Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Do people actually like soccer in Australia?

Do people actually like soccer in Australia?

Old May 11th 2011, 12:17 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do people actually like soccer in Australia?

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
19,500 at last count...
Is that it? Seriously? One Melbourne soccer team and under 20,000 members? I'm shocked at that actually!
Old May 11th 2011, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
Spoken like a true soccer fan Its not rare at all, and as pointed out its the only way to score a goal, UNLIKE soccer and catching (marking) the ball off the foot is the only way of taking a set shot for goal or the chance to stop and kick (or hand ball) to a team mate.
Ve-ry nice point Hevs It never ceases to amaze me how the soccer fans get these basic points mixed up - and basically wrong! Aussie Rules is still, really, mostly kicking(!)

Even in ruby you can only score a proper [field] goal with the foot with the 'try' (attempt) awarded because you touched down at the end. It was only in later years that the 'try' became worth more than the 'goal'.

[As far as I know soccer is the only code where goals can be scored as a direct result of on-field histrionics, too, not just the boot. Players of all codes like to engage in all that off-field, as we know Rugby Football is one of the few codes where the referee is considered almost beyond reproach and is accorded the respect he deserves. I find the way soccer players approach the referee and linesmen en masse on a regular basis and remonstrate with them makes the whole code a mockery - infact the way they behave on and off the ball the whole time - but there you go.]

I do believe though that the soccer participation numbers are up there if you count them all - wherever they are - maybe at schools and other venues rather than on the traditional oval.
Old May 11th 2011, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
The 'football' vs 'soccer' debate makes me laugh, if the sport is so good who cares what it is called?

I will happily refer to 'soccer' here to differentiate between other codes and make myself understood, otherwise I just sound like another expat sad sack ...
Hmmmm...It's more a point of being understood, rather than need to argue about what is it called.

Which is very 'soccer'. (Sorry - couldn't resist!)
Old May 11th 2011, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Is that it? Seriously? One Melbourne soccer team and under 20,000 members? I'm shocked at that actually!
Most football people are more interested in armchair supporting thePremier league unfortunately.

Melbourne Victory will probably end up the biggest club in Australia but it may take 20 years... and 4 more world cup qualifications to garner real popular support. I reckon I'll live to see it. The Greeks dont like the A league because of South Melbourne Hellas being barred as there are to be no ethnic affiliations with the A league. Thats a huge chunk of the traditional football attending public in Melbourne. You hardly hear of any Greeks going to MV or Melbourne Heart.

Brisbane progress this year will be the main focus... can they build on last years success. They did manage 50,000 for the final, thats unheard of in Queensland.

Adelaide are doing really well with their support.

Looks like a Cup competition will be taking over the finals series in the next 2/3 years. This will involve those old Ethnic teams, like South Melbourne ...and the St georges of Sydney... those kind of old NSL teams. A real competitive game between South Melbourne Hellas and Melbourne Victory could sell 100,000 tickets... especially if it were well into the finals series. The FFA are very wary of the old Ethnic problems resurfacing in local Football.

The problem with letting the Greeks in for a very big game would be this..... The FFA dont want any part of it. We all know the problems that MV have already had with Flares. I dont think Melbourne or Aus would like this spectacle at the MCG.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 11th 2011 at 11:03 pm.
Old May 11th 2011, 11:02 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Football here is very popular as a participation sport. Lots of people I know will play, watch premier league and champions league but feel no attachment to Sydney FC.

AFL strikes me as very random. A bit like Sunday league football. Hoof.
Old May 12th 2011, 12:02 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
Football here is very popular as a participation sport. Lots of people I know will play, watch premier league and champions league but feel no attachment to Sydney FC.

AFL strikes me as very random. A bit like Sunday league football. Hoof.
Aerial Ping Pong ... OK for the kids I suppose ...
Old May 12th 2011, 12:30 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

At least the AFL coaches don't get threats, parcel bombs and then assaulted on the touchline just because their team is winning ... Scottish Soccer, The Beautiful Game ...

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football...-1226054443917
Old May 12th 2011, 1:23 am
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute

I seriously dont understand where you get those figures from. In every suburb there is an oval. On a couple of nights a week and a saturday morning they are full of either teams (up to 18's) practising or hundreds of little Aus kickers. I have yet to see anyone playing soccer, seriously, I just havent. THEN theres the senior teams AND the VFL, every saturday....just so many teams.
Hevs, I promise I am not making them up

When you say that you haven't seen anyone playing soccer, I would ask where you have looked?
My daughter loves Soccertime Joeys which is available in 28 locations around Melbourne and has sessions available on every day of the week. The sports centre where I play 5 a side is busy every night of the week with 4 pitches having back to back matches. Victoria has plenty of teams for both men and women to play for http://www.footballfedvic.com.au/com...id=7250&mode=0.
Clearly there is plenty of opportunity to participate in soccer and thousands of people do.
Old May 12th 2011, 2:24 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenandPam
Hevs, I promise I am not making them up

When you say that you haven't seen anyone playing soccer, I would ask where you have looked?

