Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Questions regarding the end of life call parent.

Questions regarding the end of life call parent.

Old Oct 26th 2017, 6:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Questions regarding the end of life call parent.

2 night ago I had a dream I would need to go to UK for The Call. Stuck in my mind , would not go away.

An hour ago my son rings, 87 year old parent, fit as a fiddle, mentally sharp as a sword, has lung and kidney cancer, straight from hospital to a home. I dont even know yet Palliative care I imagine. Thats how recent this all is.

BUT, my youngest sons AU passport expired 2 weeks ago, and he has to be back in AU for uni exams 19 nov ( his are late exams due to medical placement )

BUT he has a current Brit passport.

Can he leave Australia on brit passport, enter UK and hope the AU one arrives to let him back into aus in a few weeks?

Any advice for this situation much appreciated.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions regarding the end of life call parent.

Probably would not get out of Australia on the Brit passport as they have no record of him being here on the Brit. Best fast track the Aussie one.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 10:27 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by jad n rich
2 night ago I had a dream I would need to go to UK for The Call. Stuck in my mind , would not go away.

An hour ago my son rings, 87 year old parent, fit as a fiddle, mentally sharp as a sword, has lung and kidney cancer, straight from hospital to a home. I dont even know yet Palliative care I imagine. Thats how recent this all is.

BUT, my youngest sons AU passport expired 2 weeks ago, and he has to be back in AU for uni exams 19 nov ( his are late exams due to medical placement )

BUT he has a current Brit passport.

Can he leave Australia on brit passport, enter UK and hope the AU one arrives to let him back into aus in a few weeks?

Any advice for this situation much appreciated.
First. I am really sorry to read this for you all. So blimmin' tough I know.

Second. I have pinged BiP to see if he knows one way or another.

Third. Shall I tweak the thread title to reflect the passport issue?
Old Oct 26th 2017, 10:46 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Two options:

1. Urgent passport application for a renewal. Two business days processing time but this does not include postage times. The service will attract an additional fee but you should be able to get it waived on compassionate grounds.

https://www.passports.gov.au/urgenta...s/default.aspx

2. Fly with the British passport but carry the expired Australian passport. DIBP won't like it but it's doable. You might get a ticking-off when you leave Australia but they can't stop you. Coming back the airline is likely going to want to call DIBP for an 'uplift' as your son won't hold or be eligible for an Australian visa. If he has his Australian passport to hand then this should be relatively simple. Just make sure you arrive at the airport with plenty of time to spare.

Option 1 is preferable in terms of following proper procedure and it will save you additional time/hassle at the airport but if you want to fly in less than a week then you probably will want to opt for Option 2.
Old Oct 27th 2017, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Two options:

1. Urgent passport application for a renewal. Two business days processing time but this does not include postage times. The service will attract an additional fee but you should be able to get it waived on compassionate grounds.

https://www.passports.gov.au/urgenta...s/default.aspx

2. Fly with the British passport but carry the expired Australian passport. DIBP won't like it but it's doable. You might get a ticking-off when you leave Australia but they can't stop you. Coming back the airline is likely going to want to call DIBP for an 'uplift' as your son won't hold or be eligible for an Australian visa. If he has his Australian passport to hand then this should be relatively simple. Just make sure you arrive at the airport with plenty of time to spare.

Option 1 is preferable in terms of following proper procedure and it will save you additional time/hassle at the airport but if you want to fly in less than a week then you probably will want to opt for Option 2.

Thanks to the lovely people who replied.

We decided to wait a week and go for the emergency passport option, son going into Melbourne on Monday, fly the following Monday.

Going via Hong Kong, so fairly direct but a 16 hour layover on way over, last min flights with premium economy seats were hard as hell to find. We have a virgin aus/cathay pacific/virgin atlantic combo but all on one ticket.

I have absolutely no idea how you walk out the hospital room for the last time, what do you say/do. I feel bad too, for them, saying goodbye over and over with every visitor.
Old Oct 28th 2017, 4:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to hear that J&R it’s goung to be a tough few weeks for you.

As for what to say! I’ve no idea. Unless you’re planning to hang around until you don’t have to say anything, I’m more of a cheery “See ya later” gal and then bawl buckets when I’m on my own. You will get more of an idea how things are predicted to pan out once you get there then you can make decisions about the best way to proceed. Hang in!
Old Oct 29th 2017, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by quoll
So sorry to hear that J&R it’s goung to be a tough few weeks for you.

As for what to say! I’ve no idea. Unless you’re planning to hang around until you don’t have to say anything, I’m more of a cheery “See ya later” gal and then bawl buckets when I’m on my own. You will get more of an idea how things are predicted to pan out once you get there then you can make decisions about the best way to proceed. Hang in!
Wegot the news thursday, booked tickets for the 7th , the earliest possible with passport situation, but he died a few hours later. Saturday 130 pm. It seems unlikely now we will even make the funeral. He was mentally as sharp as a young person, he had seen 2 close relatives die of lung disease. He knew the horror ahead. Said to my brother i am flipping knackered need a kip and just let go.
Old Oct 29th 2017, 8:56 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Wegot the news thursday, booked tickets for the 7th , the earliest possible with passport situation, but he died a few hours later. Saturday 130 pm. It seems unlikely now we will even make the funeral. He was mentally as sharp as a young person, he had seen 2 close relatives die of lung disease. He knew the horror ahead. Said to my brother i am flipping knackered need a kip and just let go.
Very sorry to hear that
Old Oct 29th 2017, 9:30 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

We got the news thursday, booked tickets for the 7th , the earliest possible with passport situation, but he died a few hours later. Saturday 130 pm.
I am so sorry to read this Jad n Rich. Incredibly sad all round and some tough days ahead.

Obviously be kind to yourself. If you fancy, share a bit about him here . Sometimes it helps a little .

If this is the UK you may be in with a shot of getting back for his final farewell as these things can take a few weeks.
If not, then plan your own right where you are.

Have a hug from me.
Old Oct 29th 2017, 9:40 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry for your loss. Hopefully you can make it in time for the funeral.
Old Oct 29th 2017, 10:59 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Huge sympathies Jad. Same scenario with my mother in tetms of fit as a flea and then gone with no time to get there. Tough as hell for survivors but perfect for the 'healthy' parent. No having to deal with the hell of treatment, fuss and sad family. Get them to hold off on the funeral until you all get there. It helps.
Old Oct 30th 2017, 2:26 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to read this Jad xx
Old Oct 30th 2017, 10:41 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry JnR. It's an awful feeling. I hope you can make it to the funeral.

Sending many hugs to you

Xx
Old Oct 30th 2017, 9:43 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Probably would not get out of Australia on the Brit passport as they have no record of him being here on the Brit. Best fast track the Aussie one.
We found ourselves in the same situation a couple of years ago. Our daughter simply took her recently expired passport with her and explained the reason for travel. Coming back was the same thing, someone must have noted it on a file because they were very sympathetic upon our return.
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear, so sorry J&R. Sympathy to you and your family. It’s a tough time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.