Reload this Page >

Cost of living in Northern Melbourne

Cost of living in Northern Melbourne

Old Oct 28th 2017, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

danr90d is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of living in Northern Melbourne

Hi all,

I've been made an offer to come over to Melbourne as a Project Engineer for a construction company, and although I have tallied up an approximation of the cost of living, I'm wondering if someone can shed light on it based on their experiences please?

I'd be a single guy moving over and I've allowed for the following (after tax):

Rent - $1200/month (either a studio, or house sharing, which would obviously be less)
Utilities - $170/month
Internet - $70/month
Food - Approximately $200/week, $867/month
Car finance - $400/month
Car insurance - $200/month
Fuel - Assuming 20,000 miles a year, roughly $200/month

Total - $3107/month

I know the car details are very rough, but I'm just looking for an indication at the moment. The food considers majority cooking at home, with the odd meal out, no more than an average of once a week.

I've generally took what I think to be a 'worst case' approach in my figures. Is this estimate too high/too low? Please pen in your thoughts!
Old Oct 28th 2017, 11:49 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in Northern Melbourne

Originally Posted by danr90d
Hi all,

I've been made an offer to come over to Melbourne as a Project Engineer for a construction company, and although I have tallied up an approximation of the cost of living, I'm wondering if someone can shed light on it based on their experiences please?

Rent - $1200/month (either a studio, or house sharing, which would obviously be less)
Utilities - $170/month
Internet - $70/month
Car finance - $400/month

Total - $3107/month

I know the car details are very rough, but I'm just looking for an indication at the moment. The food considers majority cooking at home, with the odd meal out, no more than an average of once a week.

I've generally took what I think to be a 'worst case' approach in my figures. Is this estimate too high/too low? Please pen in your thoughts!
Assume a higher number for the rental, and take into account that most places come unfurnished, so you'd need furniture. On the plus side, you can get more for your money if smart. Take a look at www.realestate.com.au for an idea. If you look at a house share then numbers can be lower. The 'typical' UK house is the 3 bed semi, which in Aus is the 4 bed, 2 bath, detached. As you move towards the centre the price jumps and the size gets much smaller, so for house share outer suburbs is better.
Old Oct 28th 2017, 11:54 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Utilities - $170/month
Internet - $70/month
Car finance - $400/month

Total - $3107/month

I'm not in Melbourne, but I would think your fuel costs are too low for 20,000 miles (approx. 32000 km's) - I'd probably add another $100 to that. Also, your insurance seems way too high. Not driving new cars here, but have a P plater on one car, and that is only $400 for the year fully comp.
Old Oct 29th 2017, 7:55 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by GarryP
Assume a higher number for the rental, and take into account that most places come unfurnished, so you'd need furniture. On the plus side, you can get more for your money if smart. Take a look at www.realestate.com.au for an idea. If you look at a house share then numbers can be lower. The 'typical' UK house is the 3 bed semi, which in Aus is the 4 bed, 2 bath, detached. As you move towards the centre the price jumps and the size gets much smaller, so for house share outer suburbs is better.
Thank you for your response! You're definitely right about the rent... I was assuming $300pw and instead of working it out yearly and dividing by 12, I worked it out 4-weekly! D'oh! Also, for $300pw, you can get naff all on that realestate site...

Realistically, I would probably share with someone else to be honest. It'll work out cheaper, and as a newbie to Aus, is a good way to meet people, and find out about the Melbourne hot spots! Sharehouses are looking quite reasonable on flatmates.com.au as well, as you can get quite a good property for $300pw sharing.
Old Oct 29th 2017, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your response! You're definitely right about the rent... I was assuming $300pw and instead of working it out yearly and dividing by 12, I worked it out 4-weekly! D'oh! Also, for $300pw, you can get naff all on that realestate site...

Realistically, I would probably share with someone else to be honest. It'll work out cheaper, and as a newbie to Aus, is a good way to meet people, and find out about the Melbourne hot spots! Sharehouses are looking quite reasonable on flatmates.com.au as well, as you can get quite a good property for $300pw sharing.
Absolutely. Share with someone as a starting point for the reasons you suggest.

