Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Australia / The Barbie

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Jul 19th 2017, 12:57 am   #16
GarryP 
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,790
GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Citizenship A Barrier ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerv-o View Post
I don't think that Malcolm has long left now though - I am hoping that Julie Bishop can muster the numbers to replace him.
Actually I feel that trunbull is fairly safe. If they roll him then all he needs to do is have him and some of his cronies resign and whoever they try to put in place don't have a majority. Even better, he can form the "real liberals" and vote against the far right wingers controlling the 'libs' and cause an election.

For all he needs them, they need him.

Thus I think it will go on in this shuffling of the deckchairs, doing nothing positive vein for a few years yet.
GarryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th 2017, 1:25 am   #17
Beoz 
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 10,570
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Citizenship A Barrier ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryP View Post
Yeah, and the key thing is he didn't release it when there were all the questions and freedom of information requests going around. In fact he only got that letter after the Prince Philip knighthood thing was happening and he was already on his way out with knives in his back.

So why is he releasing it now, and not back when their were some big questions floating around? Why unforced now, when there were many calls then.

And if the greens had behaved as Abbott did and ignored the questions, they'd still be sitting in parliament.

Frankly if citizenship is questioned then any MP should need to substantiate their eligibility within weeks - not have it rely on them being trustworthy and telling the truth - since not all are as honest as the greens have been.
The home office takes years to produce these documents.

Tony is learning about the media. Why pop your head above the parapet when there is no need? Now he's taking any opportunity to get media attention. He saved it up for when its needed.

Just like your mate Bill Shorten does.
Beoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th 2017, 1:28 am   #18
Beoz 
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 10,570
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Citizenship A Barrier ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerv-o View Post
Agreed - Him sniping from the sidelines is not helping the Liberals election chances.

I don't think that Malcolm has long left now though - I am hoping that Julie Bishop can muster the numbers to replace him.

S
I would like to see Mal stay. For the sake of the country, some stability is needed. Let them crack on with the job for a while, without the snipper in the background.

At the moment, the only bad press is TA, everything else looks rosey. That's gotta be a good thing for all, not just a few.
Beoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th 2017, 2:31 am   #19
GarryP 
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,790
GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Citizenship A Barrier ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
The home office takes years to produce these documents.
Actually, no. Confirming something they already have evidence of, particularly when politically key, is something they can do within weeks.

However, there is another wrinkle. To renounce citizenship you need to apply, pay money, and then the government departments that are involved have to go through a process to check that it's in good faith, that there's no pressure, etc. - before they accept that and formerly consider that citizenship renounced. Then you get a ‘declaration of renunciation’ which is the formal paperwork.

However, abbott is pointing to a later letter confirming status, not this ‘declaration of renunciation’. So the suggestion that is being made is that he applied on the date stated in the letter, but that the formal ‘declaration of renunciation’ has a date after he stood in the byelection - and that's why you aren't seeing the actual certificate from him.

Nobody is sure, and Abbott has done his damage already so the point is moot - but to say this was somehow some 43 dimensional chess from Abbott is stretching things to Trumpian proportions - he's demonstrably not that smart.
GarryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th 2017, 2:58 am   #20
Beoz 
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 10,570
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Citizenship A Barrier ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryP View Post
Actually, no. Confirming something they already have evidence of, particularly when politically key, is something they can do within weeks.

However, there is another wrinkle. To renounce citizenship you need to apply, pay money, and then the government departments that are involved have to go through a process to check that it's in good faith, that there's no pressure, etc. - before they accept that and formerly consider that citizenship renounced. Then you get a ‘declaration of renunciation’ which is the formal paperwork.

However, abbott is pointing to a later letter confirming status, not this ‘declaration of renunciation’. So the suggestion that is being made is that he applied on the date stated in the letter, but that the formal ‘declaration of renunciation’ has a date after he stood in the byelection - and that's why you aren't seeing the actual certificate from him.

Nobody is sure, and Abbott has done his damage already so the point is moot - but to say this was somehow some 43 dimensional chess from Abbott is stretching things to Trumpian proportions - he's demonstrably not that smart.
I think the letter is pretty clear. 12 October 1993 was when his British Citizenship was renounced.

Abbotts go at seat winning was in 1994 when he won Liberal preselection for the federal Division of Warringah.

I am sure you will find some dirt somewhere if you keep looking.
Beoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th 2017, 3:14 am   #21
GarryP 
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,790
GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Citizenship A Barrier ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
I think the letter is pretty clear. 12 October 1993 was when his British Citizenship was renounced.

Abbotts go at seat winning was in 1994 when he won Liberal preselection for the federal Division of Warringah.

I am sure you will find some dirt somewhere if you keep looking.
Problem with that is he still needed his British Citizenship earlier in 1993. So for the reading of it to be your way around he would need to have started to revoke his UK Citizenship when he still needed it, and when there was no byelection in the offing. Which for someone who didn't bother with Australia Citizenship until he needed it to get the Rhodes scholarship, is more than a bit sus.

This was always the point - the timeline was tight for him to have renounced in time of a snap byelection end Jan 1994 - even with some advance knowledge.

And the time to have checked was back in 1994, before he could go on to do the damage he has.
GarryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th 2017, 8:35 am   #22
Beoz 
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 10,570
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Citizenship A Barrier ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryP View Post
Problem with that is he still needed his British Citizenship earlier in 1993. So for the reading of it to be your way around he would need to have started to revoke his UK Citizenship when he still needed it, and when there was no byelection in the offing. Which for someone who didn't bother with Australia Citizenship until he needed it to get the Rhodes scholarship, is more than a bit sus.

