The Cricket Thread

Old Dec 22nd 2014, 12:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Originally Posted by Beoz
No mate ...... his biggest howler was bowling first at Edgbaston in 2005 after Glenn McGrath stood on the cricket ball.
Sorry Edgbaston not Lords. Captains make many such decisions every match and to denigrate one of the best captain's records of all time (2nd only to Smith, Graeme not Steve, in number of wins; top few in % of wins to matches played) and make him appear (in your eyes) to be hopeless doesn't stand up to any scrutiny.

"Statistically, he is one of the most successful captains of all time, with 48 victories in 77 Tests between 2004 and 31 December 2010. As a player, Ricky Ponting is the only cricketer in history to be involved in 100 Test victories. Ponting also holds the record to have been involved in maximum ODI victories as a player with 262 wins. End of story; we'll just have to beg to differ. Join the long list who are still aggrieved that Punter and not Warnie was picked to succeed Steve Waugh.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 10:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Sorry Edgbaston not Lords. Captains make many such decisions every match and to denigrate one of the best captain's records of all time (2nd only to Smith, Graeme not Steve, in number of wins; top few in % of wins to matches played) and make him appear (in your eyes) to be hopeless doesn't stand up to any scrutiny.

"Statistically, he is one of the most successful captains of all time, with 48 victories in 77 Tests between 2004 and 31 December 2010. As a player, Ricky Ponting is the only cricketer in history to be involved in 100 Test victories. Ponting also holds the record to have been involved in maximum ODI victories as a player with 262 wins. End of story; we'll just have to beg to differ. Join the long list who are still aggrieved that Punter and not Warnie was picked to succeed Steve Waugh.
I have no interest in Pontings record surrounded by the second best team of players of all time.

I have interest in the way he conducted himself as captain on and off the field.

To be wound up by childish English crowds is inexcusable for starters. He was poor. Nuff said.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 10:59 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

To be wound up by childish English crowds is inexcusable for starters.
Crowds do what crowds do
He was the one who got wound up....are you sure it was the crowd being childish

What could be more childish than the Australian press at the start of the last Ashes series?
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 3:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling
Crowds do what crowds do
He was the one who got wound up....are you sure it was the crowd being childish

What could be more childish than the Australian press at the start of the last Ashes series?
Hard to disagree with that, childish crowds throw their toys out and leave the ground if their team's losing, anything else is just a difference in how you support your team.
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 6:08 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Any advice from the experts? I'm back home in july next year and have always wanted to go to a Test at Lords, but never done it. So I've entered the ballot for the Ashes - does anyone know what the chances are of actually getting a ticket? And if I bid for all 5 days am I committed to buying for all five days if I get picked in the ballot, or do they give you an option to back out of 1 or 2 before charging you?
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 6:09 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
Hard to disagree with that, childish crowds throw their toys out and leave the ground if their team's losing, anything else is just a difference in how you support your team.
Never leave the ground, either winning of losing! I always stick it out to the bitter end, even if i am in the bar with earplugs in and my eyes shut against the TV! Kind of says true devotion to the team, whatever sport, in my opinion of course.
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 7:33 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Any advice from the experts? I'm back home in july next year and have always wanted to go to a Test at Lords, but never done it. So I've entered the ballot for the Ashes - does anyone know what the chances are of actually getting a ticket? And if I bid for all 5 days am I committed to buying for all five days if I get picked in the ballot, or do they give you an option to back out of 1 or 2 before charging you?
I would imagine that you are not obliged to buy any tickets - even if selected. It's like that for Wimbledon anyway

As a WACA member I can get tickets for the Lord's test through them - they recently sent out a letter and application. But they are crazy expensive - GBP150 for restricted member's areas and GBP100 for decent general seating (which is what you would pay as well)

I love test cricket but that's just a bit too much
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 7:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I applied every year since 01. Failed each time. Never realised my SCG membership could get me in. Mind you was only paying full membership every Oz ashes year.

Flog them on Gumtree for a nice mark up.
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 9:02 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I would imagine that you are not obliged to buy any tickets - even if selected. It's like that for Wimbledon anyway

As a WACA member I can get tickets for the Lord's test through them - they recently sent out a letter and application. But they are crazy expensive - GBP150 for restricted member's areas and GBP100 for decent general seating (which is what you would pay as well)

I love test cricket but that's just a bit too much
These are about 70/80 quid I think, worth it for a couple of days, just don't want to bid for all five days and end up stuck with them when I can't really afford 5 days.

