Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

"Expat" vs "Immigrant" ... Is the title of this website perpetuating racism?

"Expat" vs "Immigrant" ... Is the title of this website perpetuating racism?

Old Feb 9th 2017, 9:46 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Expat" vs "Immigrant" ... Is the title of this website perpetuating racism?

Originally Posted by OzTennis
I wasn't thinking of you actually, the Breitbart News and dot com is too far left in thinking for you.
True

Looks like Bannon is the real president too
Old Feb 10th 2017, 11:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Expat" vs "Immigrant" ... Is the title of this website perpetuating racism?

Originally Posted by GarryP
On the first, I'll have no truck with people attacking others due to the circumstances of their birth - over which they have no control. That goes equally for SJW-types attacking those who are white, male and bought up in the west - or if they were black, female and bought up in Africa. They are equally wrong and bigoted. The racists at least have the good grace to hide and be embarrassed about it.

For the second, it does make a difference if someone decides to hop from living in the UK to living in Australia, or if they escape Somalia to live in Australia. Personally I feel the first is more defensible, change locale on only a slightly different scale to changing town. In the case of the second you are taking the best and brightest from a country that desperately needs their skills, so that the 1st world country can benefit. The individual might be better off, but society is worse off on average. One is a fair level trade, and the other a taking away of talent.

There, did that confuse you further, or do you see how it's compatible with everything else I've said ?
I agree. I've had enough of gender politics, check your privilege and trigger warnings. This last year I think there is a backlash and it's why Trump got in. The Left are in denial.

I read an article the other day which scoffed at White Privilege..what no one tells you is that white privilege gets you places but it's tough being there ;-) due to the expectations ...ask anyone senior in corporate life : it's not always easy. Fun, but there are pressures that go with the territory.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 12:33 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting thoughts all.

Look, I'm not planning on going back to the UK, I like it here, have an Aussie kid and have an Aussie passport (having let the British one lapse). Doesn't stop me from wishing the Aussie cricket team every calamity tho.

I just found it particularly interesting that I'd be pulled up for using the term expat on other discussion forums. Maybe it's a case of people being too sensitive or maybe it runs deeper, dunno.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 12:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim

Look, I'm not planning on going back to the UK, I like it here, have an Aussie kid and have an Aussie passport (having let the British one lapse). Doesn't stop me from wishing the Aussie cricket team every calamity tho.

I just found it particularly interesting that I'd be pulled up for using the term expat on other discussion forums. Maybe it's a case of people being too sensitive or maybe it runs deeper, dunno.
Expatriate is literally a person living away from their native country or country of birth but in another sense people like prisoners can be expatriated overseas which is not as nice. I guess like a lot of words it is the context it is said or used in which can change the meaning.

e.g. I wish the England cricket team every calamity and have done all my life you pommy b*****d with the last phrase said in an endearing and friendly rather than a nasty way.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

To the Americans, I'm an immigrant. To Brits, I'm an ExPat (more accurately, emigrant, but rarely used).

I don't consider either to be inferior, superior, insulting or anything other than a description of my status.

I think the term ExPat relates to where you're from and immigrant relates to where you are now.

As an aside: Why does immigrant have 2 'm's and emigrant only 1? Damn the English language!
Old Feb 10th 2017, 1:08 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim

Might catch up with you in November
Old Feb 10th 2017, 1:12 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Expatriate is literally a person living away from their native country or country of birth but in another sense people like prisoners can be expatriated overseas which is not as nice. I guess like a lot of words it is the context it is said or used in which can change the meaning.

e.g. I wish the England cricket team every calamity and have done all my life you pommy b*****d with the last phrase said in an endearing and friendly rather than a nasty way.
Yes, the dictionary definition is pretty clear which makes the fact some people can take exception interesting.

Your last sentiment is noted but will help you little as a bowling attack that can swing the ball routs a batting line-up that is a victim of its primitive colonial instincts.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
To the Americans, I'm an immigrant. To Brits, I'm an ExPat (more accurately, emigrant, but rarely used).

I don't consider either to be inferior, superior, insulting or anything other than a description of my status.

I think the term ExPat relates to where you're from and immigrant relates to where you are now.

As an aside: Why does immigrant have 2 'm's and emigrant only 1? Damn the English language!
Question: would a Spelling Centre in a country using British English and a Spelling Center in a country using American English both use 1 'm' in emigrant and 2 'm's' in immigrant?
Old Feb 12th 2017, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
Well, I guess the Americans assume you're there for good, and your British friends assume you'll come back home on day. Would that explain it? Here's another question: at what point should an ex-patriate (or an immigrant) become an ex-patriot? I know a great many immigrants who never give up their patriotism - their loyalty towards the place they left behind.
Old Feb 12th 2017, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

Mark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond repute

I think Immigrant for the one who lived in a country till they got the citizenship, mainly they don't want to come back and settle in their home country but expat for temporarily immigration, mainly with the deep intention to come back home one day
Old Feb 12th 2017, 5:55 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Well, I guess the Americans assume you're there for good, and your British friends assume you'll come back home on day. Would that explain it? Here's another question: at what point should an ex-patriate (or an immigrant) become an ex-patriot? I know a great many immigrants who never give up their patriotism - their loyalty towards the place they left behind.
I don't think loyalty's an either/or thing. You can be loyal to and love your old and new countries. I do.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I don't think loyalty's an either/or thing. You can be loyal to and love your old and new countries. I do.
Well, spouse, in a challenge to Britain's Indian immigrants, the British politician Whatsisname Tebbitts reduced the argument to: Who do you cheer for in a cricket match - England or India? Put to the test (so to speak), which country's team would you cheer for at the Olympics - Australia or Great Britain? Or cricket, of course, if you're into cricket. You may be strictly neutral and not care a jot - good for you! - and so may I (although I usually support the underdog in any sporting contest) - good for me! But not everybody does; not everybody's loyalty is shared exactly equally. Any other BE members have an opinion on the matter?
Old Feb 14th 2017, 3:51 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
... which country's team would you cheer for at the Olympics - Australia or Great Britain? Any other BE members have an opinion on the matter?
Whosoever is winning, obviously.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
On the first, I'll have no truck with people attacking others due to the circumstances of their birth - over which they have no control. That goes equally for SJW-types attacking those who are white, male and bought up in the west - or if they were black, female and bought up in Africa. They are equally wrong and bigoted. The racists at least have the good grace to hide and be embarrassed about it.

For the second, it does make a difference if someone decides to hop from living in the UK to living in Australia, or if they escape Somalia to live in Australia. Personally I feel the first is more defensible, change locale on only a slightly different scale to changing town. In the case of the second you are taking the best and brightest from a country that desperately needs their skills, so that the 1st world country can benefit. The individual might be better off, but society is worse off on average. One is a fair level trade, and the other a taking away of talent.

There, did that confuse you further, or do you see how it's compatible with everything else I've said ?
"Don't judge me based on where I was born!"

*goes on to judge people based on where they were born*
Old Feb 14th 2017, 5:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
"Don't judge me based on where I was born!"

*goes on to judge people based on where they were born*
Seems like a fair point

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.