Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Clouded by greed or just plain stupid?

Clouded by greed or just plain stupid?

Old May 14th 2007, 9:31 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Clouded by greed or just plain stupid?

Queenslanders are paying $4.5 million each year to Nigerian scamsters, see here.

Why? They are still paying out even after being contacted by police and told they are being scammed.

These people are contacted out of the blue by complete strangers and asked to deposit money into foreign bank accounts so that they can receive money back as a reward for helping the scammers get round Nigerian financial regulations. In other words, they're helping people to break the law. Apparantly a lot of the "victims" are professional people so are they really so blinded by greed that they can't see the blinking obvious?

Jane
Old May 14th 2007, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clouded by greed or just plain stupid?

Originally Posted by JaneandJim
Queenslanders are paying $4.5 million each year to Nigerian scamsters, see here.

Why? They are still paying out even after being contacted by police and told they are being scammed.

These people are contacted out of the blue by complete strangers and asked to deposit money into foreign bank accounts so that they can receive money back as a reward for helping the scammers get round Nigerian financial regulations. In other words, they're helping people to break the law. Apparantly a lot of the "victims" are professional people so are they really so blinded by greed that they can't see the blinking obvious?

Jane
Bizarre isn't it! I know it's a rip off and the con-artists are obviously scum, but I can't help thinking that the 'victims' deserve it - what idiot just sends money because of an email?! Honestly!
Old May 14th 2007, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JaneandJim

Jane
Both.

I had a great deal of difficulty convincing a (pretty sceptical at the best of times) chap that it was all a con. He thought he was onto a winner LOL.

And this was before the internet .......

WW
Old May 14th 2007, 10:29 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of it is that they are too naive to understand that anyone would do something dishonest. I worked with a lovely man in Canada who got scammed by one of these type of things. He's a PhD for heaven's sake but he is also an honest, God fearing man who never believed for a moment that anyone would lie about being in need. The email he got was from a "woman who's husband had been killed by the military and she was now destitute". My co-worker sent her his bank details and a copy of his passport and copies of his credit cards. When he found the scammers had cleaned him out he was incredulous. He was sure they would pay him back because the email said they would.
It's not always greed or stupidity. Sometimes it's just that the scammers are preying on vulnerable and naive people.
Old May 14th 2007, 10:52 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
A lot of it is that they are too naive to understand that anyone would do something dishonest. I worked with a lovely man in Canada who got scammed by one of these type of things. He's a PhD for heaven's sake but he is also an honest, God fearing man who never believed for a moment that anyone would lie about being in need. The email he got was from a "woman who's husband had been killed by the military and she was now destitute". My co-worker sent her his bank details and a copy of his passport and copies of his credit cards. When he found the scammers had cleaned him out he was incredulous. He was sure they would pay him back because the email said they would.
It's not always greed or stupidity. Sometimes it's just that the scammers are preying on vulnerable and naive people.
google for the anti scammers, I think its called 419 or something... some of the stories are amazing. getting these guys to tattoo themselves and stuff isa bit vicious for my tastes.

http://www.419eater.com/ muuaahahah
Old May 14th 2007, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

I get quite a lot of these emails and just delete them as I know they are a scam. Some people are a lot more niaive or stupid and fall for the scam though.
Old May 14th 2007, 11:25 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
He's a PhD for heaven's sake but he is also an honest, God fearing man who never believed for a moment that anyone would lie about being in need.
You don't have to be stupid to do something stupid. I'm an honest, God-fearng woman but I would never ever send a complete stranger copies of my credit cards.

Jane
Old May 14th 2007, 11:38 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
google for the anti scammers, I think its called 419 or something... some of the stories are amazing. getting these guys to tattoo themselves and stuff isa bit vicious for my tastes.

http://www.419eater.com/ muuaahahah
Here's another great 419 scam baiting website...

http://www.whatsthebloodypoint.com/

S