Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Education Is A Degree Still Worth Doing?

Education Is A Degree Still Worth Doing?

Old Jan 21st 2018, 6:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Education Is A Degree Still Worth Doing?

Originally Posted by the troubadour
The only reason I can begin to imagine to would consider, something well documented, as it is too close to home.

Please explain why the number of apprenticeships have declined so rapidly over the past decade plus? Regardless of initial cost (wages lower) there are far more considerations. A lot of business prefers a hands on fully qualified, ready to contribute fully from day one, especially if on a 457 that can be terminated with the employee dependant largely on keeping on 'the good side' of their employer.

I know you are not from here, but before in future you call a post of mine 'nonsense' you may reflect a little deeper , your limitations clearly evident into work place behaviour though hardly restricted to that subject alone.
With all due respect, I haven't met many 457 tradies.
It seems to me that people are still getting apprenceships of sorts - has it just been renamed? Is it just a tighter market?
Old Jan 21st 2018, 8:59 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
It seems to me that people are still getting apprenceships of sorts - has it just been renamed? Is it just a tighter market?
There are still apprenticeships - and even adult apprenticeships - but not many, and competition is tight.

Also, if work dries up, the apprentice is laid off and left looking for someone to pick up the practical experience training since most apprentices seem to be taken on by an RTO and farmed out to employers to get the on-the-job training. You can't pass an apprenticeship until you have completed both technical training and practical experience.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 7:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

No afraid not. Without going into too much detail I'll just quote you the figures.

Australia Wide.......282,500 as of June last year......

Compare this with 515,000 in June 2012. Even you may concede this is quite a fall.

Even Chamber of Commerce voiced concern......
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Please explain why the number of apprenticeships have declined so rapidly over the past decade plus? Regardless of initial cost (wages lower) there are far more considerations. A lot of business prefers a hands on fully qualified, ready to contribute fully from day one, especially if on a 457 that can be terminated with the employee dependant largely on keeping on 'the good side' of their employer.
OK. Happy to.

https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/BriefingBook45p/Apprenticeships

Nothing about imported labour. The apprenticeship topic is an utter failed argument to throw at your skilled migration resentment.

I know you are not from here, but before in future you call a post of mine 'nonsense' you may reflect a little deeper , your limitations clearly evident into work place behaviour though hardly restricted to that subject alone.
Officially I have lived in Australia for more than half my life. Speaking of nonsense.
Old Jan 26th 2018, 11:37 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

My youngest got so much grief from teachers for knowing point blank that she had no intention of going to Uni. Some of the teachers told her she had to. They'd talk to me practically on a weekly basis (I worked in the school for several years) and ask me why I wasn't insisting she 'sort herself out'. They didn't like my response. If she wanted to go, she'd have made sure she got what she wanted but she didn't. If she changes her mind in x years so be it but I actually really hate that schools almost force Uni straight from school. Most kids suffer some form of education overload and to finish Grade 12 then two months later start Uni is madness imo.
Old Jan 26th 2018, 8:33 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't it the case though, that when university degrees become commonplace, they then become the minimum qualification standard any but the most basic jobs? That seems to be the case in Canada, and increasingly in the UK. Obviously technical qualifications are an exception to this.
Old Jan 26th 2018, 9:14 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I actually really hate that schools almost force Uni straight from school. Most kids suffer some form of education overload and to finish Grade 12 then two months later start Uni is madness imo.
Personally I think they should enforce a gap year.

At present they go from school to school to university and they are all treated the same by the kid - with the consequence that they think university is to be treated the same as a kiddy class (ignoring they are paying large sums for it), and they get dumped out of university with a piece of paper and no smarts about the world (particularly in Australia).

We are in a world where that piece of paper is an entry slip to most reasonable jobs, but where it doesn't really actually grant you entry anymore. The positions just aren't there, companies won't train, and graduates are expected to work for nothing just to get some experience. And that's only going to get worse over the coming years.

As far as I can see you are better off learning the basics of entrepreneurship and running your own business if you are looking at future prospects, with the university thing being a tickbox item. And that's an ideal activity for a gap year, as well as seeing something of the world. Get a company off the ground and either don't bother with university at all, or have something to generate income whilst you acquire the piece of paper.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 5:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Stuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
My youngest got so much grief from teachers for knowing point blank that she had no intention of going to Uni. Some of the teachers told her she had to. They'd talk to me practically on a weekly basis (I worked in the school for several years) and ask me why I wasn't insisting she 'sort herself out'. They didn't like my response. If she wanted to go, she'd have made sure she got what she wanted but she didn't. If she changes her mind in x years so be it but I actually really hate that schools almost force Uni straight from school. Most kids suffer some form of education overload and to finish Grade 12 then two months later start Uni is madness imo.
They forget the journey is bigger than the vehicle.

Sometimes the vehicle changes to get to your destination

It infuriates my daughters school that the teachers need to address my wife as "Dr" when she is part timing as teachers aide.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 12:19 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, I don’t have a Degree and my wife has three.

We are both still alive so therefore I win based on net brain effort expended.

Three degrees, yes, the jokes write themselves.

I have a cycling proficiency certificate and a HND in Software Engineering (Distinction first year then discovered drinking, guitars and women so ended with a lowly Merit to flop over the line). Clearly better than any number of Degrees.

This cannot be rationally argued against, so don’t bother.

Last edited by DeadVim; Feb 1st 2018 at 12:24 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim

I have a cycling proficiency certificate and a HND in Software Engineering (Distinction first year then discovered drinking, guitars and women so ended with a lowly Merit to flop over the line). Clearly better than any number of Degrees.

A cycling proficiency certificate? Is that like a drivers license (add that to the list if you have one of those)
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 9:57 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Just my 2p worth

An apprenticeship is invaluable for any ‘trade’ and typically shows commitment.

A degree can be vocational in which case see above, but mainly they are proof of very little. As has been said, as an interviewer im loking to see what else they did while getting their degree as they are devalued generally. I’d prefer someone who worked diligently in a weekend job while doing a degree - even in starbucks. I remember a great employee - he did a botany degree while working in a brewery at weekends. After 3 years the brewery would have taken him on as an actual brewer - he had followed their apprentice training informally at weekends - but they couldnt match the career i could offer in it. Botany was irrelevant - he was a worker - bright and provably adaptable.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 10:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

HND is better than a NVQ - 'Not Very Quick'...
Old Feb 9th 2018, 4:16 am
Coventry to Caloundra....

joeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond repute

Can I have a go at rationally arguing? What exactly are the three degrees? I'm guessing one might be an actual undergraduate degree - three or four years? And the other two are shorter - possibly post-graduate certificate or diplomas that would only have been 4 - 8 subjects taking maybe a year or two part-time max? In total she may have amassed her three degrees in what, say 4 or 6 years? When people say three degrees we sometimes might think thats at least 9 - 12 years of full-on study. The fact that you have a HND and I have a HNC and we're both still alive is worth celebrating
Old Feb 9th 2018, 9:55 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joeyballantyne
Can I have a go at rationally arguing? What exactly are the three degrees? I'm guessing one might be an actual undergraduate degree - three or four years? And the other two are shorter - possibly post-graduate certificate or diplomas that would only have been 4 - 8 subjects taking maybe a year or two part-time max? In total she may have amassed her three degrees in what, say 4 or 6 years? When people say three degrees we sometimes might think thats at least 9 - 12 years of full-on study. The fact that you have a HND and I have a HNC and we're both still alive is worth celebrating
The rational argument is that degrees do not necessarily need to be viewed in purely vocational terms.