Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Centrelink say I am not entitled to payment?

Centrelink say I am not entitled to payment?

Old Oct 26th 2010, 12:40 am
Just Joined

michaelt31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Centrelink say I am not entitled to payment?

Hello,
Just wondered has anyone else been in this position? My husband and I have been living in Australia for two years now, and both of us have been working up until two months ago, then my husband was let go from his job here. I am still working part time. We do have a house back home which we declared to centrelink and have it rented out which equates to approximately $500 rental income per month, so in total our income now per week is roughly about $380, (which is my wages and our rental income combined). My husband recently filled out the forms for Centrelink payment, but has been refused based on the fact that we own a property overseas. The problem is that the property had previously been up for sale and we had problems selling it due to the recession, we explained all of this to Centrelink but to no avail. I don't really get this at all, what do people out there think? Does this rule also apply if you are Australian and own a house here and then lose your job, are you forced to sell your house to support yourself? Surely this can't be right? We are really struggling financially and my husband is registered with job agencies and is still seeking employment, but we were just hoping Centrelink could have helped us in the meantime as we have children too, and it is a huge worry.
Thanks
Old Oct 26th 2010, 12:56 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Centrelink say I am not entitled to payment?

There's an asset test as well as an income test for many Centerlink benefits, see:

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...ts/pay_iat.htm
Old Oct 26th 2010, 1:02 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by renth
There's an asset test as well as an income test for many Centerlink benefits, see:

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...ts/pay_iat.htm
I'm not sure about your situation but I know you can appeal if you feel they have not taken your case seriously.
Also, you may have been given the wrong forms or not been told you can apply for other things
It pays to make an appt with the centerlink counsellor/social worker person who is there about once a week, maybe more. They can advocate on your behalf if you're not getting any help.
There should be some Family tax benefit I would have thought.. your house in the UK is counted as income... that's why they're not playing ball.
If you're unemployed you might be able to go on Newstart ... again judged on income and savings.

Wendy might be able to help you as she's a C'link expert.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 1:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Wendy might be able to help you as she's a C'link expert.

Only with things that I have claimed unfortunately (well not for me) I haven't claimed any benefits from Centrelink other than FTB (which I no longer qualify for), so really not sure about it at all.

I would suggest the same as you, get down to an office and explain the situation. See what help and advice they can give

Out of interest michaelt31 - what does your OH do for a living? you never know someone could know someone
Old Oct 26th 2010, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Where in Australia are you living? Some places seem to be booming more than others, so would you consider a move?

If not then you might have to bite the bullet and sell the property in England for what price it will sell for.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 1:52 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michaelt31
Hello,
Just wondered has anyone else been in this position? My husband and I have been living in Australia for two years now, and both of us have been working up until two months ago, then my husband was let go from his job here. I am still working part time. We do have a house back home which we declared to centrelink and have it rented out which equates to approximately $500 rental income per month, so in total our income now per week is roughly about $380, (which is my wages and our rental income combined). My husband recently filled out the forms for Centrelink payment, but has been refused based on the fact that we own a property overseas. The problem is that the property had previously been up for sale and we had problems selling it due to the recession, we explained all of this to Centrelink but to no avail. I don't really get this at all, what do people out there think? Does this rule also apply if you are Australian and own a house here and then lose your job, are you forced to sell your house to support yourself? Surely this can't be right? We are really struggling financially and my husband is registered with job agencies and is still seeking employment, but we were just hoping Centrelink could have helped us in the meantime as we have children too, and it is a huge worry.
Thanks
Yes, you could be forced to sell your home and no you are not necessarily entitled to Centrelink benefits. My husband lost his job 3 months after we moved into our house and because I work and we owned a house we got nothing from them. We were expected to sell our home and live on my income.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 5:18 am
Just Joined

michaelt31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your replies. Then does it mean there is no kind of a dole system here unless you do not own a house. How do people who have bought a house here fair out if they both suddenly lose a job and can't afford the mortgage? Do they sell their house and rent a house? I was under the impression once you are here two years you would be entitled to help in the event of something like this happening. Anyway thank you to everyone that has contributed to my post.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 6:29 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies. Then does it mean there is no kind of a dole system here unless you do not own a house. How do people who have bought a house here fair out if they both suddenly lose a job and can't afford the mortgage? Do they sell their house and rent a house? I was under the impression once you are here two years you would be entitled to help in the event of something like this happening. Anyway thank you to everyone that has contributed to my post.
Thats about it. They are expected to sell the house and live on the proceeds. Being in Aus on PR for 2 years just means you're entitled to the same as everyone else - state help once you've used up your own resources.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 6:53 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I lost my job 4 months ago and didn't go to Centrelink thinking I would be able to claim nothing due to assets.

