Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Employer Breathaliser Help and Info please

Employer Breathaliser Help and Info please

Old Aug 1st 2014, 1:15 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employer Breathaliser Help and Info please

Originally Posted by mikelincs
In the UK rail staff are also randomly checked for drugs, and here it is instant termination, and it's all staff as well, but they are usually given some sort of date for the test, perhaps a couple of days notice.
I can't remember in the UK if Himself was ever given a date for drug testing - but here they just come in and do a total sweep - drugs and alcohol, no warning.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 1:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm on the Railway in the Pilbara, and for us it's breatho every morning (0) and piss test on average every couple of months, it's really not worth taking a risk
Old Aug 1st 2014, 1:38 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
I can't remember in the UK if Himself was ever given a date for drug testing - but here they just come in and do a total sweep - drugs and alcohol, no warning.
We used to get random testing in the UK - office based

Very common in resources in Australia. This is the first office that I have worked in where it is not done
Old Aug 1st 2014, 7:21 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
We used to get random testing in the UK - office based

Very common in resources in Australia. This is the first office that I have worked in where it is not done
We used to do drug testing for one company in the UK, on all job applicants, any that tested positive failed their interview. I remember being involved at the collection stage and filling in the form asking one lad if he had taken any drugs, and he was told this included OTC drugs, and when they were taken, he answered NO, and then tested positive for cannabis. No-one was ever told their results, just that they didn't get the job. The reason they were being tested was that the company made brake linings for an American car manufacturer, and the US company had a rule that no-one with any grug problem or history was allowed to be employed by any of it's suppliers.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 7:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

We used to do drug testing for one company in the UK, on all job applicants, any that tested positive failed their interview. I remember being involved at the collection stage and filling in the form asking one lad if he had taken any drugs, and he was told this included OTC drugs, and when they were taken, he answered NO, and then tested positive for cannabis. No-one was ever told their results, just that they didn't get the job. The reason they were being tested was that the company made brake linings for an American car manufacturer, and the US company had a rule that no-one with any grug problem or history was allowed to be employed by any of it's suppliers.
I've seen that on that RBT show. I take that different drugs stay longer in the system than others. Lets say you whooshed up a line of buzz at that party on Saturday night. Are you going to fail a drug (work or car) test say the following Wednesday?
Old Aug 1st 2014, 7:31 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I've seen that on that RBT show. I take that different drugs stay longer in the system than others. Lets say you whooshed up a line of buzz at that party on Saturday night. Are you going to fail a drug (work or car) test say the following Wednesday?
Probably not, but had it been cannabis, the answer would probably be yes, as that is the one that stays longest in the system, in some cases you could test positive a month later.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 9:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Probably not, but had it been cannabis, the answer would probably be yes, as that is the one that stays longest in the system, in some cases you could test positive a month later.
Wow. So if you have a toot on a dooby on a saturday night at a party, those RBT boys can do you in a few weeks later?
Old Aug 1st 2014, 9:51 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Beoz
Wow. So if you have a toot on a dooby on a saturday night at a party, those RBT boys can do you in a few weeks later?
depends how much you smoke, your body weight, whether you skip breakfast on the morning of the test, all will affect the result. The active ingredient that is tested for is fat soluble, so if you are overweight, then you have more fat to staore it, if you smoke more, then you will absorb more. If, on the morning of the test you skip breakfast, you body will mobilise fat stores to give you energy, but that will release any stored cannabinoids into your bloodstream, and therefore into the urine. We did a few 'pretest' checks on people who were worried about an upcoming test, but we always told them that a negative finding by us didn't necessarily mean they would be negative on the test day.