Clearly there is plenty of opportunity to participate in soccer and thousands of people do.
I didnt say you were or even mean that you are making them up, I'm just shocked

I havent ""looked" anywhere (cos I feel the way about soccer as you do about footie ) BUT thats my point, for AFL, you dont need to look, its just everywhere (I am of course being Melbourne specific here!)

Clearly there is the opportunity and clearly plenty of people do play, and that all good
Old May 12th 2011, 2:25 am
High in the Dandenongs

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Aerial Ping Pong ... OK for the kids I suppose ...
Yeah, game for kids and poofters (I NEVER use that term lol!)
Old May 12th 2011, 2:26 am
High in the Dandenongs

Most football people are more interested in armchair supporting thePremier league unfortunately.

Melbourne Victory will probably end up the biggest club in Australia but it may take 20 years... and 4 more world cup qualifications to garner real popular support. I reckon I'll live to see it. The Greeks dont like the A league because of South Melbourne Hellas being barred as there are to be no ethnic affiliations with the A league. Thats a huge chunk of the traditional football attending public in Melbourne. You hardly hear of any Greeks going to MV or Melbourne Heart.

Brisbane progress this year will be the main focus... can they build on last years success. They did manage 50,000 for the final, thats unheard of in Queensland.

Adelaide are doing really well with their support.

Looks like a Cup competition will be taking over the finals series in the next 2/3 years. This will involve those old Ethnic teams, like South Melbourne ...and the St georges of Sydney... those kind of old NSL teams. A real competitive game between South Melbourne Hellas and Melbourne Victory could sell 100,000 tickets... especially if it were well into the finals series. The FFA are very wary of the old Ethnic problems resurfacing in local Football.

The problem with letting the Greeks in for a very big game would be this..... The FFA dont want any part of it. We all know the problems that MV have already had with Flares. I dont think Melbourne or Aus would like this spectacle at the MCG.

Ahhh, that explains it
Old May 12th 2011, 3:26 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenandPam
Wrong. I looked into this a couple of years ago with work and in terms of participation, Aussie Rules has nowhere near the numbers that soccer has. This is from 04/05, and I would imagine that after the World Cup, numbers for soccer may well have improved http://www.roymorgan.com/news/press-releases/2005/3934/. .
From Sportal .com 2010
Australian Rules football recorded the highest participation rate in five out of the eight states and territories as well as the highest number of participants in those states and territories. These were Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia, Tasmania and the Northern Territory. Australian Rules football was less popular in New South Wales, Queensland and the Australian Capital Territory.

Participation in soccer (outdoor) had the highest participation rate and the highest number of participants in New South Wales with 4.1% or 219,800 of the population aged 15 years and over. This was more than half of the total participants in Australia (419,600) for soccer (outdoor). The lowest participation rate for soccer (outdoor) was reported in South Australia with 1.4% or 17,200 persons.

As in all Polls - Roy Morgan included, read the fine print

* estimates have a relative standard error of 25% to 50% and should be used with caution

Attendance as against participation:
In 2005-06, Australian Rules football was the sport most attended by Australians aged 15 years and over. It was attended at least once in the 12 months prior to interview by over 2.5 million people or 16% of Australians. Rugby League was the third most attended sport, with 1.5 million people attending at least one Rugby League match in 2005-06 (attendance rate of 9.3%). Rugby Union and soccer (outdoor) were the sixth and seventh most attended sports in Australia. There were 682,000 people (4.3%) who attended Rugby Union and 560,700 people (3.5%) who attended soccer (outdoor).
Old May 12th 2011, 3:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mulben
In 2005-06, Australian Rules football was the sport most attended by Australians aged 15 years and over. It was attended at least once in the 12 months prior to interview by over 2.5 million people or 16% of Australians. Rugby League was the third most attended sport, with 1.5 million people attending at least one Rugby League match in 2005-06 (attendance rate of 9.3%). Rugby Union and soccer (outdoor) were the sixth and seventh most attended sports in Australia. There were 682,000 people (4.3%) who attended Rugby Union and 560,700 people (3.5%) who attended soccer (outdoor).
The Foxsportal is way out on the Soccer figures..... It was over 1.4 million attendees during 2009/2010 season.

http://www.worldfootball.net/zuschau...e-2009-2010/1/

http://www.worldfootball.net/zuschau...2010-finals/1/

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 12th 2011 at 4:04 am.
Old May 12th 2011, 4:26 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

The Foxsportal is way out on the Soccer figures..... It was over 1.4 million attendees during 2009/2010 season.

http://www.worldfootball.net/zuschau...e-2009-2010/1/

http://www.worldfootball.net/zuschau...2010-finals/1/
Even when comparing 2005/6 they don't agree 920.991 attendees

You would think its easy to get reliable figures for gate attendance -strange!
Old May 12th 2011, 5:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mulben
Even when comparing 2005/6 they don't agree 920.991 attendees

You would think its easy to get reliable figures for gate attendance -strange!
Melbourne V had close to 300k on their own last year. Where are you looking ? . Adelaide had 180K..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.