Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

fishing equipment, is it just me?

fishing equipment, is it just me?

Old Nov 27th 2012, 9:28 am
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute
Default fishing equipment, is it just me?

or is it a bit old fashioned in Australia?

I hate the "back home we did it like this" crap but this fishing equipment is one area where it seems way behind. Ok I have only bought low end stuff so far but this is mainly because the high end gear doesn't seem significantly better and certainly not worth the money!

Silly example but hooks, I have bought a range over here, then the boxes arrived and I tried using the european ones, hooked myself a few times as they are so much sharper than what I have become used to!

To give an indication of how bad it has become I was looking at an Alvey combo the other day and thinking seriously about it . I regret not bringing my gear over, even though much of it would be OTT for the conditions at least it had some refinements. I'd rather import a multiplier (525) and light beach caster than pay through the nose for what passes for a surf set up over here.

Am I alone? or is it a case of getting used to it? I can't remember the last fibreglass rod I saw until I came here and they are the norm with the notable (expensive) exceptions.

Rant over!
Old Nov 27th 2012, 9:45 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fishing equipment, is it just me?

Not alone......fishing tackle here is both crap and very expensive......years behind.
Mostly it is imported rubbish sold under the pretext of "made for Australian conditions".

I buy my gear from the UK or from America......much better and far cheaper.

I once asked a dealer why they still used fibre glass blanks and he told me there was no demand for carbon.......it wouldn't handle Australian fish
Old Nov 27th 2012, 10:00 am
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Not alone......fishing tackle here is both crap and very expensive......years behind.
Mostly it is imported rubbish sold under the pretext of "made for Australian conditions".

I buy my gear from the UK or from America......much better and far cheaper.

I once asked a dealer why they still used fibre glass blanks and he told me there was no demand for carbon.......it wouldn't handle Australian fish
Pray tell, where do you shop and what's the go with customs/ tax on international deliveries?

I was told yesterday that if you dropped a fixed spool in the sand it would kill it, I said yeah it wouldn't last long being treated like that. He said no it would never work again from that point on He was trying to sell me an Alvey... I sh@t you not!
Old Nov 27th 2012, 10:11 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rinkerdink
Pray tell, where do you shop and what's the go with customs/ tax on international deliveries?

I was told yesterday that if you dropped a fixed spool in the sand it would kill it, I said yeah it wouldn't last long being treated like that. He said no it would never work again from that point on He was trying to sell me an Alvey... I sh@t you not!
Mostly Internet shopping from US. Dramatically cheaper for exactly the same stuff ( not made for Australian conditions though ).

No import tax unless it is in the thousands.....you would need to check the exact amount but certainly over a thousand.

UK stuff I buy when I am back in UK.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

.it wouldn't handle Australian fish
thank god I only ask for NZ fish to get on my lines
Old Nov 27th 2012, 10:19 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
thank god I only ask for NZ fish to get on my lines
Strangely the gear on sale in NZ is far better that that in Australia.....haven't got a clue why that should be
Old Nov 27th 2012, 10:20 am
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

Mostly Internet shopping from US. Dramatically cheaper for exactly the same stuff ( not made for Australian conditions though ).

No import tax unless it is in the thousands.....you would need to check the exact amount but certainly over a thousand.

UK stuff I buy when I am back in UK.
Cheers, just saw a Penn 525 mag2 at near parity $ for $ from US so much cheaper to wait for the delivery thought there was a catch but it seems not. Just need to spec. the rod now and i'm away, looking to launch a bait towards the horizon for a surprise, I can't see myself ever pissballing around for long close in chasing whiting.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 10:23 am
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

Strangely the gear on sale in NZ is far better that that in Australia.....haven't got a clue why that should be
I noticed that in the research so far, i stumbled on a site and it was like hello, now we're talkin, then noticed the kiwi address...
Old Nov 27th 2012, 10:27 am
Bitter and twisted

Cheers, just saw a Penn 525 mag2 at near parity $ for $ from US so much cheaper to wait for the delivery thought there was a catch but it seems not. Just need to spec. the rod now and i'm away, looking to launch a bait towards the horizon for a surprise, I can't see myself ever pissballing around for long close in chasing whiting.
UK style beach casting blanks are the best......or South African (mostly the same).

TBH a decent carp fishing rod will cover most shore fishing here.....I brought several with me

If you can cast 100 yards or so you will be fishing in water the locals will never reach with their floppy glass (overpriced) rods.....Just fish a simple paternoster rig at long range.....trust me it works a treat
Old Nov 27th 2012, 11:09 am
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

UK style beach casting blanks are the best......or South African (mostly the same).

TBH a decent carp fishing rod will cover most shore fishing here.....I brought several with me

If you can cast 100 yards or so you will be fishing in water the locals will never reach with their floppy glass (overpriced) rods.....Just fish a simple paternoster rig at long range.....trust me it works a treat
Thats what i hoped, a cheap heavy carp rod, decent reel, mid range-ish casting and i'll be practically boat fishing
Old Nov 27th 2012, 11:23 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

ARM THE FISH !!!!!
Old Nov 28th 2012, 12:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

Another option is buying gear from online shops in Japan, like plat.co.jp or a few others. Japan specs gear is years ahead.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:29 am
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

Had a look today and found this

http://www.fishingmegastore.com/grey...ods~10524.html

Looks to be the goods and perfect for 3oz blasted out as far as possible and not too heavy, thinking about the okuma reel to go with it,

Any thoughts?
Old Nov 28th 2012, 7:24 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Had a look today and found this

l

Looks to be the goods and perfect for 3oz blasted out as far as possible and not too heavy, thinking about the okuma reel to go with it,

Any thoughts?
I've upgraded most of my tackle recently, been here long enough to know what's crap & what's o.k.
I bought a pair of Okuma overheads for my son & myself they lasted less than a year. The rivets, cheap nasty mild steel ones, rotted through & they fell to pieces.
I dearly wish I'd brought a lot of my gear...............
Old Nov 28th 2012, 7:29 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

or is it a bit old fashioned in Australia?

I hate the "back home we did it like this" crap but this fishing equipment is one area where it seems way behind. Ok I have only bought low end stuff so far but this is mainly because the high end gear doesn't seem significantly better and certainly not worth the money!

Silly example but hooks, I have bought a range over here, then the boxes arrived and I tried using the european ones, hooked myself a few times as they are so much sharper than what I have become used to!

To give an indication of how bad it has become I was looking at an Alvey combo the other day and thinking seriously about it . I regret not bringing my gear over, even though much of it would be OTT for the conditions at least it had some refinements. I'd rather import a multiplier (525) and light beach caster than pay through the nose for what passes for a surf set up over here.

Am I alone? or is it a case of getting used to it? I can't remember the last fibreglass rod I saw until I came here and they are the norm with the notable (expensive) exceptions.

Rant over!
Do what most people do with their hobby equipment now - buy it on the internet from overseas

Local shops get very few of my AUDs at the moment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.