Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Broken arm - waterproof cast, Perth.

Broken arm - waterproof cast, Perth.

Old Feb 10th 2012, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of
Default Broken arm - waterproof cast, Perth.

My son who is 12 broke his arm yesterday and is in hospital awaiting surgery. It's a radial fracture at his elbow.

He is a very keen swimmer and is devastated that he will miss all the upcoming swim meets but even more concerned about not being able to go in the pool at all.

I've heard that you can get a waterproof cast made which can be used in a swimming pool. Has anyone any information, costs? Happy to travel anywhere in Perth from Yanchep to Mandurah.

Thanks
Old Feb 10th 2012, 11:31 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broken arm - waterproof cast, Perth.

Originally Posted by galba
My son who is 12 broke his arm yesterday and is in hospital awaiting surgery. It's a radial fracture at his elbow.

He is a very keen swimmer and is devastated that he will miss all the upcoming swim meets but even more concerned about not being able to go in the pool at all.

I've heard that you can get a waterproof cast made which can be used in a swimming pool. Has anyone any information, costs? Happy to travel anywhere in Perth from Yanchep to Mandurah.

Thanks
I would ask the orthopaedic guy who's doing his surgery.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I would ask the orthopaedic guy who's doing his surgery.
Thanks Dorothy - we're in PMH, I'll ask him when he comes round.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 12:13 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
I don't know about a waterproof cast, as the inside has to be lined with something comfortable! Not only that but the inside has to stay dry otherwise you can get horrible skin conditions with constantly wet skin... Having spent the last 6 weeks in a cast myself, then I feel his pain... but at least it's only an arm!
BUT, whilst I was googling all things casty (I was looking for things to decorate mine), I found this:

http://dricast.com.au/

There are others, which are American, but this is your closest bet.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 12:16 am

http://www.limbo.com.au/products.html
Old Feb 11th 2012, 12:18 am

Ha, found a link to the stuff you talk about perhaps?

http://www.waterproofcast.com/

Oh maybe not

Last edited by TiddlyPom; Feb 11th 2012 at 12:21 am.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

hoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant future

When my youngest broke his arm on the first day of the summer holiday a couple of years ago PMH referred us to a medical supply place in Carlisle (can't remember the address but not far from the indoor play centre in Planet Street) where we bought one of the covers shown in the post above. Although the cover was fine for short periods in the pool it is sealed to the arm by forming a vacuum so gets quite tight and uncomfortable to wear for too long. Cost around $95.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 6:12 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Dorothy - we're in PMH, I'll ask him when he comes round.
Good luck for the surgery . I can't think of anywhere better than PMH for care. They've been absolutely amazing with my son these past few (very stressful) months.