I applied every year since 01. Failed each time. Never realised my SCG membership could get me in. Mind you was only paying full membership every Oz ashes year.

That's true actually, I could stick them on viagogo or somewhere like that and sell them on Knowing my luck I shan't get picked anyway, but don't try, don't get
Old Dec 26th 2014, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

I see the 'journeyman' has reached 1,000 test runs in 2014 - that must be a record for any journeyman for sure. He'll have a short run as captain as well apparently.

"Steve Smith personified leadership as Australia reached 5-259 at stumps on day one of the Boxing Day Test against India.

Smith continued his career-best form to finish 72 not out, steadying the hosts on a topsy-turvy Friday watched by a crowd of 69,993 at the MCG.

The 25-year-old is on the cusp of a third century in the series and passed 1000 Test runs for the calender year.

Smith displayed grit, refusing to give India the upper hand as wickets tumbled around him.

The rise and rise of Smith over the past year has been underlined by fluent strokeplay, fancy footwork, fidgeting at the crease and a lot of runs."

Last edited by OzTennis; Dec 26th 2014 at 7:26 am.
Old Dec 26th 2014, 7:37 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Smith journeyman, will not captain the team for long, just hit a bit of form....
Allegedly he was selected over Vice-Captain Haddin, to be the long-term replacement for Clarke, keeping in mind Cricket Australia (ad formerly Australian Cricket Board) has a track-record refusing to appoint a keeper as Captain (even if they have seniority as Vice-Captain).
Old Dec 26th 2014, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Allegedly he was selected over Vice-Captain Haddin, to be the long-term replacement for Clarke, keeping in mind Cricket Australia (ad formerly Australian Cricket Board) has a track-record refusing to appoint a keeper as Captain (even if they have seniority as Vice-Captain).
I personally can't see the point in appointing someone near the end of their career - that would be short term. OK, Hadden could have captained for the rest of the India series but they are looking for a longer term replacement for Clarke as well and they've got that.
Old Dec 26th 2014, 9:12 am

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

I personally can't see the point in appointing someone near the end of their career - that would be short term. OK, Hadden could have captained for the rest of the India series but they are looking for a longer term replacement for Clarke as well and they've got that.
My question is though, why should someone be considered over the hill if they are over 40 in any sport (or 30 even) FFS? Personally I think they stuck with Clarke far too long as Captain...smug prick that he is-he should have been replaced long ago (only reason he got it was that Warne blotted his copybook too many times with indiscretions with women) because of far too many reoccurrences of the hamstring injury that would have had anyone else out of the team long ago.
Old Dec 26th 2014, 9:14 am

I see the 'journeyman' has reached 1,000 test runs in 2014 - that must be a record for any journeyman for sure. He'll have a short run as captain as well apparently.

"Steve Smith personified leadership as Australia reached 5-259 at stumps on day one of the Boxing Day Test against India.

Smith continued his career-best form to finish 72 not out, steadying the hosts on a topsy-turvy Friday watched by a crowd of 69,993 at the MCG.

The 25-year-old is on the cusp of a third century in the series and passed 1000 Test runs for the calender year.

Smith displayed grit, refusing to give India the upper hand as wickets tumbled around him.

The rise and rise of Smith over the past year has been underlined by fluent strokeplay, fancy footwork, fidgeting at the crease and a lot of runs."
Give him a while and he will soon fall into the same groove as other batsmen/captains of late....you will see the runs and batting form start to fall.
Old Dec 26th 2014, 9:24 am

As long as there is no more than 10% difference above original price, otherwise it is an offence under Queensland Scalping Legislation.

"What if I sell or buy a ticket at a price greater than 10% of the original ticket price?

The Act contains penalties for reselling and purchasing tickets to events at Stadiums Queensland facilities at a price greater than 10% above the original ticket price.

Sellers of scalped tickets face a maximum fine of 20 penalty units or $2,200
Buyers of scalped tickets face a maximum fine of 5 penalty units or $550

These provisions reinforce the terms and conditions currently attached to many tickets by event organisers and ticket agents, which prohibit the resale of tickets at a premium.

An offence is committed whether the ticket is sold or purchased prior to, or at the event."
Stadiums Queensland - Ticket Scalping

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.