Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Do people actually like soccer in Australia?

Do people actually like soccer in Australia?

Old May 9th 2011, 5:38 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do people actually like soccer in Australia?

I'm in Australia, I don't like soccer. In fact I hate it.
Old May 9th 2011, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rambi
It's because the only way to score a goal is off the foot.
So maybe hockey should be called 'stick' because the only way to score is using the stick?

I've always thought AFL came about because they had a load of cricket pitches lying empty, so wondered what they could do with them. They had a few rugby posts too, some for adults and some for juniors, so stuck those together. Big oval, so make it easier to score by having four posts and not two.

Cricket ball too hard. Few rugby balls lying around - we'll use them. Combine the two so you can run with the ball and bounce it. Hhmmm - OK, looking good.

Need to look different. How about we cut the arms off the shirts and look like modern string vests? Cool. Stick a few players on the pitch to fill it up - make it good numbers. Hhhm, big pitch to talk across. Ok, how about we introduce the concept of having people being able to run onto the oval during play to tell people what to do. Ok, I like it.

Great, its coming together. Now, a name. Don;t want those Sydney wankers getting hold of this. Hey how about VFL - that will screw them up. It worked with VB (that shockingly bad beer), we'll do the same here. See how they like it. We'll show them how to use the cricket ovals....
Old May 9th 2011, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by slipshot
So maybe hockey should be called 'stick' because the only way to score is using the stick?

I've always thought AFL came about because they had a load of cricket pitches lying empty, so wondered what they could do with them. They had a few rugby posts too, some for adults and some for juniors, so stuck those together. Big oval, so make it easier to score by having four posts and not two.

Cricket ball too hard. Few rugby balls lying around - we'll use them. Combine the two so you can run with the ball and bounce it. Hhmmm - OK, looking good.

Need to look different. How about we cut the arms off the shirts and look like modern string vests? Cool. Stick a few players on the pitch to fill it up - make it good numbers. Hhhm, big pitch to talk across. Ok, how about we introduce the concept of having people being able to run onto the oval during play to tell people what to do. Ok, I like it.

Great, its coming together. Now, a name. Don;t want those Sydney wankers getting hold of this. Hey how about VFL - that will screw them up. It worked with VB (that shockingly bad beer), we'll do the same here. See how they like it. We'll show them how to use the cricket ovals....
And yes, I'[m not a fan of AFL but I understand how big it is and in this state, romps over everything. That said, more kids tend to move into soccer as more and more parents see it as safer than AFL and with greater accessibility comes greater acceptance. That said, it's still dominant enough.

We have a football (soccer) team in Victoria that season starts as soon as the cricket pitch is put away and the goal posts put back up. Been going for about 25 years so has some longevity. About 50/50 Australians and ex-pats I would say....
Old May 9th 2011, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

And yes, I'[m not a fan of AFL but I understand how big it is and in this state, romps over everything. That said, more kids tend to move into soccer as more and more parents see it as safer than AFL and with greater accessibility comes greater acceptance. That said, it's still dominant enough.

We have a football (soccer) team in Victoria that season starts as soon as the cricket pitch is put away and the goal posts put back up. Been going for about 25 years so has some longevity. About 50/50 Australians and ex-pats I would say....
Sadly I can't really see the major part of the population taking real notice of Soccer until one of the A league teams does really well in the Asian Champions league for a few seasons. The A league standard would have to be at least 5 - 8 years behind the J league. Those J league teams are probably top championship standard and the A league probably average League one. Having said that, Melbourne Victory put in the one of their best peformances in the their 6 year history against Gamba Osaka and came close to beating them.

Gamba Osaka being the Japanese team that scored 3 against Man United in the World club championship.
Old May 9th 2011, 7:46 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Always gets a bite that one.

