Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Bye bye Liberal Government..... will you ever learn.

Bye bye Liberal Government..... will you ever learn.

Old Mar 6th 2017, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bye bye Liberal Government..... will you ever learn.

Originally Posted by GarryP
Oh, did you utter something?

In any case, I think I kind of comprehensively answered that strawman in the first thing I posted.

Here's the thing - a strategic answer to the issue doesn't involve tinkering - it addresses the underlying issues. You won't even face the underlying issue (treating housing as an investment vehicle) - so you can't get at a strategic answer (which has to be at the federal level).
Looks like the AMP chief economist agrees.

Well Victorians, your dumb arse Labor government just screwed over your first home buyers.

Existing property owners and investors should be rejoicing. I might buy myself an investment in Melbourne.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/real-estate/buying/housing-affordability-will-probably-deteriorate-once-victorias-new-first-homebuyer-incentives-are-introduced/news-story/367771071d740eb5434a19d3bfb03e95

Last edited by Beoz; Mar 6th 2017 at 7:33 am.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 7:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beoz
.... and on the flipside of this, if you cut rates, businesses operating on Sundays can hire more staff or even open when they were previously closed. Your argument is a good point, but should be qualified by the flipside.
I work in retail, our Sunday penalty rates are only (150%) time and a half now!
So the cuts will make absolutely no difference to our stores staff ratio on Sunday trading...
Old Mar 6th 2017, 7:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mammabear
I work in retail, our Sunday penalty rates are only (150%) time and a half now!
So the cuts will make absolutely no difference to our stores staff ratio on Sunday trading...
Ha ha. How long has this been in play? 5 days? Lets re-visit this down the track.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 8:01 am
Account Closed

Ha ha. How long has this been in play? 5 days? Lets re-visit this down the track.
It's been 150% on Sunday for the last 5 years I've worked for the company
Old Mar 6th 2017, 8:08 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

There's one more bod with a job. There's one more bod paying tax. There's a business owner paying more tax on increased profits.

And that my friends is a winner for millions v 3 existing workers.
The reality will be she'll hire another member of staff, however, 2 out of the existing 3 will quit their jobs because they can't afford to make existing payments on their new rate, She'll then hire a couple of inexperienced school leavers who don't know their arse from their elbow but are cheaper than trained staff They'll drop plates and spill coffee's, people will get fed up of the sloppiness & waiting, the new bad name will spread causing less walk- ins. Business will suffer terribly and she'll close up shop putting one and all out of a job.
Asians will quickly open up a tea shop in the same spot and work 20 hrs a day keeping all the jobs within their family and accepting cash only so they can fiddle their tax to minimise/negate any contributions.
Pauline Hanson will whip every bogan Aussie feral into a frenzy demanding they "all go home" Rioters will burn down the whole street causing millions of dollars in damage. Insurance premiums will rocket and everyone will blame Bill Shorten. And all because the poorest workers in our society lost 25% of their Sunday wage so the nation could have a cappuccino on a Sunday
Old Mar 6th 2017, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's been 150% on Sunday for the last 5 years I've worked for the company
Only fast food has been at 150%. Retail was at was at 200% and has been cut to 150% for full and part timers and 175% for casual.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by cresta57
The reality will be she'll hire another member of staff, however, 2 out of the existing 3 will quit their jobs because they can't afford to make existing payments on their new rate, She'll then hire a couple of inexperienced school leavers who don't know their arse from their elbow but are cheaper than trained staff They'll drop plates and spill coffee's, people will get fed up of the sloppiness & waiting, the new bad name will spread causing less walk- ins. Business will suffer terribly and she'll close up shop putting one and all out of a job.
Asians will quickly open up a tea shop in the same spot and work 20 hrs a day keeping all the jobs within their family and accepting cash only so they can fiddle their tax to minimise/negate any contributions.
Pauline Hanson will whip every bogan Aussie feral into a frenzy demanding they "all go home" Rioters will burn down the whole street causing millions of dollars in damage. Insurance premiums will rocket and everyone will blame Bill Shorten. And all because the poorest workers in our society lost 25% of their Sunday wage so the nation could have a cappuccino on a Sunday
Ha ha ha. Great story. And racist too. Sounds like Pauline has already whipped you into a frenzy.

