The Cricket Thread

Old Dec 31st 2017, 6:13 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Barmy Army, I found very subdued the day I attended here in Perth. Disappointing to say the least. A rousing version of 'Jerusalem' , was about it at the beginning. (which was well received)
Rest of day very little. They surely missed the coordination of past matches. Together with no trumpeter . Best I've witnessed over past decade plus was The Army in Cape Town for the 2004 Test. Great fun both at the ground and around certain watering holes in town and harbour front.
Very very quiet in Brisbane too, one Aussie mate I was with commented on it and wondered if economic conditions/brexit had put the more enthusiastic off.
Old Dec 31st 2017, 6:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Very very quiet in Brisbane too, one Aussie mate I was with commented on it and wondered if economic conditions/brexit had put the more enthusiastic off.
It could well be. The economy remains stinted in Perth regardless of lots of talking up the economy. Here in Perth the day venue was in the past a riverside pub right in the heart of CBD called The Lucky Shag. This Ashes relocated HQ to East Perth location called The Royal. Had a look in there and countered eight people. The Shag would have been heaving.

The day I went few backpacker types also. Very few in fact. We in Perth have lost both our English themed pubs as well. Hence no longer an England city venue.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 2:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Its just Brisbane. They were going strong in Melbourne and Sydney on day 5.

Its been great banter as per usual. We must do it again.

4-0.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 3:51 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
England rely 100% on grassy pitches and a Duke ball. If you find neutral with both of those ..... winner.
Mmmm, partly agree but this is only one aspect to England's failure on this tour. They have got themselves into good positions in 3 of the tests only to blow it (okay, the weather got them at the MCG). For me, it's the failure of key personnel at critical moments that did them in. We know that Broad can get results in Australia but he was awful in the first 3 tests. Ali was a massive disappointment and now looks like a one trick pony (it's obvious now that Swann was the zenith for modern English spin bowling). Cook came good at the end but much of England's top order just looked ordinary. I reckon they arrived out here expecting to lose and there was nothing they could do about it - and it showed

Positives for them going forward: Anderson still consistent and full of beans. Broad has found his mojo again. Malan is finding his place and looks like the real deal. Root had some good moments as captain

As for Australia - England made them look better than they are IMO. As Chappell said, we'll know after their upcoming tour to SA how good they really are. England have not provided the test to show us much in this regard
Old Jan 8th 2018, 4:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Mmmm, partly agree but this is only one aspect to England's failure on this tour. They have got themselves into good positions in 3 of the tests only to blow it (okay, the weather got them at the MCG). For me, it's the failure of key personnel at critical moments that did them in. We know that Broad can get results in Australia but he was awful in the first 3 tests. Ali was a massive disappointment and now looks like a one trick pony (it's obvious now that Swann was the zenith for modern English spin bowling). Cook came good at the end but much of England's top order just looked ordinary. I reckon they arrived out here expecting to lose and there was nothing they could do about it - and it showed

Positives for them going forward: Anderson still consistent and full of beans. Broad has found his mojo again. Malan is finding his place and looks like the real deal. Root had some good moments as captain

As for Australia - England made them look better than they are IMO. As Chappell said, we'll know after their upcoming tour to SA how good they really are. England have not provided the test to show us much in this regard
T-52 days and counting. Watching the SA / India series with great interest.

As I always say, its the bowlers that win tests providing the batsmen aren't worlds apart and I don't think Australia and England are worlds apart in the batting dept. Sure people will talk Smith but Root is pretty good too. Australia have the flat track bullies in the Marsh brothers - I really hope they don't get picked for the next England Ashes - it will be a disaster. Khawaja would be a worry on those English pitches too.

SA has a great bowling line up too.

This pretty much sums it up.

Most wickets
Player Wkts
PJ Cummins� (AUS) 23
MA Starc� (AUS) 22
JR Hazlewood� (AUS) 21
NM Lyon� (AUS) 21
JM Anderson� (ENG) 17
SCJ Broad� (ENG) 11
CR Woakes� (ENG) 10
C Overton� (ENG) 6
MM Ali� (ENG) 5
JE Root� (ENG) 2
TK Curran� (ENG) 2
JT Ball� (ENG) 1
MS Crane� (ENG) 1
SPD Smith� (AUS) 0
DJ Malan� (ENG) 0
JM Bird� (AUS) 0
MR Marsh� (AUS) 0
Old Jan 8th 2018, 7:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

I caught a glimpse of the cricket earlier today on TV.. The Barmy Army were certainly loud at the time of viewing. As yesterday many with shirts off (over 40 degree heat yesterday) turning red instances and well on the way to being wiped out but without a care. Great stuff. Some lessons in life there.

