Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Did the UK do the right thing in voting to leave the E.U.

View Poll Results: Brexit the aftermath, did the people of the UK vote correctly ?
Yes
40.95%
No
50.48%
Not more bloody navel gazing for gawd sakes !!!
8.57%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Did the UK do the right thing in voting to leave the E.U.

Old Jul 11th 2016, 11:39 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did the UK do the right thing in voting to leave the E.U.

"You take the job"

"No you take the job"

"You take the job, I insist"

"Wouldn't think of it, the job's yours"

At this rate the Downing Street cat will get the job, and probably do it better
Old Jul 11th 2016, 11:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently no new contest and May will be PM:

Andrea Leadsom quits leadership race, paving the way for May to become PM - Politics live | Politics | The Guardian
Old Jul 11th 2016, 12:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
"You take the job"

"No you take the job"

"You take the job, I insist"

"Wouldn't think of it, the job's yours"

At this rate the Downing Street cat will get the job, and probably do it better
You are the man for the job and I'll never stand for it (Gove to Johnson) to get a chance of Leave before the referendum.

After the referendum - you are not suited for the job (Gove to Johnson) and I've changed my mind I'm going to stand; Boris withdraws, Gove finishes out of top 2 due to his treachery. Step forward Leadsom the champion of the Leavers. Her inexperience is highlighted and she shoots herself in the foot with her mouth; withdraws before getting hammered in the contest.
Old Jul 11th 2016, 12:18 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Theresa May it will be

Here's to a righter, brighter future for the UK
Old Jul 11th 2016, 12:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Theresa May it will be

Here's to a righter, brighter future for the UK
'Too early champ' says you elsewhere.
Old Jul 11th 2016, 12:47 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
You are the man for the job and I'll never stand for it (Gove to Johnson) to get a chance of Leave before the referendum.

After the referendum - you are not suited for the job (Gove to Johnson) and I've changed my mind I'm going to stand; Boris withdraws, Gove finishes out of top 2 due to his treachery. Step forward Leadsom the champion of the Leavers. Her inexperience is highlighted and she shoots herself in the foot with her mouth; withdraws before getting hammered in the contest.
The fundamental problem is the UK leaving the EU might even be the right move ....... but only if they had leadership that could chart the difficult waters, make friends, and have a real vision of the UK doing better outside the EU.

However, if they had that then they wouldn't need to leave the EU, they could find a way round the problems without jumping ship.

Real leadership and winning intelligence are the missing ingredient.

As it is, the choices for tory leader are all such a bunch of clueless cretins that even they realise they are not up to the job - which is saying something for such a bunch of raging egomaniacs.

We need another sword in another stone.
Old Jul 11th 2016, 12:52 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I now noticw that ALL the leaders in the 'leave' camp have jumped ship, leaving others to do the dirty work. Shows the quality of people in the 'leave' camp.
Old Jul 11th 2016, 2:47 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
At the moment the control and power resides with the UK government. The moment they press the button, the control and power switches to the EU. It's daft to do so until you are sure they are not going to try to screw you over.

But the EU have been saying they won't negotiate till the button is pushed.
Of course, why should they? It would be a complete waste of time on their behalf to succumb to yet more childish behaviour on the part of our politicians. If someone wants to leave they should officially invoke article 50 and then - and ONLY then - ask the other side to join the negotiating table.

Overall I wouldn't expect the UK to do very well in today's times. Imagine the US negotiating a trade agreement with China. Now imagine Tennessee going independent of the US and trying to sit down at the table with a similarly tough stance. Yeah, not quite the same weight class, eh?

Then again politicians might sell out to China and they might prop up the UK in return. This would be very sad indeed, and the Chinese are known for going in on the best of terms (for themselves) when the other side is most vulnerable.
Old Jul 11th 2016, 3:03 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting "theory" that kind of sums up what the picture looked like after the dust had settled (even before the recent back-stabbing and escape act by the Leavers):

http://indy100.independent.co.uk/art...ue--bJhqBql0VZ
Old Jul 11th 2016, 4:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

New PM says to old PM, 'look there's Britain leaving the EU' or Cameron to May, I pass this baton of exiting the EU onto you my fellow remainer (or add your own caption)

Old Jul 11th 2016, 10:50 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

New PM says to old PM, 'look there's Britain leaving the EU' or Cameron to May, I pass this baton of exiting the EU onto you my fellow remainer (or add your own caption)

http://i.imgur.com/JF1Uipx.jpg
May was a reluctant Remainer. I don't think that she will be the saviour the Remain camp is hoping for...

S
Old Jul 11th 2016, 11:22 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by astera
Of course, why should they? It would be a complete waste of time on their behalf to succumb to yet more childish behaviour on the part of our politicians. If someone wants to leave they should officially invoke article 50 and then - and ONLY then - ask the other side to join the negotiating table.
Because they want the uncertainty ended and the UK out; and given the alternative the uncertainty (and time) benefits the UK.

They may be 'informal' discussions, but sooner or later the EU is going to have to come to an agreement with the UK as to the shape of the future, and if May has any sense it will be before any button is pressed. Posturing don't help them.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 4:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Looking on the bright side as I tend to, the Brexit vote has at least exposed near enough every big name politician the UK has, as distinctly lacking in the skill to run their own country. They've been a world wide laughing stock, and rightly so. If Brexit can trigger the people into demanding MPs that have a clue about what they're doing, it may well have been a good thing. World leaders my arse, they're a pack of fannies.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 8:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
May was a reluctant Remainer. I don't think that she will be the saviour the Remain camp is hoping for...

S
A reluctant remainer sounds like someone saying they are sort of a virgin.

The alternatives were not worth thinking about for the country - Boris as PM (a committed remainer who chose to head the leave campaign as he thought that would give him the keys to Number 10 and then was staggered when the country actually voted leave), Gove as PM (showed his true colours and got his reward from his fellow Tories by not getting on the 2 person ticket) or Leadsom as PM (totally out of her depth and obviously pushed forward by leavers to oppose Gove).
Old Jul 12th 2016, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

A reluctant remainer sounds like someone saying they are sort of a virgin.

The alternatives were not worth thinking about for the country - Boris as PM (a committed remainer who chose to head the leave campaign as he thought that would give him the keys to Number 10 and then was staggered when the country actually voted leave), Gove as PM (showed his true colours and got his reward from his fellow Tories by not getting on the 2 person ticket) or Leadsom as PM (totally out of her depth and obviously pushed forward by leavers to oppose Gove).
.... then there's the Labour party ..... the country is in deep, and dire poo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.