Curry

Old May 12th 2008, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

spunkytiger82 has a spectacular aura aboutspunkytiger82 has a spectacular aura aboutspunkytiger82 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Curry

Originally Posted by stevenglish
I've found the only way to get a goodun is to make it myself, all the spices are freely available (probably more so than the UK) it's just that no-one seems to know how to put them together. Get a copy of pat chapman's curry bible and if you're feeling brave make a harsha tindaloo:curse::curse:
I've never really tried making them but could definately give it a go. Hubby likes Biriani (if thats how you spell it) with the curry sauce. Would be interested to try making it.

Can you get that recipe book out here, or is there any others you recommend
Old May 12th 2008, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

spunkytiger82 has a spectacular aura aboutspunkytiger82 has a spectacular aura aboutspunkytiger82 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Then why don't you organise one in Eltham? I'd like an excuse to see it again (and meet you)

Buzzy
Me and the other half would be up for meeting up in Eltham for a curry...
Old May 12th 2008, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Poppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish
I've found the only way to get a goodun is to make it myself, all the spices are freely available (probably more so than the UK) it's just that no-one seems to know how to put them together. Get a copy of pat chapman's curry bible and if you're feeling brave make a harsha tindaloo:curse::curse:

I agree that its easy to make your own,, but when you've had a long day and you fancy a decent curry and all the trimmings nothing beats a takeaway
Old May 12th 2008, 10:48 pm
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spunkytiger82
I've never really tried making them but could definately give it a go. Hubby likes Biriani (if thats how you spell it) with the curry sauce. Would be interested to try making it.

Can you get that recipe book out here, or is there any others you recommend
gimme a while and I'll get back to you with what I can get. I got some cracking recipe cards too, will scan them for u if u like.
Old May 12th 2008, 10:52 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Poppett44
I agree that its easy to make your own,, but when you've had a long day and you fancy a decent curry and all the trimmings nothing beats a takeaway
You can make buckets of the stuff before hand and just have it when you want it. A vindaloo will last forever cos you marinade the meat in red wine vinegar and chillies for 24 hours. plus i like to spend a day in the kitchen cooking it all and get pissed at the same time, it's the law to do that by the way
Old May 12th 2008, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

My OH is great at curries. We started out with the Pat Chapman Curry Club books and I highly recomend them to anyone getting started.

Once you make up your own spice blends you can then use them in the recipies. Its really easy and the results are delish.

Our chicken tikka blows your head off and friends say its better than anyting they have had in a curry house.
Try this one:

Butter Chicken:
Cut one and a half pounds of chicken breasts into bitesized chunks
Marinade in Light Tandoori Marinade (see below) covered in fridge for 1-24 hrs (in a non metalic bowl).
Heat 2oz (roughly) of butter in a wok. Add 1 tablespoon of cumin seeds. When they begin to pop (10 seconds) add the chicken and stir fry until cooked.

Light Tandoori Marinade
5fl oz (150ml) milk
2 teasp garlic powder
1 teasp ginger powder
1 teasp chilli powder (more if you like it hotter)
1 teasp dried mint
1 teasp salt
1/2 teasp deep red food colouring (optional)
1/2 teasp turmeric

You can make batches of the marinade in advance and just add the milk when you come to use it. It keeps for ages in an airtight jar.

Pat Chapman also has a book called "quick after work curries" if you cant be arsed with the preparation and marinades etc!
Old May 12th 2008, 10:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by RenShen
My OH is great at curries. We started out with the Pat Chapman Curry Club books and I highly recomend them to anyone getting started.

Once you make up your own spice blends you can then use them in the recipies. Its really easy and the results are delish.

Our chicken tikka blows your head off and friends say its better than anyting they have had in a curry house.
Try this one:

Butter Chicken:
Cut one and a half pounds of chicken breasts into bitesized chunks
Marinade in Light Tandoori Marinade (see below) covered in fridge for 1-24 hrs (in a non metalic bowl).
Heat 2oz (roughly) of butter in a wok. Add 1 tablespoon of cumin seeds. When they begin to pop (10 seconds) add the chicken and stir fry until cooked.

Light Tandoori Marinade
5fl oz (150ml) milk
2 teasp garlic powder
1 teasp ginger powder
1 teasp chilli powder (more if you like it hotter)
1 teasp dried mint
1 teasp salt
1/2 teasp deep red food colouring (optional)
1/2 teasp turmeric

You can make batches of the marinade in advance and just add the milk when you come to use it. It keeps for ages in an airtight jar.

Pat Chapman also has a book called "quick after work curries" if you cant be arsed with the preparation and marinades etc!
If you and your OH ever fall out, there's a place for you at my house
Old May 12th 2008, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you

If you like, i can post a recipe each day. I have a lovely one for raita. Its 3 cups of yoghurt with 1/2 a finely chopped red onion, 1/2 teasp of minced garlic, 1 teasp cumin powder and some chopped coriander.

Had it tonight with veg curry.

If you make it with low fat yoghurt its actually diet food!!!!!!
Old May 12th 2008, 11:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by RenShen
Thank you

If you like, i can post a recipe each day. I have a lovely one for raita. Its 3 cups of yoghurt with 1/2 a finely chopped red onion, 1/2 teasp of minced garlic, 1 teasp cumin powder and some chopped coriander.

Had it tonight with veg curry.

If you make it with low fat yoghurt its actually diet food!!!!!!
That'd be great, I'll give you some of my recipes too. Definitely worth either making your own breads tho or getting them from a takeaway. supermarket ones just don't cut it. Last time I had a veggie curry I got banned from the bedroom
Old May 12th 2008, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Know what you mean. I do one with spaghetti, lentils, carrot and onion. We call it blanket raiser