buying a car

Old Nov 10th 2007, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

jamiefrod will become famous soon enoughjamiefrod will become famous soon enough
Default buying a car

I've read some stuff off the net but i'm still a bit confussed, i'm trying to buy a cheap but road worthy car so can someone explain to me about rego pink slips, green slips etc what comes with the car (ie road tax mot etc) and what i have to sort out. Thought i'd be able to work out this one for myself! must be getting stupider since i arrived

cheers
Old Nov 10th 2007, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

smee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to all
Default Re: buying a car

Originally Posted by jamiefrod
I've read some stuff off the net but i'm still a bit confussed, i'm trying to buy a cheap but road worthy car so can someone explain to me about rego pink slips, green slips etc what comes with the car (ie road tax mot etc) and what i have to sort out. Thought i'd be able to work out this one for myself! must be getting stupider since i arrived

cheers
Rego is road tax, this is paid yearly or 6 monthly and stays with the car and also covers for 3rd party personal injury, any other insurance requied has to be taken out by yourself, though this isn't compulsory. No MOT is required, but the car will need to have a government approved immoboliser fitted to be able to transfere the vehicle, if there isn't one then you will be required to fit one.
When you are buying a car the seller and purchaser both have to fill in and sign their part of a "Vehicle Transfer" form. The seller submits his copy to the Traffic office and they will send you out a bill for the cost of the transfer of putting the car into your name. Also you will need the current Rego papers from the seller.

Factor in how much rego is left on the car when negotiating the price, if there's not much time left then you will have to pay this soon after buying the car.