As I always say when this question is asked. Its not about what things cost because exchange rate is irrelevent, and people tend to do the sums on that. Its all about how much you earn.

Have a look at this site. Its not 100% accurate but it give a good indication. If you drill down too deeply into it, it will send you a bit nuts.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/comparison.jsp
Old Oct 29th 2017, 10:50 am
Just Joined

Yeah, you are definitely right about the drilling down too deeply, I'm sending myself crackers! I used a site similar to Numbeo (expatistan?) to do my calculations, and I keep going over and over it in my head.

The main reasoning is that although the main allure of the job is the chance to experience Australia, I just want to make sure I'm not getting a raw deal in terms of salary, as I don't want to be much worse off than I am currently!

The key thing for me is the car and accommodation in all honesty... I get a company car as part of my package here in the UK, and I'm fortunate enough to have not had to pay for my own car as of yet, so moving to this company is the first time I'll have to buy my own car, which is pretty daunting for me.

Your advice is much appreciated though, I'll try and not overthink it!
Old Oct 29th 2017, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, you are definitely right about the drilling down too deeply, I'm sending myself crackers! I used a site similar to Numbeo (expatistan?) to do my calculations, and I keep going over and over it in my head.

The main reasoning is that although the main allure of the job is the chance to experience Australia, I just want to make sure I'm not getting a raw deal in terms of salary, as I don't want to be much worse off than I am currently!

The key thing for me is the car and accommodation in all honesty... I get a company car as part of my package here in the UK, and I'm fortunate enough to have not had to pay for my own car as of yet, so moving to this company is the first time I'll have to buy my own car, which is pretty daunting for me.

This should be pretty easy to figure out.

Where do you live now and what is your salary?

What is your proposed salary in Melbourne?

I had a company car in the Uk (London). I went for the 2.2 multiplier when I moved (no company car in Oz) and I came out ahead.

By that I mean I had more as a proportion of my salary left in the bank at the end of the month in Oz.

I always believe the minimum you should accept is a 2x multiplier, a company car throws a curve ball, but at the end of the day, you can get a decent car for $10,000, one off cost then about $1200 on top for the added extras per year. For your type of salary it should hardly be worth the quibble.

There is no price you can put on experience abroad.
Old Oct 30th 2017, 2:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

If you live in close to the CBD Melbourne is one of the few places in Australia where you dont "have" to own a car.

It's my ambition to not own a car.... I'm in the Northern burbs and would aim to use services like go get, or car next door, which are well serviced with locations everywhere, some available at as low as 4 dollars per hour..... On the rare occasion, I would have to use one or for holidays fly then hire one. It's a very viable option here and potentially could save you at upto 6k per annum... you could rent a much nicer place/better location for that, a trade-off very much worth considering IMO. Uber is also super cheap here... We use it a lot, even with our car as it's not worth driving into the city from our location 8ks from the CBD..... costs 20 bucks to get home at 2AM and we tram or train it in.

I do own a camper van though.

I worked out that just on rego and insurance for my car, I could hire a "Car next door" for 60 days. I doubt I'd use a car for that period of time for leisure at least. I'm about to retire and once I don't need a car to travel to my night shift, which necessitates a vehicle at present, then I'm getting rid of it.

BTW the trams run every 4 mins at peak time here.... 6-8 mins the rest of the day on our local route.... with the longest wait being circa 20 mins after 10pm or before 6.30am.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Oct 30th 2017 at 2:39 am.
Old Oct 30th 2017, 2:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
If you live in close to the CBD Melbourne is one of the few places in Australia where you dont "have" to own a car.

It's my ambition to not own a car.... I'm in the Northern burbs and would aim to use services like go get, or car next door, which are well serviced with locations everywhere, some available at as low as 4 dollars per hour..... On the rare occasion, I would have to use one or for holidays fly then hire one. It's a very viable option here and potentially could save you at upto 6k per annum... you could rent a much nicer place/better location for that, a trade-off very much worth considering IMO. Uber is also super cheap here... We use it a lot, even with our car as it's not worth driving into the city from our location 8ks from the CBD..... costs 20 bucks to get home at 2AM and we tram or train it in.

