First visit

Old Jul 20th 2016, 10:15 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First visit

Originally Posted by yorkshire4
Hey there, thanks so much for the replies, turns out I was slightly wrong, we are now going to Brisbane! And after some 8 or 9 years chatting about it we have actually booked the flights so big steps forward there!
So, Brisbane, gold Coast, sunshine coast, what's the best things to see and do whilst we visit?
Thanks 😉
If you're doing a true recce, then the best things to see and do whilst here is to live like a local. Grocery shop in the regular supermarkets at 5:00 pm (i.e. on the way home from work and had to stop to pick up a few things). Get up at 6 and drive into the city from your suburban home base to see what traffic is like. Spend the days cleaning the house and running the kids to and from school/sports/dance/whatever.

What not to do is visit all the local tourist attractions. People who live places generally don't spend a few weeks at Sea World or Australia Zoo.
Old Jul 21st 2016, 5:55 am
Just Joined

yorkshire4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah I kind of guessed that, but we aren't coming 10,000 miles to Potter round the house dusting the telly.

Drives around suburbia will happen, traffic will be observed and supermarkets will be visited probably more often than they should.

Sea life centre I can do without, a zoo will probably be on the cards as a koala cuddle is a must in my daughters eyes.

Anyway, thanks for the replies so far 😁
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

For tourist stuff just take your pick!
Theme parks (Movie World, DreamWorld, Wet n Wild)
Animals - Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary, Australia Zoo, Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary
Surfers Paradise
Tambourine Mountain
Bribe Island
Mt Coot-Tha Lookout
Botanic gardens, Southbank and a River cruise at Brisbane

Honestly, just google. There are too many to name. Queensland is a fab place for a first visit to Australia, but as said it won't really give you a great insight into living over here. Especially the Gold Coast which is a high tourist place (Blackpool with sun ) Nice to visit but many wouldn't want to live there permanently.

You'll have a great time xx
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 6:28 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I kind of guessed that, but we aren't coming 10,000 miles to Potter round the house dusting the telly.

Drives around suburbia will happen, traffic will be observed and supermarkets will be visited probably more often than they should.

Sea life centre I can do without, a zoo will probably be on the cards as a koala cuddle is a must in my daughters eyes.

Dorothy is right on - do not underestimate the difference between a stay as a tourist (however long) and being a resident.

Actually living in any country is vastly different to visiting - even long visits. I spent four months at a time working out of Sydney for three years running - and still had no idea what it was really like when we emigrated.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 6:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Dorothy is right on - do not underestimate the difference between a stay as a tourist (however long) and being a resident.

Actually living in any country is vastly different to visiting - even long visits. I spent four months at a time working out of Sydney for three years running - and still had no idea what it was really like when we emigrated.
And you'll take it to your deathbed Wol...

My year in Sydney did not prepare me for the fact that estates existed in Australian suburbia: had no idea they existed : I assumed Australia was wall to wall 'neighbours' housing ...
Old Jul 24th 2016, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Don't observe it, live it, at least for one or two days in both directions. You are not coming holiday and then realising after you get home that you might want to consider a move to Oz. You already have that option squarely on your radar.

By all means have a great time but don't disregard the practicalities of real world living in favour of looking at a comatose crocodile having coins thrown at it by schoolies.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 9:49 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jilliebee
For tourist stuff just take your pick!
Theme parks (Movie World, DreamWorld, Wet n Wild)
Animals - Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary, Australia Zoo, Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary
Surfers Paradise
Tambourine Mountain
Bribe Island
Mt Coot-Tha Lookout
Botanic gardens, Southbank and a River cruise at Brisbane

Honestly, just google. There are too many to name. Queensland is a fab place for a first visit to Australia, but as said it won't really give you a great insight into living over here. Especially the Gold Coast which is a high tourist place (Blackpool with sun ) Nice to visit but many wouldn't want to live there permanently.

You'll have a great time xx
Why on earth would anyone suggest Surfers as a place to visit? I've had a holiday in Blackpool and after 10+ years on the Gold Coast I can absolutely guarantee it's nothing like Blackpool - with or without the wink. I'd have thought if someone was considering living here/Sunny Coast/Brisbane coming to QLD would be the best idea and give the best insight. I'm missing something.
Old Jul 26th 2016, 7:50 am
Just Joined

Some great replies here guys, thanks, I think we've kinda decided to mini tour, gonna get over the jetlag for a couple of days in brisbane, then head north, then north a bit more (I think!) I'm just waiting for a work colleague to bring me a book so I can have a read and come up with a concrete plan!

That comatose Croc post cracked me up tho 😂😂😂😂
Old Jul 26th 2016, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Why on earth would anyone suggest Surfers as a place to visit? .
The OP asked for places to visit and things to do and see on the Gold Coast - so that's why I mentioned Surfers! Seemed quite a logical choice to me x
Old Jul 26th 2016, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Back up a step... OP you said your father lived in Aus as a child. Did he perhaps gain Australian citizenship whilst there? Because that would mean alot of your immigration problems solved.
Old Jul 26th 2016, 11:25 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Back up a step... OP you said your father lived in Aus as a child. Did he perhaps gain Australian citizenship whilst there? Because that would mean alot of your immigration problems solved.
A lot.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 5:38 am
Just Joined

I doubt it, he's never mentioned it anyway, all I know is his 10th birthday was on a boat on the way there and his 11th was on the way back. Oh and he went to school on a horse.😀😀
Old Jul 27th 2016, 6:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I am an electrician and the Mrs is a dental practice manager/ dental nurse, we were under the impression that perth was on the up with a thriving economy, other than that we aren't thinking of a massive big city move, we are open to all suggestions so please share the knowledge, all viewpoints are appreciated 😉
Not a great choice at the moment with the declining economy but still too over priced.

From what I have read, an electrician cannot just arrive and start work. They need to Aussie qualify first. I'm sure others with more knowledge than me on that will fill in the detail.

Perth was certainly during the boom years a thriving economy and don't the rest of us know it. Prices hit the roof.

Many have left since those days, population increase has slowed right down, but 5% rental market, should ensure little problem finding a rental, unlike boom days, when queues could be seen around a block seeking out an interview with real estate in order to be able to acquire a rental.

Who knows your story could be different, but best arrive with eyes open.
Old Apr 30th 2017, 7:12 am
Just Joined

just a quick update on this, we had a fantastic time in Brisbane and are full steam ahead for the visa, thank you for all the input people have given so far, see you again soon Oz
Old Apr 30th 2017, 8:54 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Took me 30 years of living in Aus before I got to see Perth. It's just shy of 3,000 K's from here in Melbourne, or 4 days drive. Let that sink in for a bit. Turned out it was much much better than I thought it would be, It does have a great ambience about it, it does have a little bit of comparatively old history, Well Fremantle does (Something which is thin on the ground here in Aus and something you'll miss after a while) I'd try and take a look if I were you.........but It's remote, going backwards, that will change in time as it's always been boom and bust. It is a decent place though with many fantastic aspects.

Whereas Melbourne.......... What can I say. There are many real reasons it keeps featuring as one of the best cities in the world to live. Problem is that fact alone spoils other places for you.... Oh and Melbourne takes quite a while to grow on you, once it does your hooked.
4 days drive if you're a Pom or Aussie (who drive like their grannies), 2 days if you're a Saffa and drive properly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.