This was always the point - the timeline was tight for him to have renounced in time of a snap byelection end Jan 1994 - even with some advance knowledge.

And the time to have checked was back in 1994, before he could go on to do the damage he has.
What a load of crap. Why do you keep on with this stuff? Its all above board. Evidence is evidence. And there's more than enough evidence his PM ship was fine and dandy.

I bet the reason you have it in for him is because he has big ears or is religious which would be no surprise considering how bigoted left wingers are.
Beoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th 2017, 8:46 am   #23
GarryP 
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,790
GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Citizenship A Barrier ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
What a load of crap. Why do you keep on with this stuff?
Maybe because not everyone is as ignorant and naive as you are? After all, you are a trumpet - you have demonstrated you can't deal with evidence.
GarryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th 2017, 9:29 am   #24
Beoz 
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 10,570
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Citizenship A Barrier ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryP View Post
Maybe because not everyone is as ignorant and naive as you are? After all, you are a trumpet - you have demonstrated you can't deal with evidence.
You haven't delivered any evidence. Just name called which is what left wingers do when they are on the ropes.

Post 21 you say "sus". Suspect?
"Suspect - To have an idea or impression of the existence, presence, or truth of (something) without certain proof."

Care to continue?
Beoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th 2017, 9:46 am   #25
Card Carrying Deplorable
 
Amazulu's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Alloha snack bar
Posts: 22,864
Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Citizenship A Barrier ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryP View Post
Problem with that is he still needed his British Citizenship earlier in 1993. So for the reading of it to be your way around he would need to have started to revoke his UK Citizenship when he still needed it, and when there was no byelection in the offing. Which for someone who didn't bother with Australia Citizenship until he needed it to get the Rhodes scholarship, is more than a bit sus.

This was always the point - the timeline was tight for him to have renounced in time of a snap byelection end Jan 1994 - even with some advance knowledge.

And the time to have checked was back in 1994, before he could go on to do the damage he has.
Your standpoint is ridiculous and nonsensical - TA renounced his UK citizenship in 1993 and was elected to parliament in 1994. No rules broken

So what if he only got his Australian citizenship so that he could become a Rhodes Scholar? We've all do what we've got to do and as long as we do it within the law, who gives a shit. His issue not your's or mine

Australia would have been a better place if he's managed to stay in power (after the hateful, destructive and wasteful socialist Rudd, Gillard, Rudd governments) but unfortunately, too many Australian voters want to believe in fairy tales rather than face reality
__________________
Australia/UK - Same sh*t, different bucket
The Wallaby, still the bitch of the Springbok.
Amazulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th 2017, 8:49 am   #26
Grumpy Poppy
Moderator
 
cresta57's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Redneck Wonderland
Posts: 9,792
cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Citizenship A Barrier ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerv-o View Post
Agreed - Him sniping from the sidelines is not helping the Liberals election chances.

I don't think that Malcolm has long left now though - I am hoping that Julie Bishop can muster the numbers to replace him.


S
Me to phwoarr I like Julie Bishop
__________________
Sean Ò¿Ó.
cresta57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th 2017, 11:00 am   #27
Card Carrying Deplorable
 
Amazulu's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Alloha snack bar
Posts: 22,864
Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Citizenship A Barrier ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerv-o View Post
Agreed - Him sniping from the sidelines is not helping the Liberals election chances.

I don't think that Malcolm has long left now though - I am hoping that Julie Bishop can muster the numbers to replace him.


S
Me too - she should have got the gig last time round

She's intelligent, articulate, approachable (I've met her) - popular too
__________________
Australia/UK - Same sh*t, different bucket
The Wallaby, still the bitch of the Springbok.
Amazulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th 2017, 10:32 pm   #28
Beoz 
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 10,570
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Citizenship A Barrier ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazulu View Post
Me too - she should have got the gig last time round

She's intelligent, articulate, approachable (I've met her) - popular too
I would have preferred her. Happy to run with Mal for a while. Other than TA and BS (isn't that appropriate) snipping in the background, he is doing a good job.

BS is now telling us that on the back of Jeremy Corbyn's rise from 0 out of 10 to 3 out of 10 that he is going to go after rising inequality. (Which its not). Ok BS here's is what you should do. Help everyone by getting those who don't help themselves to help others. Benefit a lot, rather than a few. The scary part is, this sneaky liar will get some support from the me me me's
Beoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th 2017, 11:13 pm   #29
GarryP 
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,790
GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Citizenship A Barrier ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cresta57 View Post
Me to phwoarr I like Julie Bishop
You are a sick, sick man ....

That sub-Thatcher clone, with the affected glare at anyone that might disagree with her? The complete lack of a clue or strategic vision. If you want services like that there are places around that will oblige you (for a fee). Thatcher herself should be enough evidence that you don't want someone like that anywhere near power; and she had a brain.

Shudder.
GarryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 8:04 am   #30
Grumpy Poppy
Moderator
 
cresta57's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Redneck Wonderland
Posts: 9,792
cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Citizenship A Barrier ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryP View Post
You are a sick, sick man ....

That sub-Thatcher clone, with the affected glare at anyone that might disagree with her? The complete lack of a clue or strategic vision. If you want services like that there are places around that will oblige you (for a fee). Thatcher herself should be enough evidence that you don't want someone like that anywhere near power; and she had a brain.

Shudder.
Mrs T was a wonderful lady, got me a heads up in life, let me buy my own home and provided me with lots of self employed work. Then Tony the Tosser decided that we all had to be employed by companies and the whole sub contract construction industry went to hell in a handbasket.
__________________
Sean Ò¿Ó.
cresta57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Australia / The Barbie


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 7:09 pm.


Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com