British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Dual Citizenship A Barrier ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/dual-citizenship-barrier-899749/)

old.sparkles Jul 29th 2017 10:34 am

Re: Dual Citizenship A Barrier ?

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12305334)
I may have misheard but there is some MP who was on some some government business and in Canada on his way to the US with his visa and was turned away apparently without explanation. He's claiming it was racial because he was born in Iranian. He then said he had dual nationality. So how is he an MP? May have misunderstood but I was serving up dinner so not concentrating.

Sam Dastyari (sp.) was born in Iran so it might have been him.

If you've tried to renounce a dual citizenship but are unable to, then I think from what I've heard that that is good enough as not all countries allow you to renounce citizenship.

GarryP Jul 29th 2017 10:45 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12305334)
I may have misheard but there is some MP who was on some some government business and in Canada on his way to the US with his visa and was turned away apparently without explanation. He's claiming it was racial because he was born in Iranian. He then said he had dual nationality. So how is he an MP? May have misunderstood but I was serving up dinner so not concentrating.

You are probably talking about this case of trumpism :

Labor says 'Trumpism' behind US refusal to allow entry to Victorian MP Khalil Eideh - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

IIRC state MPs don't have the same requirements, and if the country doesn't allow you to drop citizenship, the attempt is enough.

Amazulu Jul 29th 2017 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by GarryP (Post 12305342)

Labor says 'Trumpism' behind US refusal to allow entry to Victorian MP Khalil Eideh - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

IIRC state MPs don't have the same requirements, and if the country doesn't allow you to drop citizenship, the attempt is enough.

Makes sense

moneypenny20 Jul 30th 2017 1:21 am

Originally Posted by GarryP (Post 12305342)

That was him. That ruling makes sense other than the State MPs having a different set of requirements to Federal, that's just dumb. It's either a valid rule or it isn't. But then that's State vs Federal in all manner of decisions so nothing unusual. :rolleyes:

GarryP Jul 31st 2017 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by GarryP (Post 12304535)
Looks like the One Nation loon, Malcolm Roberts, is claiming the same type of timeline as suggested for abbott

And another one :

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2...nship-election

Seems they keep trying to say that putting an application in is renouncing in good faith, ignoring that you could always withdraw the application if you lost the election.

And given that unlike the greens, they keep trying to hold on, where are the courts to rule on it?

Alfresco Aug 1st 2017 7:17 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 12305338)
Sam Dastyari (sp.) was born in Iran so it might have been him.

If you've tried to renounce a dual citizenship but are unable to, then I think from what I've heard that that is good enough as not all countries allow you to renounce citizenship.

Crazy world indeed.

GarryP Aug 14th 2017 1:40 am

Tee hee, the windbag bites the dust. :eek:

Politics Live: Deputy PM Barnaby Joyce says he might be a New Zealander, refers himself to High Court - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Of course, being a right wing politician, he won't do the right thing and immediately resign as being ineligible. Instead trying to avoid the fact that he screwed up. He even claimed that he checked, an obvious falsehood.

Maybe Johnny Depp should threaten him that if he's not gone by the end of the week, he'll get put down ....

Beoz Aug 14th 2017 1:57 am

Originally Posted by GarryP (Post 12316066)
Tee hee, the windbag bites the dust. :eek:

Politics Live: Deputy PM Barnaby Joyce says he might be a New Zealander, refers himself to High Court - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Of course, being a right wing politician, he won't do the right thing and immediately resign as being ineligible. Instead trying to avoid the fact that he screwed up. He even claimed that he checked, an obvious falsehood.

Maybe Johnny Depp should threaten him that if he's not gone by the end of the week, he'll get put down ....

Wow. You certainly like a bit of drama - its a left wingers trait. Does the right side of politics keep you awake at night?

carcajou Aug 14th 2017 11:14 am

Apparently someone in the NZ Labour Party dobbed him in and set in motion the chain of events.

GarryP Aug 14th 2017 11:21 am

Originally Posted by carcajou (Post 12316245)
Apparently someone in the NZ Labour Party dobbed him in and set in motion the chain of events.

A reporter for Fairfax was alerted last week, did a little digging, then went asking for a statement. They decided to give them a little time on Friday, and today we have the admission.

Probably didn't come from NZ Labour. Probably came from much closer to home, probably in the National party. The coalition knows they are screwed, they are just looking for time to try and find out how much Katter wants.

carcajou Aug 14th 2017 11:26 am

According to SBS, NZ Labour MP Chris Hipkins made the inquiries to Peter Dunne, though as you noted people were sniffing around beforehand.

Whatever, I believe Parliament should be Australian-only, no conflicts-of-interest. Don't care if you are Green or National.

Doesn't New Zealand have an election in 6 weeks? You would think an NZ Labour MP would have better things to be worrying about right now.

spouse of scouse Aug 14th 2017 11:27 am

Tee hee.

Beoz Aug 14th 2017 11:44 am

They are having a good laugh over the ditch

44. Any person who -

(i.) Is under any acknowledgement of allegiance, obedience, or adherence to a foreign power, or is a subject or a citizen or entitled to the rights or privileges of a subject or citizen of a foreign power: or

Every Australian is entitled to the rights and privileges of Kiwi's. Schooling, Health Care, Superannuation, even the right to vote.

New Zealand is buying a population and in one way or another, every member of parliament falls foul of New Zealands privileges.

Should be a no brainer for the high court based on the current wording of Section 44.

Amazulu Aug 14th 2017 12:40 pm

It's a mess that's for sure

As I said earlier in this thread, this law is ridiculous - especially in relation to countries like NZ. There's even some outdated reference in the constitution to NZ having the right to join Australia FFS

Even those awful, hateful Greens MPs didn't deserve what happened to them (despite the fact that Ludlum is basically a fraud)

Worse case scenario for the government is for Joyce to resign, Katter to keep them in power and Joyce to fight and try and win the by-election. Windsor won't get the gig

BritInParis Aug 14th 2017 5:05 pm

Anyone reading his Wikipedia entry can see that his father was born in New Zealand. It doesn't take very much to then ask the question about whether he's a NZ citizen by descent. I have slightly more sympathy for those caught out by being citizens by descent rather than by birth but not much.