The Cricket Thread

Old Dec 17th 2014, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

India 311/4 (83.0 ov)

Predictions?
Old Dec 17th 2014, 10:02 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
India 311/4 (83.0 ov)

Predictions?
A competitive 5 day test at The Gabba for once, please?

And Steve Smith being a 1 test captain.
Old Dec 17th 2014, 10:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim

Rain forecast....
Old Dec 18th 2014, 12:08 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

The lad had a tough first day didn't he!

Why are Australia's young fast bowlers always breaking down? This has been a theme for them over the last few years and has not affected other teams as much
Old Dec 18th 2014, 12:11 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

A storming day of test cricket yesterday

Why oh why did the WI elect to bowl on that wicket?

AB and Hash have put on 283 for the 4th, have both scored centuries and are still there

Having a team 57/3 and then that team finishing the day on 340/3 shows that the 57/3 meant jack shit!
Old Dec 18th 2014, 12:13 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Beoz
Waaarnniieeee

SHANE Warne hasn’t held back when discussing Mitchell Starc this morning, slamming the Aussie paceman for his lack of presence.
“His body language has to be tougher. He just looks a bit nonchalant. A bit hunched shoulders. He just looks a bit soft,” said Warne during Channel 9’s commentary.
“He has to really stick his chest out and really follow through and give good strong body language.
“... in his follow through, he’s just like, ‘Oh yeah, I’ve bowled a ball I’ll just go back and bowl again.’
“There’s no real presence with Starc. He needs to let the batsmen know he’s here.
“I’d like to see him really own the batsmen and let them know he’s around. He doesn’t have to say anything, it’s just in his presence and his body language.”
Warnie is my favourite commentator. Yes is understandable biased towards Australia but also tells it like it is and calls a spade a spade
Old Dec 18th 2014, 12:17 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Rain forecast....
Mere showers and The Gabba drains well, should get a result.

Originally Posted by Amazulu
The lad had a tough first day didn't he!

Why are Australia's young fast bowlers always breaking down? This has been a theme for them over the last few years and has not affected other teams as much
Yup, it's a worry given all the time spent on supposedly managing workloads and whatnot. Not just the fast guys either ...

India looking on track for 450+ with Dhoni motoring ... They'll need 'em ...
Old Dec 18th 2014, 12:19 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Since when are actual batting averages rankings the same sense as subjective test rankings? (teaching granny how to suck eggs mode) They take the number of runs scored and divide by the number of times out and that gives the actual average for a batsman. I gave you the top 10 batsmen in order of averages. Interestingly the guy who is #1 recently made his debut and has played 12 tests; as said, Smith in his last 14 tests has a similar average.

As I've pointed out before, SA are #1 and they play barely more than half the test matches Australia, England and India do. You also seem to have a greater propensity for avoiding the top test nations but then again playing SA isn't a cash cow like playing other nations so it's understandable.

I don't care how the rankings are calculated. I was referring to the fact that you accept the test batsmen rankings as totally accurate but not those for test teams

Bizarre

SA have played all those teams in recent years so I don't know where you're coming from on this. Who plays who was decided many years ago under the FTP. You can download a copy from cricinfo
Old Dec 18th 2014, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

I don't care how the rankings are calculated. I was referring to the fact that you accept the test batsmen rankings as totally accurate but not those for test teams

Bizarre

SA have played all those teams in recent years so I don't know where you're coming from on this. Who plays who was decided many years ago under the FTP. You can download a copy from cricinfo
I notice you are not saying you were wrong - that Smith isn't a journeyman and hasn't just hit a little bit of form. Is that nearly 300 not out in 3 innings?

Oh ye of little faith - Test almost turned around in a day as well. See posts above - Smith this, Smith that, Smith one test captain, India set for huge total ......

Batting averages ARE accurate; until SA play Australia, England and Sri Lanka a sufficient number of times I don't think the current rankings system is accurate whereas batting stats are.
Old Dec 18th 2014, 7:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Bizarre

Your 1 ranking is based on 27 tests; Australia's on 35 and England 39. Q.E.D.
Old Dec 18th 2014, 8:30 am
Proudly Deplorable

Your 1 ranking is based on 27 tests; Australia's on 35 and England 39. Q.E.D.
All teams play in the same system

It is a 4 year cycle

SA have played England and Australia according to the FTP

Under the system that they all play to, SA are No.1 and deservedly so

End of
Old Dec 18th 2014, 8:32 am
Proudly Deplorable

I notice you are not saying you were wrong - that Smith isn't a journeyman and hasn't just hit a little bit of form. Is that nearly 300 not out in 3 innings?

Oh ye of little faith - Test almost turned around in a day as well. See posts above - Smith this, Smith that, Smith one test captain, India set for huge total ......

Batting averages ARE accurate; until SA play Australia, England and Sri Lanka a sufficient number of times I don't think the current rankings system is accurate whereas batting stats are.
We just won a series in SL
We have played Australia recently - won one, lost one
We beat England in England just before that

Test rankings are accurate - unless you are a bitter Aussie fan
Old Dec 18th 2014, 11:30 am
Mostly Harmless

Pretty even I'd say ... Going to be an interesting Day 3 ...
Old Dec 18th 2014, 12:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty even I'd say ... Going to be an interesting Day 3 ...
I'd give India the edge by a bit. Pretty much based on batting first but who knows.
Old Dec 18th 2014, 12:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

All teams play in the same system

It is a 4 year cycle

SA have played England and Australia according to the FTP

Under the system that they all play to, SA are No.1 and deservedly so

End of
They haven't played the same number of tests in the 4 year cycle - end of story; I repeat 27 vs 35. Before the 2 against Pakistan we'd played 33 and you were 2.

You are putting absolute faith in these rankings and liken batting averages to test rankings for some reason. A person says it is a certain maximum temperature today (which can be proven or otherwise) and Melbourne is the world's most liveable city (which it is according to certain criteria). Batting averages = temperature; test rankings = most liveable city.

SA are deservedly 1 under the system they use, that's true. I'm saying its a fallible system they use.

And still no comment on Smith, just harping on about 1.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.