At a jobs expo I spoke to a lady from Centrelink about general methods of seeking employment and she asked if I had signed on with them.

I explained no because I was purchasing my home here (don't have any other property) and had 2 sons paying a little rent.

She told me off and insisted I went to Centrelink as soon as possible as neither of those things are classed as income or assets. She said don't worry about it as if you don't qualify nothing has been lost.

Consequently I did sign on to Newstart and am able to claim the maximum amount which is $424 per fortnight.

The amount is of course a pittance but it sure helps. We get by because we have been able to freeze our mortgage.

Missus works 1 day a week normally but when she covered for illness and worked full time for a few weeks my Newstart allowance was reduced.

The Newstart allowance has no bearing on your individual financial needs. It's seems to be an arbitrary amount calculated by government I suppose.

Are your children of an age that allows you to claim Family Tax Benefit? If so you may also be able to claim something for them toward accommodation. My mate is in the same boat but is renting and Centrelink pay a portion of the rent for his children.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

The guys who are u8nemployed, we are crying out for people in WA for the mining industry. Why not move to where the jobs are? For Michael, you can have your own home, but you cant have a couple of hundred grand sat in a offshore investment property - which is effectivly what it is and expect dole. It is no different to have the money in a swiss bank account and expecting dole.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 10:50 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
The guys who are u8nemployed, we are crying out for people in WA for the mining industry
Thanks for the info mate.

I've been offered 2 mining jobs here and 1 in SA but they are all new start ups "sometime" next year so not holding my breath on those. WA is on my list but farther down the page just for the moment.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 11:56 am
ABCDiamond

Does this rule also apply if you are Australian and own a house here and then lose your job, are you forced to sell your house to support yourself? Surely this can't be right?
A house that is owned by a Centrelink claimant, but not being lived in, no matter where it is, is classed as an asset, and taken into account in the asset test.

A house that you are living in, is exempt from Centrelink inclusion, no matter what its value.

Old Oct 26th 2010, 12:17 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
I lost my job 4 months ago and didn't go to Centrelink thinking I would be able to claim nothing due to assets.

At a jobs expo I spoke to a lady from Centrelink about general methods of seeking employment and she asked if I had signed on with them.

I explained no because I was purchasing my home here (don't have any other property) and had 2 sons paying a little rent.

She told me off and insisted I went to Centrelink as soon as possible as neither of those things are classed as income or assets. She said don't worry about it as if you don't qualify nothing has been lost.

Consequently I did sign on to Newstart and am able to claim the maximum amount which is $424 per fortnight.

The amount is of course a pittance but it sure helps. We get by because we have been able to freeze our mortgage.

Missus works 1 day a week normally but when she covered for illness and worked full time for a few weeks my Newstart allowance was reduced.

The Newstart allowance has no bearing on your individual financial needs. It's seems to be an arbitrary amount calculated by government I suppose.

Are your children of an age that allows you to claim Family Tax Benefit? If so you may also be able to claim something for them toward accommodation. My mate is in the same boat but is renting and Centrelink pay a portion of the rent for his children.
Sorry to hear that Bix, hope something comes along real soon.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 12:53 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix

Sorry to hear that Bix, hope your situation improves quickly xx
Old Oct 26th 2010, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Thanks for the info mate.

I've been offered 2 mining jobs here and 1 in SA but they are all new start ups "sometime" next year so not holding my breath on those. WA is on my list but farther down the page just for the moment.
What do you do Bix? I work for a construction company, and we do work at Prominent Hill mine...I'll 'karma' you the website, take a look at the career section, there may be something on there suitable you never know

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.