Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Dual Citizenship A Barrier ?

Dual Citizenship A Barrier ?

Old Sep 1st 2017, 2:41 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Citizenship A Barrier ?

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Are you deliberately trying to be perceived as a troll?
He's certainly going the right way about it........
Old Sep 1st 2017, 4:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Are you deliberately trying to be perceived as a troll?
Name calling. How about arguing the topic?
Old Sep 1st 2017, 4:15 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Name calling. How about arguing the topic?
No, not name calling and just asking the question since you seem to being deliberately obtuse.

Anyone who works legitimately in the USA can get a SSN - it is not a right or privilege restricted to US citizens as already pointed out. It is not a right or privilege full stop.
Old Sep 1st 2017, 4:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

No, not name calling and just asking the question since you seem to being deliberately obtuse.

Anyone who works legitimately in the USA can get a SSN - it is not a right or privilege restricted to US citizens as already pointed out. It is not a right or privilege full stop.
This is what Derryn Hinch is arguing. Its also what a number of lawyers have been arguing. The wording of the section is obtuse, and therefore will be interpreted in many ways until the high court makes it decision, which will set precedence for the future.

In this case, if you have legitimately work in the US, you are given rights and privileges of a US citizen.

If your father was born in the UK, you are given the rights and privileged of a UK citizen.

As Australian citizens, we are all given some rights and privileges of NZ citizens.

Is it being obtuse, absolutely, but don't attack me personally.

I wasn't the idiot who wrote section 44.
Old Sep 1st 2017, 4:55 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

This is what Derryn Hinch is arguing. Its also what a number of lawyers have been arguing. The wording of the section is obtuse, and therefore will be interpreted in many ways until the high court makes it decision, which will set precedence for the future.

In this case, if you have legitimately work in the US, you are given rights and privileges of a US citizen.

If your father was born in the UK, you are given the rights and privileged of a UK citizen.

As Australian citizens, we are all given some rights and privileges of NZ citizens.

Is it being obtuse, absolutely, but don't attack me personally.

I wasn't the idiot who wrote section 44.
If you work in the US as a non-citizen, you are required to hold a valid visa. As part of this, you will also be required to obtain a SSN. This is not the same as the right or privileges of being an American Citizen, who can work freely as well as many other rights and privilege's afforded them.

I hold a PR visa, have a TFN but do not have all the rights and privilege's that being an Australian citizen would have, since I am restricted in some of the work I can do, I cannot vote, and probably many more.

Section 44 does not say 'entitled to some of the rights and privileges'

EDIT - and sorry if I was name calling I would have called you a troll, not asked you if you were trying to be perceived that way.

Last edited by old.sparkles; Sep 1st 2017 at 4:58 am.
Old Sep 1st 2017, 6:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If you work in the US as a non-citizen, you are required to hold a valid visa. As part of this, you will also be required to obtain a SSN. This is not the same as the right or privileges of being an American Citizen, who can work freely as well as many other rights and privilege's afforded them.
I agree, its not the same as being as citizen, and pretty much along the same lines as having a father who was born in Britain or somewhere where they can claim you as their own.

But the wording is what it is.

Section 44 does not say 'entitled to some of the rights and privileges'
Section 44 does not say 'entitled to all of the rights and privileges'

EDIT - and sorry if I was name calling I would have called you a troll, not asked you if you were trying to be perceived that way.
I will accept devils advocate.
Old Sep 1st 2017, 9:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

If anyone wants somebody called insulting names, please feel free to PM me your requirements
Old Sep 1st 2017, 9:13 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I'd be questioning where that liver came from, I'm sure the donor was a pommy bloke
Old Sep 1st 2017, 9:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
If anyone wants somebody called insulting names, please feel free to PM me your requirements
Me, me!
Old Sep 1st 2017, 10:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Me, me!
Haha, the ATM in the pub last night copped one, $2.80, it was a thoroughly deserved C bomb haha
Old Sep 1st 2017, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
Haha, the ATM in the pub last night copped one, $2.80, it was a thoroughly deserved C bomb haha
Old Oct 6th 2017, 12:57 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

So Xenophon jumps before he's pushed. That does not sound like the rest have a cat in hell's chance of surviving. High court case is next week, sounds like its a foregone conclusion.

Nick Xenophon to return to South Australian politics in 'do or die' effort - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Old Oct 6th 2017, 2:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GarryP
So Xenophon jumps before he's pushed. That does not sound like the rest have a cat in hell's chance of surviving. High court case is next week, sounds like its a foregone conclusion.

Nick Xenophon to return to South Australian politics in 'do or die' effort - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Did you actually read your own left wing article?

Its pretty clear "Regardless of the high court decision, I can't fix home when I am not in it so I shall go home to do it"
Old Oct 6th 2017, 2:30 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Did you actually read your own left wing article?

Its pretty clear "Regardless of the high court decision, I can't fix home when I am not in it so I shall go home to do it"
Even you aren't THAT naive ...
Old Oct 6th 2017, 2:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GarryP
Even you aren't THAT naive ...
It makes perfect sense. SA is a basket case. The guy has been campaigning for SA for years and failing miserably. Its the only thing he cares about - he lives in a narrow bubble. Its not working at a federal level.

Just because you are the salesman of doom and gloom, doesn't mean anyone, sorry I mean everyone, buys your crap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.