Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Cost of living in Northern Melbourne

Cost of living in Northern Melbourne

Old Oct 30th 2017, 8:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in Northern Melbourne

Originally Posted by danr90d
Yeah you're definitely right about the "no price on experience abroad"... I would accept taking a bit less home every month purely for the experience, because it's a once in a lifetime opportunity! As I say, my main concern is not coming too far below the belt if you get me... I want to be able to live a reasonably similar lifestyle as now without having to be concerned about money!

I'm currently in Ipswich living cheap as chips to be honest, got myself an exceptionally cheap place for £425/month all bills and council taxes included. My current salary is £31,000 as an engineer and the proposed is between $70,000 (2.26x greater) and $75,000 (2.42x greater) starting for a project engineer, I'm just waiting for the official offer to come through.

It's good to know that from experience, you are coming out on top though! I think that based on this thread, I won't exactly be struggling, and with ironing out a few of my figures, I should live very comfortably there!
From those figures you sound like you graduated in the last 5 years so it sounds like they are paying you the going rate. I reckon you may be able to squeeze a little more out of them.

I did come from the UK's most expensive place to Australia's most expensive (housing wise anyway) so its slightly different, but I reckon its definately worth a shot at that price.

Construction (especially infrastructure) is booming on the east coast so there's always scope to grow.
Old Oct 30th 2017, 11:18 am
Just Joined

danr90d is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of living in Northern Melbourne

Originally Posted by Beoz
From those figures you sound like you graduated in the last 5 years so it sounds like they are paying you the going rate. I reckon you may be able to squeeze a little more out of them.

I did come from the UK's most expensive place to Australia's most expensive (housing wise anyway) so its slightly different, but I reckon its definately worth a shot at that price.

Construction (especially infrastructure) is booming on the east coast so there's always scope to grow.
Yeah, I graduated back in 2014 so I have just over 3 years professional experience, so I am a spring chicken! Once the offer comes through officially, I'll start negotiating properly with them. Whilst an offer of a company car is unlikely, it is not completely off the table.

You're definitely right about the scope to grow, they have given me relatively good assurances that the opportunity to grow within their business is not only there, but that those with a lot of ambition and drive can rise very quickly!