I for one wouldn't mind combing another spell in South Africa when England next tour there. For some reason not so interested to when Australia tours.....
Newlands Cricket Grounds great atmosphere ....quite like Kingsmead in Durban as well, (close to the sea) but sadly Durban is long removed from the city it once was, and more than a little scary along the beach front, sadly outside the hotel area. Now there is a place easy to get mugged without trying.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I caught a glimpse of the cricket earlier today on TV.. The Barmy Army were certainly loud at the time of viewing. As yesterday many with shirts off (over 40 degree heat yesterday) turning red instances and well on the way to being wiped out but without a care. Great stuff. Some lessons in life there.
I was there yesterday (actually all 5 days). I do not know how anyone could sit in the sun yesterday as the Barmy Army and a collection of other spectators did. The shade was bad enough. Luckily for us members we have a pool out the back. Several swims helped.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I was there yesterday (actually all 5 days). I do not know how anyone could sit in the sun yesterday as the Barmy Army and a collection of other spectators did. The shade was bad enough. Luckily for us members we have a pool out the back. Several swims helped.
I dare say. Like I say life is dandy for some. I suppose it shows true commitment by those without the props. Too many of us are perhaps over pampered these days.

Originally those following The Barmy Army I recall did it on the cheap. Staying in Back packers and the like. It became a business of course over time catering for a far more cashed up clientele.

From the look I'd imagine many, perhaps most, were back packers more than here solely for The Ashes.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I dare say. Like I say life is dandy for some. I suppose it shows true commitment by those without the props. Too many of us are perhaps over pampered these days.

Originally those following The Barmy Army I recall did it on the cheap. Staying in Back packers and the like. It became a business of course over time catering for a far more cashed up clientele.

From the look I'd imagine many, perhaps most, were back packers more than here solely for The Ashes.
Why the focus on money? It doesn't matter what their wealth is. They were there for the cricket, their country, the booze, and the fun, and they were there til the end.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 12:54 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Yeh, just not good enough in the end. Not just Smith either, lacking bowling potency and no batting grit early on too.

Ali ... floated like a butterfly, stung like one.

Shit, even Khawaja managed to score some runs eventually, a sure sign we were struggling.

Stokes pocketing IPL $ and going on the piss looking for a fight obviously a suboptimal strategy.

The 4-0 inflatable hand thing on the podium shows the Aussies up for their deficit of class off the field though.

Hope for a more competitive ODI series ...
Old Jan 8th 2018, 1:51 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Big f**king Vern, you f**king legend!!!!
Old Jan 8th 2018, 2:15 pm
Proudly Deplorable

What a test - this is how they should be

India were genuinely in this - and I was worried a bit there, especially as we were a bowler down, but the other guys stepped up and bowled their guts out. Maybe losing Steynie is a talisman - the same happened in Perth against Australia!
Old Jan 8th 2018, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Why the focus on money? It doesn't matter what their wealth is. They were there for the cricket, their country, the booze, and the fun, and they were there til the end.
Your comment money, not mine. Mine referring to different type of personality. That being more akin to a football crowd. Not all have a extended interest in cricket, but some do like to wind the Aussies up.
No blame there.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

sun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond repute

What a test - this is how they should be

India were genuinely in this - and I was worried a bit there, especially as we were a bowler down, but the other guys stepped up and bowled their guts out. Maybe losing Steynie is a talisman - the same happened in Perth against Australia!
It was a great match. Sucks to have lost, as an Indian. But we bowled quite well. Our first innings fielding was rather poor. Just when we manage to build a genuine seam/pace attack, we are let down by poor close in fielding. And we were a tad aggressive with the bat, when a more circumspect performance would have gotten us closer . All our wickets went to our pace quartet .

This test at least shows we have the bowling to exploit the conditions; we need to up our batting and fielding.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 5:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Big f**king Vern, you f**king legend!!!!
He did just great!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.