Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Do you like Cheese .. Whats your favourite ?

Do you like Cheese .. Whats your favourite ?

Old Aug 28th 2016, 6:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you like Cheese .. Whats your favourite ?

I much prefer the good old classics !
Attached Thumbnails Do you like Cheese ..  Whats your favourite ?-dairylea.jpg  
Old Aug 28th 2016, 7:34 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you like Cheese .. Whats your favourite ?

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
A lot of variation with the cheese tastes..... Hopefully someone will give that Mainland a go and report back, especially those that have a preference for Cheddar. I've not tried that White Castello before.... It's about the only one from the above I haven't so I'll get onto that.

Those Jarlesburg's and Stilton and Gruyer's etc... does anyone have a preferred producer ?

I also buy a fair bit of the Aldi Cheeses but haven't really latched on to a "very good" UK one yet.
Used to live in the Stilton triangle. There are 3 main producers of stilton, and they all produce slightly different stiltons, as well as their own 'special' stiltons. The below are my own thoughts on the flavours, and I am by no means an expert, but I know what I likes

Cropwell Bishop creamery tends to be a sharp but mellow flavour, but their older stiltons do take on a stronger, sharper flavour.

Colston Bassett is a lovely stilton. Creamy but with a sharpness, slightly crumbly texture, great for cooking with, for example melted over garlic mushrooms on top of a lovely bit of steak.

Long Clawson is the other main producer. I haven't eaten much Long Clawson stilton, and from memory it is quite a strong, sharp flavour.

We are lucky here, there are a few local shops that import from the UK. I bought a lovely 3yr old cheddar the other day, perfect to put in a macaroni cheese I do find the Aussie soft cheeses, such as the brie and camemberts to be quite mild in flavour, but some of the smaller dairies around our way do have some stinkier varieties. A local creamery in the Adelaide Hills, called Udder Delights, do a gorgeous chevre and a not bad blue cheese but there brie and camembert can be hit and miss.

Now, off to finish cooking the curry then get out the cheese and wine pack I won at the quiz night last night - along with an award winning bottle of McLaren Vale shiraz