Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Do you like Cheese .. Whats your favourite ?

Do you like Cheese .. Whats your favourite ?

Old Aug 26th 2016, 1:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do you like Cheese .. Whats your favourite ?

Cheese is one of my favourite eating pleasures. I prefer hard cheeses usually, but am open to suggestions on the softer cheeses on offer.

Thing is I've recently come to the conclusion that a lot of the farmhouse stuff and small producer stuff is a load of bollocks, which is somewhat disappointing.

I can remember scoffing at a mate who insisted that his limited reserve cracker barrel was one of the best cheeses available.... Well I've come full circle unfortunately... after being disappointed yet again at a farmers market and coming home with a heap of farmhouse cheeses and putting them to a blind test. Guess what came up tops.....

It's looking like the best available Cheddar is 36 month old Mainland from New Zealand..... Then the 24 month old Cheddars again from Mainland and Cracker Barrel coming next. This blind test result is an eye opener and very disappointing to me.

I do have interest in Sheep and Goats cheeses as well, but in very small portions but they IMO are far away from everyday cheeses.

I've tried heaps of UK cheeses but yet to find a Cheddar that matches that 36 month old Mainland... so I guess I'm looking for some opinions.

Got to say, I dont mind a bit of Stilton either, however I prefer roquefort as it doesn't seem as harsh.

So do you have a favourite cheese and a recommendation for anyone that is interest.

Oh and if you haven't tried 36 month old Mainland from NZealand, which is available in just about every Aus supermarket....Give it a go is my first recommendation....It comes complete with crystals usually only found in the Italian Parmesans and their ilk.. !! and that's above everything I've tried in the last 5 years ! Hopefully that doesn't make me the philistine I thought my mate was when he was on the cracker barrel band wagon..... At 30 bucks a kilo it totally leaves for dead IMO anything I've tried at double the price and more.

I'm definitely going to head straight for the Raw Cheese available on Bruny Island when I go back to Tasmania in a week or so....hopefully that will save the day for the small producers.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 26th 2016 at 1:18 am.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 6:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you like Cheese .. Whats your favourite ?

I struggled to find a decent cheese, like the cheese of my childhood, until one day I bought a Black and Gold pack of grated cheddar(for cooking) and it was amazingly perfect - just the right bite so I zipped back to Supabarn and bought up several packs only to find that they were all the usual plastic nothing. I know they grate leftovers and I just happened to get a bit of leftover perfection so there probably is the "right" cheese out there somewhere, I just haven't found it yet. I used to go for Cracker Barrel by default but won't buy it now for other reasons, similarly Mainland, unfortunately.

Last edited by quoll; Aug 26th 2016 at 6:14 am.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 6:18 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Cheese is one of my favourite eating pleasures. I prefer hard cheeses usually, but am open to suggestions on the softer cheeses on offer.

Thing is I've recently come to the conclusion that a lot of the farmhouse stuff and small producer stuff is a load of bollocks, which is somewhat disappointing.

I can remember scoffing at a mate who insisted that his limited reserve cracker barrel was one of the best cheeses available.... Well I've come full circle unfortunately... after being disappointed yet again at a farmers market and coming home with a heap of farmhouse cheeses and putting them to a blind test. Guess what came up tops.....

It's looking like the best available Cheddar is 36 month old Mainland from New Zealand..... Then the 24 month old Cheddars again from Mainland and Cracker Barrel coming next. This blind test result is an eye opener and very disappointing to me.

I do have interest in Sheep and Goats cheeses as well, but in very small portions but they IMO are far away from everyday cheeses.

I've tried heaps of UK cheeses but yet to find a Cheddar that matches that 36 month old Mainland... so I guess I'm looking for some opinions.

Got to say, I dont mind a bit of Stilton either, however I prefer roquefort as it doesn't seem as harsh.

So do you have a favourite cheese and a recommendation for anyone that is interest.

Oh and if you haven't tried 36 month old Mainland from NZealand, which is available in just about every Aus supermarket....Give it a go is my first recommendation....It comes complete with crystals usually only found in the Italian Parmesans and their ilk.. !! and that's above everything I've tried in the last 5 years ! Hopefully that doesn't make me the philistine I thought my mate was when he was on the cracker barrel band wagon..... At 30 bucks a kilo it totally leaves for dead IMO anything I've tried at double the price and more.

