Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Does anyone despair at whats happening to Britain these days?

Does anyone despair at whats happening to Britain these days?

Old Jan 27th 2006, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

stevieuk123 is a jewel in the roughstevieuk123 is a jewel in the roughstevieuk123 is a jewel in the roughstevieuk123 is a jewel in the roughstevieuk123 is a jewel in the rough
Default Does anyone despair at whats happening to Britain these days?

Hi folks

I,m living on the Sushine coast with my family and have been here for 4 months. Just opened a bakery in Kuluin. We moved here to escape the massive bills such as council tax £1800 a year, huge fuel bills, gas, electric, petrol. Also the crime and uncontrolled immigration. When we left we had asylum seekers having running street battles in Nottingham, killing each other with Samuri swords. What did Enoch say? Rivers of blood!
Its not easy here and I do miss going to Sainsbury's, the pub and of course friends and family but i,m not sure I could face all that again!
Old Jan 27th 2006, 3:07 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone despair at whats happening to Britain these days?

Originally Posted by stevieuk123
Hi folks

I,m living on the Sushine coast with my family and have been here for 4 months. Just opened a bakery in Kuluin. We moved here to escape the massive bills such as council tax £1800 a year, huge fuel bills, gas, electric, petrol. Also the crime and uncontrolled immigration. When we left we had asylum seekers having running street battles in Nottingham, killing each other with Samuri swords. What did Enoch say? Rivers of blood!
Its not easy here and I do miss going to Sainsbury's, the pub and of course friends and family but i,m not sure I could face all that again!
No offence but I think you were plain unlucky. Nottingham seems to have been getting the rough end of the stick the last few years but the rest of the country is not the same. There are obviously areas but there are here. Petrol is expensive in the UK but if you are not earning shed loads, it is here as well.

Hope the business goes well for you. Saw the picture on the other thread, looks like a nice place.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 3:09 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, I don't despair.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

S J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by diddy
Nope, I don't despair.
Hey
Look we returned to Peterborough for a holiday last August and were very surprised how things had changed since we left just over 2 years ago. Friends we know are all unhappy and feel a lot less safe especially in the city centre. Seems lots of European migrants and the fact that Peterborough has a large Asian mostly Pakistani population has led to a lot of gang trouble. When we stood in the city centre there were more foreign languages being spoken than English. Don`t get me wrong - I am not in any way a racist person and treat everyone equally - it was just the seeming increase in crime (signs up everywhere warning of "high crime areas") and the feeling of not being as safe. The shopping centre has had to ban large groups/gangs from entering together and hooded tops were also banned.
Whereas here (Sunshine Coast) seems a lot safer (just my personal feeling - no stats involved) - the only gangs seem to be young kids enjoying the local skate parks!!
BTW I know where your bakery is - I passed it the other day and commented on how quickly the shops had appeared. ( We were on our way to Maccas for an ice cream but will definately call in and sample the fare next time we pass).
Good luck with the business I`m sure you will be very successful - it is a good spot.
SJ
Old Jan 27th 2006, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

dshole will become famous soon enoughdshole will become famous soon enough

Funny, I despair at the state of Australia more that then the UK.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

S J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dshole
Funny, I despair at the state of Australia more that then the UK.
In what way??
Old Jan 27th 2006, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by S J Jackson
In what way??
Lying government/stupid population, redneck backward right wing attitudes, pollution, a total disrepect for the planet.

I could go on all day, but I have to work.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

Wink Re: Does anyone despair at whats happening to Britain these days?

Lying government/stupid population, redneck backward right wing attitudes, pollution, a total disrepect for the planet.

Are you planning to go back to the UK then or are you going to stick it out in OZ??
Perhaps you could go into politics and sort it all out?!
Old Jan 27th 2006, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by S J Jackson
Are you planning to go back to the UK then or are you going to stick it out in OZ??
Perhaps you could go into politics and sort it all out?!
We will probably go back to Europe one day, but another EU country, not the UK.

Don't get me wrong, I love Australia. But I also don't think that the UK is as bad as a lot of people make out. Good and bad points everywhere.

The thing I see about the UK at the moment is the glorification of Chav culture. I really hope we do not see anything like that here in Melbourne.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 4:02 am
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

Goodness. I wonder what Australians think of you?

last time i was at Sydney harbour there were whales and dolphins swimming around (that went in there deliberately!).. very clean indeed.

Also like the great recycling systems they have here for household garbage. Depends on the council area though.

Goodness a lying government?! That's a first for the planet!!

Did someone call you a "pom" and you got all upset?
Old Jan 27th 2006, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by copa

last time i was at Sydney harbour there were whales and dolphins swimming around (that went in there deliberately!).. very clean indeed.

Also like the great recycling systems they have here for household garbage. Depends on the council area though.

All the Australians we hand around with share the same opinions as me, but then that is horses for courses I guess.

I love the recycling systems over here too. It works far better than it did for me in Poole, Dorset.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 4:27 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by copa

Why is it OK to diss the UK but not Australia?

Jane
Old Jan 27th 2006, 4:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JaneandJim
Why is it OK to diss the UK but not Australia?

Jane
Because a lot of expats like nothing more then to slag of the old country.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 4:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really suprised that your in Melbourne, and say that the general populace has red kneck right wing attitudes.

Did you know, probably not that there was a full scale race riot here last week, at Oak Park swimming pool, Pascoe Vale, involving lebanese and the local life savers, where they ejected a teenager, and 40 lebanese youths attacked the 4 lifeguards there. It took 5 police cars, and a whole heap of physical activity to sort it out

The Melbourne reaction, play it down, and treat it as one of those things. The locals reaction, boys will be boys, especially those lebanese.

Where do you get this Red neck vibe thing from ? It couldn't be the local press, and I dont mix/or know anyone that is over the top with red neck attitudes.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I'm really suprised that your in Melbourne, and say that the general populace has red kneck right wing attitudes.

Did you know, probably not that there was a full scale race riot here last week, at Oak Park swimming pool, Pascoe Vale, involving lebanese and the local life savers, where they ejected a teenager, and 40 lebanese youths attacked the 4 lifeguards there. It took 5 police cars, and a whole heap of physical activity to sort it out

The Melbourne reaction, play it down, and treat it as one of those things. The locals reaction, boys will be boys, especially those lebanese.

Where do you get this Red neck vibe thing from ? It couldn't be the local press, and I dont mix/or know anyone that is over the top with red neck attitudes.
My redneck view is not just from Melbourne, it comes from all of Australia. Just the general feel of the Australian attitude. But that said, it's not that much better in parts of the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.