Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

"Expat" vs "Immigrant" ... Is the title of this website perpetuating racism?

"Expat" vs "Immigrant" ... Is the title of this website perpetuating racism?

Old Feb 8th 2017, 10:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Expat" vs "Immigrant" ... Is the title of this website perpetuating racism?

Originally Posted by OzTennis
(I've got a blue and a wine passport - what colour will the latter be post Brexit? That's another issue).

I just regard myself as Australian whether I'm in Scotland or 'home'. I don't think of expat, immigrant or emigrant (just to add another dimension as you can regard yourself as an immigrant in the country you've moved to or an emigrant from the country you've left).

I suppose I would add first before citizenship in the following dictionary definition of expat:

An expatriate (often shortened to expat) is a person temporarily or permanently residing, as an immigrant, in a country other than that of their citizenship. The word comes from the Latin terms ex ("out of") and patria ("country, fatherland").
I have a UK and US passport. I always think and refer to myself as British. I will never think of myself as anything else.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Expat" vs "Immigrant" ... Is the title of this website perpetuating racism?

One thing which has occurred to me more and more is that the title of this website or forum - British Expats - is in some people's favourites/bookmarks right next to Breitbart News - so we are getting a lot of threads and posts meant for the latter rather than the former.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 6:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
On the first, I'll have no truck with people attacking others due to the circumstances of their birth - over which they have no control. That goes equally for SJW-types attacking those who are white, male and bought up in the west - or if they were black, female and bought up in Africa. They are equally wrong and bigoted. The racists at least have the good grace to hide and be embarrassed about it.

For the second, it does make a difference if someone decides to hop from living in the UK to living in Australia, or if they escape Somalia to live in Australia. Personally I feel the first is more defensible, change locale on only a slightly different scale to changing town. In the case of the second you are taking the best and brightest from a country that desperately needs their skills, so that the 1st world country can benefit. The individual might be better off, but society is worse off on average. One is a fair level trade, and the other a taking away of talent.

There, did that confuse you further, or do you see how it's compatible with everything else I've said ?
To me pretty simple- an "expat" generally someone who is outside their own country usually considered not permanent but can become so and more precisely would then be an immigrant.

As far as being worried what some PC person may think if I use the phrase "expat" or "immigrant" I haven't the slightest concern, except such people tend to get offended easily or often seem ashamed of who they are, I would be careful in choice of words just to be polite.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

One thing which has occurred to me more and more is that the title of this website or forum - British Expats - is in some people's favourites/bookmarks right next to Breitbart News - so we are getting a lot of threads and posts meant for the latter rather than the former.
I assumed for BE there wasn't a requirement to be of any particular political persuasion.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 7:55 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone who moves to another country to live is both! They emigrate from their home country, immigrate to their new country, and are expats of their home country. Can't see the problem, myself.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
I assumed for BE there wasn't a requirement to be of any particular political persuasion.
I don't think it's quite a requirement, yet... But some posters (including some moderators) blatantly advertise their contempt for those whose partisan-political persuasion is different from their own, and deliberately go beyond the bounds of courtesy. So perhaps the day will soon come. We must hope not, of course.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 9:14 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I think of expats as temp citizens working in a foreign country intending upon going back "home" at some point. Me, I'm an official Aussie, no U.K passport just the blue one. That won't stop me supporting England in the Rugby, England in the Cricket and The Bronco's in the NRL as well as the Heat in the BBL & the Reds in the Rugby. I'm not a soccer fan, I don't have a good enough arm for throwing punches or flares.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
I don't think it's quite a requirement, yet... But some posters (including some moderators) blatantly advertise their contempt for those whose partisan-political persuasion is different from their own, and deliberately go beyond the bounds of courtesy. So perhaps the day will soon come. We must hope not, of course.
Quite agree. An interesting Forum. People often quite passionate, I wonder if they speak that way to others in person.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with others. Expat appears to be a temporary, 1st worlder going somewhere and cashing up where as an immigrant tends to be a 3rd worlder heading somewhere on a more permanent basis cashing up.

If the PC brigade want to be offended by it let them.

What about "ten pound poms"?
Old Feb 8th 2017, 11:00 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

This post sparked my curiosity to have a look at Breibart for the first time

Cool website and you can even buy merchandise. I've just ordered a Border Wall Construction Co t-shirt
Old Feb 8th 2017, 11:02 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

There isn't but some posters on here are, how can we put it, a bit precious and overly sensitive
Old Feb 8th 2017, 11:03 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Beoz
Just for clarity, I did not hack Garry's account. Zulu, did you?
I confess. It was me
Old Feb 8th 2017, 11:13 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Get over yourself champ

There are a set of rules to posting on here. Stick to them and you're cool. That is the only requirement

Hope this helps
Old Feb 8th 2017, 11:14 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Quite agree. An interesting Forum. People often quite passionate, I wonder if they speak that way to others in person.
Political leanings have never been, and never will be a requirement on BE. How could it when it brings together thousands of people from around the world? Do people discuss politics? Obviously, it's a human characteristic. Do some get worked up over it? Definitely. Do some not care in the slightest that someone they're 'speaking' to is of a different political persuasion than they? Without a doubt, it makes the discussion more interesting. Do some assume contempt and abuse where there is none? Undeniably.

Anyway back to the subject, I don't class myself as anything in this respect. I moved to another country, I am a citizen of that country. That's it as far as I'm concerned, not everything needs a label.
Old Feb 9th 2017, 7:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
This post sparked my curiosity to have a look at Breibart for the first time

Cool website and you can even buy merchandise. I've just ordered a Border Wall Construction Co t-shirt
I wasn't thinking of you actually, the Breitbart News and dot com is too far left in thinking for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.