Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Do people not care anymore?

Do people not care anymore?

Old Mar 5th 2014, 8:00 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do people not care anymore?

Originally Posted by Kapri
The school girl was 13, I don't think we can blame her, she was frightened. They would have heard her make the call and she worried they would attack her.
By her videoing it, those girls have been identified, charged and will definitely be convicted.
Tiddler was at school with a friend of one of the girls. Her opinion, no way on hells earth would she ever intervene in any argument that girl got into. Tiddler's brave but not stupid.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 8:37 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Girls can be way worse than boys when it comes to violence, the difference is the consequences are usually worse with boys because of their strength.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 11:05 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Girls can be way worse than boys when it comes to violence, the difference is the consequences are usually worse with boys because of their strength.
Violent women are scarier to deal with
Old Mar 5th 2014, 11:15 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Violent women are scarier to deal with
Yes exactly and far more unpredictable.
Old Mar 6th 2014, 7:58 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Bystander effect offers some explanation for why ppl don't get involved in this sort of thing (not all). Google Bystander and Kitty Genovese. Doesn't explain it all, but it is interesting to read about and think about how you would cope as a bystander.
If you are in public and something happens to you and you need help - call out to a specific person, e.g. "you there in the red coat, please call the police/ ambulance, etc (not at all saying this is what the man should have done - just worth knowing if you find yourself in similar). Almost all people will help when called on specifically or when they are certain there is need that no one else is meeting. I've talked to my kids about this a few times - it could be really important.
The bystander effect is strongest when the group is largest - so you are more at risk of no one helping if lots of people are around than if just one person is.
Poor man
Old Mar 6th 2014, 8:00 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Do you have any actual evidence of this (genuine interest)? In the adult population most violence is perpetrated by men and most victims of violence are women. It makes big news when women/ girls are violent. Ditto when women kill their own children - much rarer than men but much more 'newsworthy'.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 4:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Bystander effect offers some explanation for why ppl don't get involved in this sort of thing (not all). Google Bystander and Kitty Genovese. Doesn't explain it all, but it is interesting to read about and think about how you would cope as a bystander.
If you are in public and something happens to you and you need help - call out to a specific person, e.g. "you there in the red coat, please call the police/ ambulance, etc (not at all saying this is what the man should have done - just worth knowing if you find yourself in similar). Almost all people will help when called on specifically or when they are certain there is need that no one else is meeting. I've talked to my kids about this a few times - it could be really important.
The bystander effect is strongest when the group is largest - so you are more at risk of no one helping if lots of people are around than if just one person is.
Poor man
Self preservation is key ultimately. I can't help but feel I would intervene - but I would be more likely to do this if I felt leading by example would cause others to help and back me up.

It never ceases to amaze how people won't adminster first aid or help - I had to play Doctor the other day - that said - in first aid situations in public you can also have a scenario where 101 people all want 'hands on' and you have 15 people all trying to take a pulse, loosen a sleeve and raise a pair of legs 10 inches...the patient ends up being a 'Resussy Annie'.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 5:55 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Self preservation is key ultimately. I can't help but feel I would intervene - but I would be more likely to do this if I felt leading by example would cause others to help and back me up.

It never ceases to amaze how people won't adminster first aid or help - I had to play Doctor the other day - that said - in first aid situations in public you can also have a scenario where 101 people all want 'hands on' and you have 15 people all trying to take a pulse, loosen a sleeve and raise a pair of legs 10 inches...the patient ends up being a 'Resussy Annie'.
People tend not to administer help even if qualified to because if even the slightest thing went wrong they could be held liable. Sadly you offer any sort of medical assistance without any liability insurance you could be up for a hefty insurance claim. Many people are not prepared to put themselves in that position.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 6:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
People tend not to administer help even if qualified to because if even the slightest thing went wrong they could be held liable. Sadly you offer any sort of medical assistance without any liability insurance you could be up for a hefty insurance claim. Many people are not prepared to put themselves in that position.
Hmmmm...I would not offer my name..
I forget now whether a first aider is protected by the good Samaritan clause.

I know in theory you probably have to get consent before you lay hands on unless they are unconscious..

In this scenario the young lass asked me to put water on her neck with me hands....
Old Mar 7th 2014, 6:40 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Hmmmm...I would not offer my name..
I forget now whether a first aider is protected by the good Samaritan clause.

I know in theory you probably have to get consent before you lay hands on unless they are unconscious..

In this scenario the young lass asked me to put water on her neck with me hands....
The mother was a nurse. 30 odd years ago she was told by her union to never offer assistance unless she was in her work place on duty. She still did, occasionally but only very minor stuff. My eldest crashed her car at a decent speed into a tree whilst having a seizure last year. People 'assisted' by getting her out of the car. None of them had a clue about Epilepsy or whether she'd damaged her back or neck in the crash. They meant well and she was ok, but I'd much rather she'd been left in the car until the Ambulance guys rocked up.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 7:15 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I do a first aid course every three years with the fire brigade & a resuscitation refresher annually. It's always instilled into us that we will not be sued for trying to save a life [Good Samaritan Protection] Even if chest compressions are necessary & ribs are broken in the process.
I've heard scare stories of people being sued but not read any actual accounts. In fact after a bit of a google I read that there has never been a successful prosecution of a first aider for performing CPR [badly]
Old Mar 7th 2014, 7:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by cresta57
I do a first aid course every three years with the fire brigade & a resuscitation refresher annually. It's always instilled into us that we will not be sued for trying to save a life [Good Samaritan Protection] Even if chest compressions are necessary & ribs are broken in the process.
I've heard scare stories of people being sued but not read any actual accounts. In fact after a bit of a google I read that there has never been a successful prosecution of a first aider for performing CPR [badly]
Good to know.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Good to know.
+1
Old Mar 7th 2014, 7:52 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

They have some good common sense laws in this country. For example, recently I've been doing some work relating to child protection and I learnt that when protecting the wellbeing of children, care workers are allowed to share information with other agencies, individuals and entities - provided they are doing so in the best interests of the child.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 8:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There's always some wag who insists you can't do chest compression without breaking a rib or two: in much the same way you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs....

I actually wonder if a court would throw out a case...

I'm pretty big on c-spine injuries..and having established they are unconscious I check for wallet and watch.... in our vol fire brigade we maintain air ways but we don't get people out of cars unless the car is on fire...

That sort of thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.