. He said that the culture that was sent away from the CSF 24 hours ago, the one with the high white cell count that indicated serious infection was, to this point, totally clear!! Also they had decided to hold off for the lumbar because he was beginning to settle and the ventricle size in this mornings brain scan was reduced!!! All of his blood tests were also clear of infection markers and he was much happier with his condition at this moment in time! I struggled to stop myself blubbing all over him.

He did tell me that although this is excellent news we still have a way to go. They will keep the brain monitor on for a bit just to observe. They will keep the CSF culture for another 24 hours and they will do a further brain scan in a couple of days. He says hes still not sure about the twitching but thinks its due to brain irritation from the swelling of the ventricle, the breaking down of the blood clot and the subsequent build up of CSF (hydrocephalus) It was Flynn's way of dealing with it and telling us that we needed to help him out pretty soon. His next brain scan wasn't due till Monday (today Infact) There were, during all of this, no further bleeds. We obviously are still in the dark to the outcome of all of this and what it means, but for today we are just pleased its over and relieved he seems more settled and that we live to fight another day.

Thank you all for of your prayers and positivity which i feel have got us through the last 48 hours. I know its a big ask, but keep it up and pray that the twitching resolves and the heart duct closes and he gets stronger as the week goes on.

Hugs to you all.
H and M
Prayers, thoughts, hugs and everything else rolled into one for you all.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 5:51 pm
true blue

paul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Issie
Prayers, thoughts, hugs and everything else rolled into one for you all.
and same here hevs every thing crossed
Old Nov 20th 2006, 6:09 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: Flynns update, its a rollercoaster!

You're in my prayers, hevs. I sent you a donation via iPom last night, so you should get it soon.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 7:28 pm
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

Our thoughts are with you too. Take one day at a time, you are all doing brilliantly. Keep fighting little Flynn.

Big hugs and positive vibes

Joe, Mark and Ethanx
Old Nov 20th 2006, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

mick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond repute

Our thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Lynne
Old Nov 20th 2006, 8:48 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
You're in my prayers, hevs. I sent you a donation via iPom last night, so you should get it soon.
Hasn't arrived yet, but will check again this morning.

Hevs, hang in there honey. He sounds like a strong little guy.

Hugs to you all.

x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.