Feels a bit strange

Old Nov 9th 2007, 6:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feels a bit strange

Two years. Not in Adelaide though
Old Nov 9th 2007, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Glasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ozzieeagle
I still have my accent though a bit of a watered down version. I forget I've got one till I ask for a coke!
Old Nov 9th 2007, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glasgowlass
Hi ozzieeagle
I still have my accent though a bit of a watered down version. I forget I've got one till I ask for a coke!
That should say "Glesga lassie". Get yur auld accent back coz a huv great fun wi it at work. Coke, you got me there. Only been here over the year. Whereaboots ur ye fae in Glesga. Soapys fae govanhill and hoose prices huv went throo the roof since he left. Am fae sunny Clydebank for my sins. The posh part.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Glasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond repute

I was out one night and the waiter asked me what I wanted to drink and I asked for a coke...he came back with a cork!

I'm from Uddingston and no not the posh bit.

I'd love to relax and talk properly but I can't stand the stupid looks I get back. How do you get on?
Old Nov 10th 2007, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute

I was out one night and the waiter asked me what I wanted to drink and I asked for a coke...he came back with a cork!

I'm from Uddingston and no not the posh bit.

I'd love to relax and talk properly but I can't stand the stupid looks I get back. How do you get on?
Coke....Cork. Billiant. Did they no make the tea cakes in Uddingston or am a talkin pish
Old Nov 10th 2007, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Hiya Framac
They do indeed make teacakes in Uddingston and they sell them in Coles down the road from me! What more could a wee lassie want?
Old Nov 10th 2007, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

Is there anybody out there that hasn't just arrived?? I feel like a bit of an outsider expat on here.
Me. I've been here 10 yrs.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

How did you find meeting other people 10 years ago?
Old Nov 10th 2007, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

How did you find meeting other people 10 years ago?
It took a long time but I didn't expect it to be any other way. I know when I've relocatd in UK it's taken ages.

We arrived at the end of November so school was just about to finish for the year. Just enough time to get enrolled and uniforms then 8 weeks where I didn't speak to anyone other than my OH, kids and people in shops. It even took a long time to get to anyone once they were at school. it was 6 months before I felt confident enough to invite people over and that was for a kids birthday party.

I wish BE had been around then. We came to Sydney almost blind - only had tourist books for info and didn't know a soul. Had never been there before - no recce as we were broke.

How about you?
Old Nov 10th 2007, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

No reccie for me either, I came with whatever info was in a very small tourist book on Adelaide. When I finally got a job the women I worked with were great and took me under their wing(s) but they were all my mums age. So the first years were difficult in terms of finding people my own age (20). And there was a couple of English women there who were the life and soul so I think that made a difference.
Anyway, to cut a long story short I've found it difficult to make anything but acquaintances over the years. The Aussies are super friendly and I love that about them but I find that their only friendly to a point. I guess I just wanted to know that prior to these fabulous forums did anybody find it hard to fit in with the locals?
It's just an observation on my part so I apologise if I'm offending anybody!
Old Nov 10th 2007, 5:55 am
BE Enthusiast

A lot of people on here say the same thing which has really made me think about my friendships!
I don't really think that Aussies are only friendly up to a point - I just think it takes a LONG time to replace old friends. Also, other poms have an understanding of a large part of you/your life (emigrating) that most Aussies just can't understand (unless of course they have done something similar). Which is why we tend to get on better I think.
That's my experience anyway FWIW
Old Nov 10th 2007, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really nice

I've been here for ten years and it is hard to make friends and I agree, I think it's because you can't replace the closeness you had with those you left behind. I also have found that although the Aussies are really friendly, a lot of them only chat to you to find out about you (sticky beaks). I was lucky because I came over to join my daughter who married a Brisbane guy and emigrated 8 years before I did so had a good start with meeting people.
Still miss my friends at home though.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 10:31 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I find this whole 'Australians aren't friendly' thing completely alien. I have met and made some wonderful friends here... I have two incredibly close friends that I know would do anything for me... They're fabulous.
I have a larger circle of friends that I catch up with from time to time as well as my two very close friends. I agree it's easier with British people because we have a shared history, but I don't see it as a barrier.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

I don't think anyone's said the aussies aren't friendly? They're very friendly. The point I was making is that I have found it difficult to get past the acquaintance stage with them. In other words they let you (me, or whoever) in so far, maybe the odd bbq, but it never gets any further than that. You're very lucky to have broken through, so to speak.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 10:46 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think anyone's said the aussies aren't friendly? They're very friendly. The point I was making is that I have found it difficult to get past the acquaintance stage with them. In other words they let you (me, or whoever) in so far, maybe the odd bbq, but it never gets any further than that. You're very lucky to have broken through, so to speak.
There's lots of comment on this site about Aussies not being friendly or being 'shallow' or 'surface' but either way, I didn't feel as if I was breaking through anything.
And it wasn't anything to do with luck either.
It's been no different to getting friends in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.