Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Cheapest private health insurance?

Cheapest private health insurance?

Old Sep 30th 2009, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

looky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nice
Default Re: Cheapest private health insurance?

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You can, but it doesn't help with the Medicare Levy Surcharge.

In some cases it may be best to get a cheap Hospital plan, and a separate company for Dental cover.
As above, read my post in context with the OP's post.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 1:06 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by looky
As above, read my post in context with the OP's post.
I read it in context of the OP saying this:
Originally Posted by cookiestar
To be honest, hospital cover isn't something I really want, but dental is.
Hence why I said:
In some cases it may be best to get a cheap Hospital plan, and a separate company for Dental cover.

Old Sep 30th 2009, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

looky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I read it in context of the OP saying this:

Hence why I said:
In regards to your post
You can, but it doesn't help with the Medicare Levy Surcharge.
which is exactly what I meant to read in context and read all posts before replying. I have already quoted in reply to another poster before you. She wouldn't be able to get a private health insurance without a hospital cover for her purpose which is to be exempted from medicare levy.

Your 2nd line quoted above has nothing to do with me and hence not what I was referring to. Please read the entire thread before making further comments.

Yours sincerely,
Pissed off poster of BE who is not going to bother replying to career nick pickers anymore.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 1:39 pm
ABCDiamond

which is exactly what I meant to read in context and read all posts before replying.
Not everyone reads ALL posts, and I have not seen anywhere that says that we MUST do so before replying....

When you laugh at someone and make a statement that may not be 100% clear
LOL you can't have private health insurance without hospital cover
people may not always read it the way you intend it.

At least two of us have done so, maybe more ?
I think it is fair that those other readers, who may have read it the same way, get the opportunity to see the actual facts, and not go away thinking that "you can't have private health insurance without hospital cover"

Old Oct 1st 2009, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Try GMHBA - I did a fair bit of research and decided to go with them as they aren't expensive and offer good value for your money.
www.gmhba.com.au

Originally Posted by cookiestar
New job, need to avoid paying the extra 1% Medicare levy, so I'm looking to see who you guys recommend as the best value/cheapest private insurer. Is Medibank one of the best value or should I be looking elsewhere? This is for a healthy couple in their 30s with no kids.

If the insurance could have dental and optical cover too that would be "bonza"
Old Oct 1st 2009, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Just choose one company you feel comfortable with and take its lowest level of hospital cover (cheapest), choose to pay excess.
If you are a "family", then make sure that your excess does not exceed $1,000 - otherwise the policy does not qualify for exemption from the Medicare levy surcharge.

[For "singles", the excess must not exceed $500.]
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 12:11 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Yours sincerely,
Pissed off poster of BE who is not going to bother replying to career nick pickers anymore.
I think you'll find that the correct term is "Nit Picker".

Cheers

Steve
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

Thanks. We've found a good policy with NIB. Anyone use them and have any feedback?
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Luma
Try GMHBA - I did a fair bit of research and decided to go with them as they aren't expensive and offer good value for your money.
www.gmhba.com.au
We are with GMHBA too for the same reason.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 12:35 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

LOL you can't have private health insurance without hospital cover.
That's not true. You can get just the extras if you want to.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 12:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
We changed recently from MBF - they comprehensively screwed up quite a few claims, and our hospital told us they have more trouble with them than anyone else.

We are now with HCF.

We are with HCF as well, cant really complain, 205 bucks per month family cover including some extras. Like optical etc, . we've opted for the 70 pct cover and 500 dollar excess. I was really happy with it when I had my Hernia op. As I was able to schedule the op for when the World Cup was on, and got the surgeon to sign a certificate for 4 weeks of work.

Buys peace of mind as far as i'm concerned. There is a lot of fine print to go through though and cut offs all over the place, except for hospital stays, which I guess is the most important.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 2:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

At the moment, I don't think we earn enough to come into the medicare levy bracket but this may very well depend on how many unsociable shifts I do this year. What are the penalties & when are they applied if you don't have private insurance & it turns out that you should have had? Is it all linked to your end of year tax assessment?
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 2:42 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
At the moment, I don't think we earn enough to come into the medicare levy bracket but this may very well depend on how many unsociable shifts I do this year. What are the penalties & when are they applied if you don't have private insurance & it turns out that you should have had? Is it all linked to your end of year tax assessment?
When you do your taxes at the end of the year they want to know how many days you did or didn't have private health care.

So if it turns out you did need private cover but you only took it out for the last month of the tax year, then I believe you'll be taxed on the 11 months that you didn't have private health.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 2:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
When you do your taxes at the end of the year they want to know how many days you did or didn't have private health care.

So if it turns out you did need private cover but you only took it out for the last month of the tax year, then I believe you'll be taxed on the 11 months that you didn't have private health.
Thanks!
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 3:25 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by comet555

That is correct, there were many people that waited till the last couple of weeks before taking out a policy, to save money.... but then found they only got the surcharge exemption for those two weeks that they had the cover !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.