I do own a camper van though.

I worked out that just on rego and insurance for my car, I could hire a "Car next door" for 60 days.
Likewise here (yet in Sydney). We could do away with a car. I did the calcs once and it works out cheaper per year if your car use is weekend only and your hire.

The one thing that gets you is spontaneity. Sometime the rental is not available. Sometimes like right now you might say "its hot, I need a dip in the ocean" and that might be a 10 minute drive away so the car deals with that.
Old Oct 30th 2017, 3:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Same here in Perth. Living close to the centre, went the first two years car free. Hardly missed it at all. Sometimes inconvenient if visiting in the suburbs of course but cabs proved their worth, especially after a few drinks. Yes quicker to get to the beach, but at times find parking next to impossible anyway, especially on weekends. Hence on those occasions a train would have served better.I would go back to the freedom of being car free tomorrow if more feasible. But easier at the moment for partner due to work. We always hired when needed one in times past. Never owned a car in London nor in Paris/Amsterdam/ Denmark.
Old Oct 30th 2017, 3:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, just putting across the point that possibly location beats owning a car, especially if one has a company car.

I think I'd choose location personally. Uber is great for spontaneity, I've had them turn up in less than 90 seconds heaps of times. Uber is great for Drinkers
Old Oct 30th 2017, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

If you need a car mainly for work, i.e. to get from one building site to another during working hours or doing running around for your employer, then you'll find that a fair whack of your car expenses will be tax-deductible. i.e. Those expenses come off your taxable income therefore reducing the amount of tax you need to pay.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/I...penses/?page=3

Last edited by NickyC; Oct 30th 2017 at 3:40 am.
Old Oct 30th 2017, 3:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by NickyC
If you need a car mainly for work, i.e. to get from one building site to another during working hours or doing running around for your employer, then you'll find that a fair whack of your car expenses will be tax-deductible. i.e. Those expenses come off your taxable income therefore reducing the amount of tax you need to pay.

That is a very good point. From memory the company car option in the UK was no where as near opportunistic and profitable as the work related write offs are in Australia.
Old Oct 30th 2017, 8:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Beoz
This should be pretty easy to figure out.

Where do you live now and what is your salary?

What is your proposed salary in Melbourne?

I had a company car in the Uk (London). I went for the 2.2 multiplier when I moved (no company car in Oz) and I came out ahead.

By that I mean I had more as a proportion of my salary left in the bank at the end of the month in Oz.

I always believe the minimum you should accept is a 2x multiplier, a company car throws a curve ball, but at the end of the day, you can get a decent car for $10,000, one off cost then about $1200 on top for the added extras per year. For your type of salary it should hardly be worth the quibble.

There is no price you can put on experience abroad.
Yeah you're definitely right about the "no price on experience abroad"... I would accept taking a bit less home every month purely for the experience, because it's a once in a lifetime opportunity! As I say, my main concern is not coming too far below the belt if you get me... I want to be able to live a reasonably similar lifestyle as now without having to be concerned about money!

I'm currently in Ipswich living cheap as chips to be honest, got myself an exceptionally cheap place for £425/month all bills and council taxes included. My current salary is £31,000 as an engineer and the proposed is between $70,000 (2.26x greater) and $75,000 (2.42x greater) starting for a project engineer, I'm just waiting for the official offer to come through.

It's good to know that from experience, you are coming out on top though! I think that based on this thread, I won't exactly be struggling, and with ironing out a few of my figures, I should live very comfortably there!
Old Oct 30th 2017, 8:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by NickyC

Thank you, that's a very interesting point! I wasn't aware of that!

I haven't gotten into the details of reclaimable fuel, etc yet, but I do know that my sites will be remote locations that will require your own car, so it's good to know that there is tax relief available.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.