I'm definitely going to head straight for the Raw Cheese available on Bruny Island when I go back to Tasmania in a week or so....hopefully that will save the day for the small producers.
I'm with you on cheese

I like a wide variety:
Strong, sharp cheddar (hard to find in Australia)
Blue cheese (Stilton is nice sometimes but usually prefer something not as bitey) after dinner
Guyere (especially in a croque monsieur)
Brie and Camembert with a nice bottle of red
Parmesan souffle
Old Aug 26th 2016, 7:41 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The Bruny Cheese place is fantastic, I spent a fortune there. In fact Tassie is brilliant for cheese, take cool bags over with you, stuff them full and bring loads back! King Island cheeses are other favourites of mine
Salamanca Market usually has a stall for the Bruny guys, as does the market on Sundays in Bathurst Street. And the indoor fruit market in Salamanca has loads of local cheese, besides Bruny.p

While on Bruny, if you are oyster lovers, stop off at Get Shucked Oysters -they are just to die for

Last edited by Pollyana; Aug 26th 2016 at 9:26 am.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

White Castello is my fave...mmmmmm.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Most unlikely of places but ALDI emporium range.

The club cheddar, good flavour, its crumbly too, beautiful cheese. Love the ash goats cheese, and french goats cheese they sell, and the baby milk boccochini, wrap them in a fresh basil leaf with cherry tomato, OMG so good.

We go into ALDI just for the cheese, well and the odd lawnmower, ski suit
Old Aug 26th 2016, 9:11 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

I like cheese! Not too picky but like something with a bite.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 9:56 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Nimbin for our regular and wasabi for a treat or anything with a bit of kick to it.

Soft cheese is a big no for me, it's a texture thing.

And now I need some cheese and onion on toast ...
Old Aug 26th 2016, 9:57 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Do you like Cheese .. Whats your favourite ?

Oh and if you haven't tried 36 month old Mainland from NZealand, which is available in just about every Aus supermarket....Give it a go is my first recommendation.
Having lived on a dairy farm in NZ, with a FIL that was very involved in the dairy industry, I was amazed to find when living there that New Zealand produced 3 sorts of cheese. Mild cheddar, mature cheddar and colby cheddar (WTF???)

WHY in god's name does country that has so many dairy cattle import cheese such as brie, camembert, even red leicester and edam.

Old Aug 26th 2016, 10:40 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I like a variety of cheese & have learned to keep an eye out at the local supermarket deli where often nice cheese is dramatically reduced in price. Deb isn't a fan so I tend to buy small wedges & keep them refrigerated.
I bought wedges of Stilton, Cheddar, Jarlsberg, Gouda and a small wheel of King Island Brie last week
There's a couple of bottles of Merlot with my name on, that as soon as I've fought off this damned flu, I intend to consume with a cheese platter & some dried fruit.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 11:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of variation with the cheese tastes..... Hopefully someone will give that Mainland a go and report back, especially those that have a preference for Cheddar. I've not tried that White Castello before.... It's about the only one from the above I haven't so I'll get onto that.

Those Jarlesburg's and Stilton and Gruyer's etc... does anyone have a preferred producer ?

I also buy a fair bit of the Aldi Cheeses but haven't really latched on to a "very good" UK one yet.
Old Aug 27th 2016, 8:27 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Cheese is my most favourite food, I've never met one I don't like.

That's a good and bad thing. Since moving to the UK I've found all sorts of different varieties of cheese that I've never tried before, and of course I love them all. That, combined with the amazingly cheap prices compared to Oz, has seen me on a cheese binge of mammoth proportions for 10 months.

It was getting out of hand, so for now I'm restricting myself to a bit of goat milk feta and an occasional piece of vintage cheddar on a water cracker.

My biggest 'cheesy grin' came when I was shopping in Morrisons a few days after arriving here, and saw enormous wedges of French brie and camembert for 1 pound. Be still my beating heart!
Old Aug 27th 2016, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Cheese is my most favourite food, I've never met one I don't like.

That's a good and bad thing. Since moving to the UK I've found all sorts of different varieties of cheese that I've never tried before, and of course I love them all. That, combined with the amazingly cheap prices compared to Oz, has seen me on a cheese binge of mammoth proportions for 10 months.

It was getting out of hand, so for now I'm restricting myself to a bit of goat milk feta and an occasional piece of vintage cheddar on a water cracker.

My biggest 'cheesy grin' came when I was shopping in Morrisons a few days after arriving here, and saw enormous wedges of French brie and camembert for 1 pound. Be still my beating heart!
Check out David Stowe ( not sure if you get it up there in ' winter is coming' land )
Old Aug 27th 2016, 10:03 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Check out David Stowe ( not sure if you get it up there in ' winter is coming' land )
Get thee behind me! (ta, I'll look out for it)

From the number of kids with buckets and spades on the beach this morning, you'd think it was the height of summer. I got hit in the head with an inflatable beach ball as well. Bloody tourists
Old Aug 27th 2016, 10:07 am
Concierge

Sorry Ozzie, meant to say earlier that I really liked the Mainland vintage cheddar. There was also one that Mum put on crackers when the family would visit on a Sunday, kept meaning to ask her what it was because it was so tasty and not a hint of that plastic texture or taste. When I finally got around to asking her, she told me it was Black and Gold!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.