Old Mar 6th 2017, 8:25 am
Account Closed

Only fast food has been at 150%. Retail was at was at 200% and has been cut to 150% for full and part timers and 175% for casual.
Are you insinuating that I'm lying? I can assure you, since I started working full time for this company 5 years ago, I have been paid 150% for working Sunday's, in RETAIL!!
Old Mar 6th 2017, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Are you insinuating that I'm lying? I can assure you, since I started working full time for this company 5 years ago, I have been paid 150% for working Sunday's, in RETAIL!!
Keep your hair on.

http://www.fairwork.gov.au/awards-and-agreements/awards/award-summary/ma000004-summary

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-23/weekend-penalty-rates-fair-work-commission-decision/8295758?pfmredir=sm

Maybe you want to pass more information if the standard doesn't apply to you.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 8:54 am
Account Closed

Who the Retail Award covers

The Retail Award covers employers in the general retail industry and their employees who fit within the classifications of the award.

The general retail industry means the sale or hire of goods or services to final consumers for personal, household or business consumption and includes:

retailers (such as supermarket or grocery stores)
department stores (such as stores selling clothes or soft goods)
stores selling:
furniture and household appliances
recreational goods
personal and household goods
household equipment repair services (electronic devices)
bakery shops mainly baking products to sell on the same premises
retail travel agencies
customer information and assistance provided by shopping centres or retail complexes
newspaper deliveries by a newsagency
clerical work done in a retail store
retail poultry store
retail activities conducted from a seafood processing establishment
businesses engaged in supporting vending machines.
Examples of employees covered by the Retail Award include:

check-out operators and sales assistants
stock hands and shelf stackers
door to door salespersons
trolley collectors
service supervisors, department and store managers
tradespersons such as butchers, bakers and florists
an employee selling travel packages to final consumers (eg. retail travel agencies)
back-office employees performing clerical work in a retail shop
electrical device repairers (mobile phones, tablets etc)
photographer (where the business is selling the photos to a consumer).
The Retail Award also covers labour hire businesses and their employees who are placed with an organisation in the retail industry.

Check the award for full information on who is covered and the classification descriptions.

Source reference: General Retail Industry Award 2010 [MA000004] clauses 3, 4 and schedule B external-icon.png

Expand for more information

Yes, my job is included in the above link you added. Still only got paid 150% for working Sunday's.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Retail Award covers employers in the general retail industry and their employees who fit within the classifications of the award.

The general retail industry means the sale or hire of goods or services to final consumers for personal, household or business consumption and includes:

stores selling:
recreational goods
retail travel agencies
customer information and assistance provided by shopping centres or retail complexes
retail poultry store

trolley collectors
an employee selling travel packages to final consumers (eg. retail travel agencies)
The Retail Award also covers labour hire businesses and their employees who are placed with an organisation in the retail industry.

Check the award for full information on who is covered and the classification descriptions.

Source reference: General Retail Industry Award 2010 [MA000004] clauses 3, 4 and schedule B external-icon.png

Yes, my job is included in the above link you added. Still only got paid 150% for working Sunday's.
Well you've lost me. Its all so cryptic.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 9:26 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

stores selling:
recreational goods
retail travel agencies
retail poultry store

trolley collectors

No wonder the economy is drowning in red-tape with shite like this

Something has to give or it's Thatcher time
Old Mar 6th 2017, 10:05 am
Account Closed

Well you've lost me. Its all so cryptic.
Cryptic?? Anyway...

A straightforward answer is that I have never been paid 200% on Sunday's, only 150% has been in play in my retail job for the last 5 years, so no need to re-visit down the track.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat100; Mar 6th 2017 at 10:08 am. Reason: To add Retail...
Old Mar 6th 2017, 10:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Cryptic?? Anyway...

A straightforward answer is that I have never been paid 200% on Sunday's in my retail job, only 150% has been in play for the last 5 years, so no need to re-visit down the track.
So your employer is not following the rules? Is this a guessing game?
Old Mar 6th 2017, 10:24 am
Account Closed

So your employer is not following the rules? Is this a guessing game?
All legal as per the EBA

Sunday Work
Hours worked on a Sunday receive the following loading (permanents & casuals):

Between 7 am and 9 pm
50%

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.