British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   The Cricket Thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/cricket-thread-848661/)

Amazulu Dec 11th 2014 11:14 pm

The Cricket Thread

Seeing as the other one was closed down :rolleyes:, it's time to have a new one - cricket is too important not to

I thought India played very well yesterday - Kohli really is the real deal. Australia bowled well too

A decent test match overall so far

Alfresco Dec 11th 2014 11:21 pm

Re: The Cricket Thread

Yep and high scoring too. At this stage looks like a draw, but a batting collapse by either side may happen still.

Beoz Dec 12th 2014 12:08 am

Agree. Good test. I hope the Indians take Tests seriously. It looks like they are and they have some excellent talent. It would be a shame for Tests not to be the pinnacle of cricket.

Amazulu Dec 12th 2014 12:19 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 11499847)
Agree. Good test. I hope the Indians take Tests seriously. It looks like they are and they have some excellent talent. It would be a shame for Tests not to be the pinnacle of cricket.

I think a lot of their players do but I don't think that this is the case with their administrators. Their fans have turned away from test cricket too

OzTennis Dec 12th 2014 7:13 am

It's looking like only a draw or Aussie win possible after India didn't have so good a day. I'm pleased to see Steve Smith doing so well and ominous for upcoming Ashes with he and Warner batting particularly well (he of the 'will never be a test cricketer' according to the old cricket thread; the same wise sages laughed at Johnson) and Smith batting so well. For me I'd have Aaron Finch opening with Warner - who cares how test cricket used to be played; Warner's disproved that. The new way is to score at least at 4 to 5 an over to ensure a result other than a draw is likely. Some talking points.

DeadVim Dec 12th 2014 7:51 am

Overnight declaration (just before start of play) and India folding faster than damp cardboard is my prediction.

I hope for a decent day 1 at The Gabba 'cos I'll be there.

On holiday now ... Woo hoo ... :thumbup:

Alfresco Dec 12th 2014 8:35 am

Originally Posted by DeadVim (Post 11500086)
Overnight declaration (just before start of play) and India folding faster than damp cardboard is my prediction.

I hope for a decent day 1 at The Gabba 'cos I'll be there.

On holiday now ... Woo hoo ... :thumbup:

Lucky bum. Enjoy! :thumbup:

Beoz Dec 12th 2014 9:27 am

Originally Posted by OzTennis (Post 11500071)
It's looking like only a draw or Aussie win possible after India didn't have so good a day. I'm pleased to see Steve Smith doing so well and ominous for upcoming Ashes with he and Warner batting particularly well (he of the 'will never be a test cricketer' according to the old cricket thread; the same wise sages laughed at Johnson) and Smith batting so well. For me I'd have Aaron Finch opening with Warner - who cares how test cricket used to be played; Warner's disproved that. The new way is to score at least at 4 to 5 an over to ensure a result other than a draw is likely. Some talking points.

Not a bad idea on Finch. He'll either get a lot or nothing which is pretty much the same as Rogers.

Beoz Dec 12th 2014 10:17 am

Sean Abbott. 6/14.

OzTennis Dec 12th 2014 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 11500152)
Not a bad idea on Finch. He'll either get a lot or nothing which is pretty much the same as Rogers.

He'll get more than Rogers and in much less time.

DeadVim Dec 12th 2014 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 11500104)
Lucky bum. Enjoy! :thumbup:

First extended break I've had for ages, will do! :cool:

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 11500171)
Sean Abbott. 6/14.

Good too see too, also good to see some niggle in this Test Match, 'sporting' normality resumes ..

Beoz Dec 12th 2014 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by OzTennis (Post 11500305)
He'll get more than Rogers and in much less time.

He has started to show some restraint in the 50 over stuff. Perhaps he wants to emulate Warner.

Beoz Dec 13th 2014 2:54 am

Not sure if its because I'm 12 glasses of wine down on a Xmas lunch but this test could go to the wire here. In fact I fancy India. 2 down with 200 to get. Very doable

Alfresco Dec 13th 2014 3:25 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 11500836)
Not sure if its because I'm 12 glasses of wine down on a Xmas lunch but this test could go to the wire here. In fact I fancy India. 2 down with 200 to get. Very doable

Indeed. They are looking pretty good at the mo and may pull it off.

Amazulu Dec 13th 2014 3:32 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 11500836)

Definitely gettable but don't know if they have the bottle to go for it though

If Kohli can hang around though......