Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Dual Citizenship A Barrier ?

Dual Citizenship A Barrier ?

Old Aug 15th 2017, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Citizenship A Barrier ?

Originally Posted by GarryP
Its also a shame you can't admit your love for the labor party.

Don't worry, you aren't alone. No one ever admits it. I think people feel a shamed by it.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 10:56 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
I think we can safely conclude that as his father left NZ before NZ citizenship even existed the very premise that NZ can claim Joyce as a Kiwi is unfounded. Born here to a 5th generation Aussie and a British subject, the whole thing is getting a bit farcical and Shorten mouthing off is doing him way more harm than good, long may he continue.
When Joyce was born in 1967 his father was a NZ citizen by birth, the same as anyone else who had been born in NZ, barring the usual exemption for children born to foreign diplomats. The status of British subject as a separate nationality category, apart from a handful with a connection to pre-independence Ireland or India, ended on 1 January 1949 when the British Nationality Act 1948 came into force and created the new category of Citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies. Each dominion then created its own citizenship laws. As the child of a NZ-born father Joyce would have received NZ citizenship by descent automatically.

I hear what you are saying but if the case was reversed and he had to prove he was a citizen he'd have to pay a fee as do numerous other Kiwis born here. No fee has ever been paid.
I personally think a dubious claim that a person born in Australia can be adopted by another country without his/her consent is ridiculous. Kiwis consider all Aussies to be their citizens so imo as their [NZ] legislation stands at the moment every prospective member of parliament would need to renounce citizenship of NZ in order to be eligible to stand, you only need look at their wording.
I also further contest that his father was ever a NZ citizen it didn't exist in 1947 when he left. He moved here as a British subject, then, when the citizenship act came into force in 1949 he automatically became an Aussie citizen. You can't be something that didn't exist. Follow the link in the NZ citizenship application and when you get to the bit that says was either of your parents a NZ citizen at the time of your birth his 100% honest answer would be no. Unless he'd applied for it after 1949 [and before 1967] when his Aussie citizenship had been conferred upon him his father went straight from British subject to Aussie citizen.
This is incorrect. As a British subject who hadn't been born in Australia he would have needed to have been ordinarily resident in Australia for five years prior to 26 January 1949. At best he had been resident for two. Unless his father was born in the UK then he wouldn't have become a CUKC either. The only possible citizenship he could have held would have been NZ citizenship. He didn't need to have been living in NZ at the time the law came into force; his birth there was sufficient. Joyce's father would have known this because unless he made a separate application for Australian citizenship he would only been entitled to a NZ passport. Joyce himself hasn't denied that his father is a New Zealander only that he has never 'claimed' New Zealand citizenship for himself. The problem is he doesn't need to - he always has been a NZ citizen.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 11:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
When Joyce was born in 1967 his father was a NZ citizen by birth, the same as anyone else who had been born in NZ, barring the usual exemption for children born to foreign diplomats. The status of British subject as a separate nationality category, apart from a handful with a connection to pre-independence Ireland or India, ended on 1 January 1949 when the British Nationality Act 1948 came into force and created the new category of Citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies. Each dominion then created its own citizenship laws. As the child of a NZ-born father Joyce would have received NZ citizenship by descent automatically.

This is incorrect. As a British subject who hadn't been born in Australia he would have needed to have been ordinarily resident in Australia for five years prior to 26 January 1949. At best he had been resident for two. Unless his father was born in the UK then he wouldn't have become a CUKC either. The only possible citizenship he could have held would have been NZ citizenship. He didn't need to have been living in NZ at the time the law came into force; his birth there was sufficient. Joyce's father would have known this because unless he made a separate application for Australian citizenship he would only been entitled to a NZ passport. Joyce himself hasn't denied that his father is a New Zealander only that he has never 'claimed' New Zealand citizenship for himself. The problem is he doesn't need to - he always has been a NZ citizen.
It only matters when the lawyers pull apart the vague wording of section 44.

There would be an excellent chance Joyce's father had no clue he was a NZ citizen. If he had not travelled there would be no need to prove nor check up on his status. As you say, he may have spent the 2 years in Oz from 1947-1949 and been an Aussie citizen when the British subject thing ended. One would then not bother questioning the other.

I had no clue I was both an Aussie and British citizen by birth and decent until I needed to work in both countries. Why would I check or care? I probably wouldn't check if I was an MP, until this debacle broke out.

There's many countries with obscure citizenship laws. I bet there's some that won't let you renounce at all. Isn't there an Iranian polly who wrote a letter to renounce and never heard back.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 12:44 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Sigh

As has been demonstrated to you, the wording isn't vague. It says plain as day, if you are a citizen of another country, you aren't eligible to stand.
Any person who ... is a subject or a citizen ... shall be incapable of being chosen or of sitting as a senator or a member of the House of Representatives.
It's also worth reading a previous case of dual citizenship

Sue v Hill [1999] HCA 30; 199 CLR 462; 163 ALR 648; 73 ALJR 1016 (23 June 1999)

in particular sec 175-176

In short, providing they follow the constitution and the precedent set by the high court, Joyce is out. There is wiggle room for others that applied to renunciation as to what "reasonable steps" means. My guess is they will take many pages over that little question - but in the case of Joyce is was and remains an NZ citizen, so this case applies.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 1:34 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Sigh

As has been demonstrated to you, the wording isn't vague. It says plain as day, if you are a citizen of another country, you aren't eligible to stand.
Any person who ... is a subject or a citizen ... shall be incapable of being chosen or of sitting as a senator or a member of the House of Representatives.