The concept of behinds was common in olde English football. It was a feature of Sheffield Rules (under a different name) before it was absorbed into Association Rules.
Old May 9th 2011, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Football has a much bigger presence here now than say just 20 years ago, all the top international players are now widely known, most sports reports cover the results and show footage from the big european leagues, the English Premier league being the most popular, funnily enough even with Greek and Italian aussie's. Participation wise i am pretty sure that in the major metro areas it is the most played sport around. Loads of kids playing, boys and girls, plus lots of adults as you can play up until your 40's. I can see the World Game growing more and more popular over the next couple of decades.
Old May 9th 2011, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by papilon
Football has a much bigger presence here now than say just 20 years ago, all the top international players are now widely known, most sports reports cover the results and show footage from the big european leagues, the English Premier league being the most popular, funnily enough even with Greek and Italian aussie's. Participation wise i am pretty sure that in the major metro areas it is the most played sport around. Loads of kids playing, boys and girls, plus lots of adults as you can play up until your 40's. I can see the World Game growing more and more popular over the next couple of decades.
You can keep going longer than that. The Manly Warringah FA (and am sure a lot of others) in Sydney have an Over 45s league.
Old May 9th 2011, 12:58 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Firebirds through to the Grand Final
Old May 9th 2011, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProudVIC
Australian Rules football in Victoria, Tasmania and South Australia is so far ahead of the other codes in terms of participation and support that it's not even worth debating or comparing. In WA it is also well ahead and Southern NSW has more Australian football support than Rugby League.

I couldn't name one soccer club in my local area in Victoria, although I know they exist they are so insignificant that no one even knows where to go to play or where the nearest soccer pitch is. You have to research it to find out whereas almost every town in Victoria has an Aussie rules club and they are an integral part of the community structure.

Just the fact that it is called soccer over here is an indication that it is a secondary code. The term 'football' here always refers to Australian rules.

There is no way Australian rules football will ever be taken over here. Sure the A league will always have support as Melbourne and Victoria are so sports mad they will follow and/or attend any sporting event regardless of what it is.

However, in terms of overall popularity, and especially participation rates, Australian football is so ingrained as part of the culture here that it is literally
impenetrable, invincible if you like. It will still be the most popular sport here in 1000 years.
Wrong. I looked into this a couple of years ago with work and in terms of participation, Aussie Rules has nowhere near the numbers that soccer has. This is from 04/05, and I would imagine that after the World Cup, numbers for soccer may well have improved http://www.roymorgan.com/news/press-releases/2005/3934/. From my experience, I used to play 5 a side football in a centre near here and the 5 pitches are booked solid from 5pm until 11pm every night. We had to go on a waiting list to get a spot in the league.
As for finding a local soccer club, a quick search shows I have 4 clubs within 10kms of where I live. That took about 2 minutes to find. Like Aussie Rules, there are local leagues for Men, Women and of course kid's with plenty of clubs to play for all across Melbourne.
The AFL may have more support than the A League now, but if Football Federation Australia can convert the huge participation numbers into support, then that could change.
Old May 9th 2011, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute

I think Aussie Rules is like Gaelic Football without the excitment and skill. It has no international competition for club or country, other than the punchup they have with the Irish Gaelic footballers when they are able to get it arranged. After 6 years here I still have absolutely no interest in it.
Old May 9th 2011, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

The FFA should pull it's finger out and try and get some A league games on free to air TV. That MV v Gamba game was very good TV viewing.
Old May 10th 2011, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
The FFA should pull it's finger out and try and get some A league games on free to air TV. That MV v Gamba game was very good TV viewing.
Yes it's a tricky one, Foxtel pays the bigger bucks but the A-League really misses the coverage it would get from being on Free to Air.
Old May 10th 2011, 9:06 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Where I have worked people have like football, league and a few stray Victorians have liked AFL. No one other than myself and the Indans seemed to like the cricket over summer for some reason.
Old May 11th 2011, 12:11 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
It confuses me slightly as to why Aussie Rules is considered 'foot'ball at all. It's rare for the ball to be in contact with the foot.
Spoken like a true soccer fan Its not rare at all, and as pointed out its the only way to score a goal, UNLIKE soccer and catching (marking) the ball off the foot is the only way of taking a set shot for goal or the chance to stop and kick (or hand ball) to a team mate.
Old May 11th 2011, 12:14 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenandPam
Wrong. I looked into this a couple of years ago with work and in terms of participation, Aussie Rules has nowhere near the numbers that soccer has. .
I seriously dont understand where you get those figures from. In every suburb there is an oval. On a couple of nights a week and a saturday morning they are full of either teams (up to 18's) practising or hundreds of little Aus kickers. I have yet to see anyone playing soccer, seriously, I just havent. THEN theres the senior teams AND the VFL, every saturday....just so many teams.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.