Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

DIY Help needed urgently (before I kill hubby!)

DIY Help needed urgently (before I kill hubby!)

Old Sep 30th 2009, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DIY Help needed urgently (before I kill hubby!)

Originally Posted by sasbear
How would we adhere the cement sheet to the wall????
Yyeeessss. hhmmm

Gyprock adhesive glue (not hard as nails) but your problem is not enough contact to hold the sheet as you don't want gaps behind.

The original tiles where straight on a plastered masonry wall - the best result would still be that way.

geez I,m a big help
Old Sep 30th 2009, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

If you need to flex the board THAT much you may find you have trouble tiling it too
I would go for, either a complete replastering job, OR affix timber studding to the wall to which you can screw your plasterboards
If you lean that much on "cement" sheeting ..it'll snap
Old Sep 30th 2009, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

wanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant future

Hi,

For a start DO NOT use "no nails". Use plasterboard adhesive you buy it in power form and mix it like plaster you can use a far bigger spot of it and it costs less (this is called dot dabbing). You would have to use at least a tube of no nails per sheet and still not get a good fixing. Run a thick bead of it along the top and bottom of the wall then put a large spot (dab) every 400mm roughly then place your board against it and tap it onto the adhesive making sure its plumb with your spirit level.

See an example below, although you won't be able to to it as good as this guy..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pssxkpXEb8&feature=fvw

Rgds,

Tony.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 7:54 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wanttobedownunder
Hi,

For a start DO NOT use "no nails". Use plasterboard adhesive you buy it in power form and mix it like plaster you can use a far bigger spot of it and it costs less (this is called dot dabbing). You would have to use at least a tube of no nails per sheet and still not get a good fixing. Run a thick bead of it along the top and bottom of the wall then put a large spot (dab) every 400mm roughly then place your board against it and tap it onto the adhesive making sure its plumb with your spirit level.

Rgds,

Tony.
thats the way to do it
Old Sep 30th 2009, 10:06 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

You may have a cement sheet or Villa board... I would use Drywall/masonary adheasive and rather that dab it on would use a 10mm notch trowel and go over the whole board and then whack it up. No other fixing required and is very solid so no drumming effect for the tiles.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wanttobedownunder
Hi,

Rgds,

Tony.
I wonder if his wife ever shoved a spirit level in his.................???
Old Sep 30th 2009, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

sasbear;

if you use 50mm counter sunk wood screws you drill them just inside the plasterboard then when all done you simply skim over the screws with filler.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
sasbear;

if you use 50mm counter sunk wood screws you drill them just inside the plasterboard then when all done you simply skim over the screws with filler.

Well thank you to all....the outcome this morning....The worst wall was the one he started on and was so out of line it was unbeleivable!!!! The other walls look a doddle

We ended up taking the (plaster)board off, chiselling some of the worst bits off with this digger tool thingy (see how technical I have become overnight!) then tried again with wood chocking it from the other side to keep in place across the wall - and this morning? Well it appears to have worked it is almost level - and only about 3 mm out across the whole span.......

The lowering of the ceiling was easy compared to this bloody job - we have the rest of it to do today.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 10:49 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly, since you have bare breeze blocks for a wall, youd be much better off getting the wall plastered.
If you really want to use gyprock (drywall), you should first frame the wall with 1x2" strapping, then screw the gyprock to the strapping. A good tip also is to get yourself a prybar and block of wood to use as a shim to pry and hold the gyprock to the ceiling while you screw a couple of screws. You use your foot to hold the prybar thus leaving your hands free to screww the screws in.
To screw the screws in it is best to use a drywall drill, but any drill that has variable torque will do since a normal drill is harder to control and stop your screw from going right through the gyprock.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
Firstly, since you have bare breeze blocks for a wall, youd be much better off getting the wall plastered.
If you really want to use gyprock (drywall), you should first frame the wall with 1x2" strapping, then screw the gyprock to the strapping. A good tip also is to get yourself a prybar and block of wood to use as a shim to pry and hold the gyprock to the ceiling while you screw a couple of screws. You use your foot to hold the prybar thus leaving your hands free to screww the screws in.
To screw the screws in it is best to use a drywall drill, but any drill that has variable torque will do since a normal drill is harder to control and stop your screw from going right through the gyprock.

cHEERS - AND THE LATEST...............................

The ****** thing has come away from the ****** wall AGAIN.

I give up. HE is going to build a frame - and do as others have suggested. Why oh why do men tend to think better when they have a spiriti level up their....
Old Oct 1st 2009, 2:26 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

thanks for the update on that Sas, I was reading your post with great amusement (sorry) seems that the frame idea is the best one. Good luck with that and yeah, the spirit level always gets results eh?
Old Oct 1st 2009, 4:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Ummmm - hire a plasterer and then go away for the weekend and let them get on with it?

DIY is a dirty word as far as I am concerned but DH thinks he is good at it
Old Oct 1st 2009, 4:32 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Ummmm - hire a plasterer and then go away for the weekend and let them get on with it?

DIY is a dirty word as far as I am concerned but DH thinks he is good at it
I agree. If a job is fairly easy then fine otherwise save yourself the hassle and get someone in.

Sasbear: Thanks for the laffs
Old Oct 1st 2009, 4:53 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

sasbear;

i think we should come 7 do the job for you, it shall cost you only for beer, more Beer, food, more food, more Beer.,??????
Old Oct 1st 2009, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
sasbear;

i think we should come 7 do the job for you, it shall cost you only for beer, more Beer, food, more food, more Beer.,??????
LOL - We are trying to renovate all on our own aside from the electrician and plumber.....but at times we have been left scratching our heads....I said we have to get the bathroom fitted out first....as the only toilet is the outside one on the porch....they didn't have an inside toilet, so that has set us back a while with hiring equipment in to dig through concrete.....

It took us a week to find the septic tank....and then we had to sort out the water pressure....but yesterday...I had ENOUGH. As you can all probably guess.

I really cracked it and told him where to go, in short sharp jerky movements...

I think that has 'levelled' his temper a little now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.