In short, providing they follow the constitution and the precedent set by the high court, Joyce is out. There is wiggle room for others that applied to renunciation as to what "reasonable steps" means. My guess is they will take many pages over that little question - but in the case of Joyce is was and remains an NZ citizen, so this case applies.
Ahh Heather Hill where was she born? London! 14k miles from Tamworth and no similarities to this case. Let's not forget they put Pauline in prison to get rid of her.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 3:30 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

I hear what you are saying but if the case was reversed and he had to prove he was a citizen he'd have to pay a fee as do numerous other Kiwis born here. No fee has ever been paid.
I personally think a dubious claim that a person born in Australia can be adopted by another country without his/her consent is ridiculous. Kiwis consider all Aussies to be their citizens so imo as their [NZ] legislation stands at the moment every prospective member of parliament would need to renounce citizenship of NZ in order to be eligible to stand, you only need look at their wording.
I also further contest that his father was ever a NZ citizen it didn't exist in 1947 when he left. He moved here as a British subject, then, when the citizenship act came into force in 1949 he automatically became an Aussie citizen. You can't be something that didn't exist. Follow the link in the NZ citizenship application and when you get to the bit that says was either of your parents a NZ citizen at the time of your birth his 100% honest answer would be no. Unless he'd applied for it after 1949 [and before 1967] when his Aussie citizenship had been conferred upon him his father went straight from British subject to Aussie citizen.
If, as an Australian, he had a child born overseas that child would be an Australian Citizen by descent - something readily claimed by many Australians.

Similarly, expats who have children born here know that their children are British by descent.

It's not another country claiming and Australian as their own - it is what it says on the packet - dual citizenship with one of them being a by descent citizenship.

EG - if you moved here before your children were born, they are British and their children, your grandchildren are British by descent. If you wanted to prove that, you do not need a certificate, you can apply directly for their passports with proof that their parents are British.

I don't understand what people are trying to make so difficult about a simple matter. The more confusing cases arise from when citizenship can continue past a first generation which I think is the case with Italy, Ireland, etc.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 4:57 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I had no clue I was both an Aussie and British citizen by birth and decent until I needed to work in both countries. Why would I check or care? I probably wouldn't check if I was an MP, until this debacle broke out.
As an MP it would be your responsibility to check. If you don't, you are negligent.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 8:36 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
As an MP it would be your responsibility to check. If you don't, you are negligent.
...not to mention a bit dim
Old Aug 16th 2017, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
How? I have ancestry through England, France, one of the Scandinavian countries (not sure which), Australia, and Ireland. That's what I do know. There is probably more that I don't. So I would have to renounce through every country in Europe just to be sure.

Get real.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sigh

Zzzzz. You are not listening again.

Refer back to post 90. Then refer to this, written 9 hours ago. http://m.huffingtonpost.com.au/robert-angyal/section-44-of-the-constitution-means-nobody-is-eligible-to-be-el_a_23078667/

This barrister just appeared on the ABC news too. I'm sure you were tuned into your favourite left wing tabloid.

This is far from clear cut, and that's before section 7 of New Zealand law gets thrown into the mix.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 9:55 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Refer back to post 90. Then refer to this, written 9 hours ago. Section 44 Of The Constitution Means NOBODY Is Eligible To Be Elected To Parliament
All of which, as well as being purposely stupid, have nothing to do with the clause that means Joyce isn't an MP.

Zzzzz. You are not listening again.
Seriously, do you think the High Court reading of that catch all clause would be as this lowly barrister thinks?Someone is looking for some publicity...
Old Aug 16th 2017, 10:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

All of which, as well as being purposely stupid, have nothing to do with the clause that means Joyce isn't an MP.

Seriously, do you think the High Court reading of that catch all clause would be as this lowly barrister thinks?Someone is looking for some publicity...
Can you bring it back from name calling? All it does is lower respect.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 10:07 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Can you bring it back from name calling? All it does is lower respect.
Well, first of all there was no name calling.

And secondly, I have no respect for crass stupidity. In fact my tolerance threshold is lowering the more of it I see in the world.

Call a *****wit a *****wit. Maybe they will realise that's what they are. Facts and subtly obviously don't work.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well, first of all there was no name calling.

And secondly, I have no respect for crass stupidity. In fact my tolerance threshold is lowering the more of it I see in the world.

Call a *****wit a *****wit. Maybe they will realise that's what they are. Facts and subtly obviously don't work.
That's not debating. That's name calling.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 10:22 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

There would be an excellent chance Joyce's father had no clue he was a NZ citizen. If he had not travelled there would be no need to prove nor check up on his status. As you say, he may have spent the 2 years in Oz from 1947-1949 and been an Aussie citizen when the British subject thing ended. One would then not bother questioning the other.
No, I said the opposite of that. Joyce's father would not have received Australian citizenship in 1949 as he had not resided in Australia long enough to be eligible. He would have only been eligible for NZ citizenship. In order to became an Australian citizen he would have needed to apply for naturalisation.

Except it's a widely publicised legal requirement in order to became an MP or senator. As you say, you didn't bother to find out for sure until you needed to. If you wanted to run for Parliament it's a reasonable assumption you would have done the same.

There's many countries with obscure citizenship laws. I bet there's some that won't let you renounce at all. Isn't there an Iranian polly who wrote a letter to renounce and never heard back.
It's hardly an obscure situation given his father was born in NZ. Joyce has just been lazy and, unlike Iran, NZ does let its citizens renounce.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.