Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Discovery..Chocolate and Bisto lovers.

Discovery..Chocolate and Bisto lovers.

Old Sep 27th 2009, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Desire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to behold
Default Discovery..Chocolate and Bisto lovers.

Chocolate
I know this will pi** some people off.... but by pure accident my daughter and i have found what we believe the closest taste to a uk Cadbury's chocolate bar....(apart from a Freddo frog) Plaistowe cooking chocolate of all things or maybe we have just been out of the uk for too long
And i know it's been said before but again after 4 years i finally gave in and tried Greens gravy granules and yes they as nice as bisto.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 2:46 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Discovery..Chocolate and Bisto lovers.

Originally Posted by Desire
Chocolate
I know this will pi** some people off.... but by pure accident my daughter and i have found what we believe the closest taste to a uk Cadbury's chocolate bar....(apart from a Freddo frog) Plaistowe cooking chocolate of all things or maybe we have just been out of the uk for too long
And i know it's been said before but again after 4 years i finally gave in and tried Greens gravy granules and yes they as nice as bisto.
Have you tried the new Australian Cadbury blocks ?, now that Cadbury has decided to add vegetable fat to its Australian chocolate range.
It is now supposed to be the same as the UK recipe.

Old Sep 28th 2009, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

nevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nice

Hi

You will get your Bisto Gravy Granules and proper Cadbury's at Sid's Pie Shop just off the Pacific Highway near Tanah Merah,for those in the Brissy area.

Old Sep 28th 2009, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud of

What about Marrowfat peas? Have any of you seen them around Brisbane?
Old Sep 29th 2009, 12:15 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Brisbane bound
Feb 17th 2006
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...77#post3255877
Marrowfat Peas are an emerging crop in Tasmania.

Marrowfat Peas are used for human consumption for export to mainly Asian markets. The industry (In Tasmania) is being developed by a New Zealand company, which produces 80% of that country’s Marrowfat Peas.

Old Sep 30th 2009, 1:08 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really like Bisto gravy granules but I have been missing Bisto gravy powder, you know of the "browns seasons and thickens all in one....." variety. But good news, I should be getting some from the British Lolly Shop soon, I'm all excited ... and I realise this makes me a saddo ... and I realise that I'm now sharing the fact that I'm a saddo with all of you - oh dear!
Old Sep 30th 2009, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

binnz10 will become famous soon enoughbinnz10 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Brisbane bound
Try the specialty section in your Coles Supermarket, In the ones around us they have a selection of English things including marrowfat peas and batchelors mushy peas, Birds Custard powder. They also have Hellmans Mayo for those that can't take to the Aussie stuff.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Have you tried the new Australian Cadbury blocks ?, now that Cadbury has decided to add vegetable fat to its Australian chocolate range.
It is now supposed to be the same as the UK recipe.
Ah-haa! The first time i tried Aussie Cadburys, it was clear to me that the UK version was far nicer. We had some Aussie Cadburys a few weeks ago and I remarked to my partner 'Oh, this tastes quite nice - I must be getting used to it now'....now I know why it suddenly tastes nicer

What was the story with the original recipe anyway? Was it to stop the choc melting in the heat?
Old Oct 1st 2009, 2:05 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Rainydaze
What was the story with the original recipe anyway? Was it to stop the choc melting in the heat?
You really want to know ?

Very recently Cadbury in Australia changed its package sizes, changed its packaging and changed one of the ingredients…. and it now appears to taste the same as the British version.

But… the average Australian consumer dislikes it, and wants it to go back to what it was.

What did they add ?

What does British Chocolate have, that Australian chocolate didn’t ?

The answer is…. Vegetable fat…

Some news articles:

“Australian Chocolate lovers are outraged at Cadbury’s decision to add vegetable fat to its Australian chocolate range“

and

In 1973 a European Union directive defined CHOCOLATE for the member states as a product that contain no fats, other than cocoa butter.
England however, chose to still include up to five percent vegetable fats in their formulations, with the EU dubbing British chocolate with added Vegetable Fat, as “vegelate”.

An embarrassing moment, when we realise that we prefer our chocolate with added vegetable fat, instead of pure Cocoa butter.
I did see a copy of an email, supposedly from Cadbury, saying that the addition of vegetable fat was to keep costs down.

Old Oct 2nd 2009, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

You really want to know ?

I did see a copy of an email, supposedly from Cadbury, saying that the addition of vegetable fat was to keep costs down.
Hmmnn. Should have stayed blissfully ignorant!
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Or was this something to do with ditching palm oil?
Old Oct 4th 2009, 1:43 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Rainydaze
Or was this something to do with ditching palm oil?
The Palm Oil was the vegetable fat that they added but have now decided to remove again, following public reaction to it.

Cadbury still use palm oil in the UK. http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...burys-palm-oil
On Monday, Cadbury gave in. They grovelled. "We got it wrong... we hope Kiwis will forgive us. I'm really sorry," said local managing director Matthew Oldham. They were going back to cocoa butter, he said.

Of course, this about-face doesn't affect the brand in countries such as Britain, where palm oil is a long-standing ingredient. So Cadbury still looks like a soft target for campaigners.