Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Bipolar family support - northern beaches sydney prefered

Bipolar family support - northern beaches sydney prefered

Old Sep 13th 2014, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bipolar family support - northern beaches sydney prefered

After a trip back to the uk and a noticeable deterioration (suspected prior to trip back but confirmed on visit) in my sister in law are there any known support groups that my husband and I can access for supporting an individual with bipolar, in particular someone suffering with paranoid episodes from afar.

Previously my sil has been managed very well under medication but is now refusing the best medication options for her (there is reasoning behind this and her husband can't persuade her otherwise). There are ongoing incidents that we would love to know how to best manage from a distance, especially as a lot of her moments include paranoia against her husband and his family. As a family we are concerned as her husband indicated that at some point either he or her would be sectioned and he didn't know who would break first...

Any help or experiences would be appreciated to ascertain the best possible support.
Old Sep 13th 2014, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bipolar family support - northern beaches sydney prefered

Originally Posted by Bikergirl
After a trip back to the uk and a noticeable deterioration (suspected prior to trip back but confirmed on visit) in my sister in law are there any known support groups that my husband and I can access for supporting an individual with bipolar, in particular someone suffering with paranoid episodes from afar.

Previously my sil has been managed very well under medication but is now refusing the best medication options for her (there is reasoning behind this and her husband can't persuade her otherwise). There are ongoing incidents that we would love to know how to best manage from a distance, especially as a lot of her moments include paranoia against her husband and his family. As a family we are concerned as her husband indicated that at some point either he or her would be sectioned and he didn't know who would break first...

Any help or experiences would be appreciated to ascertain the best possible support.
Without getting the individual back on proven medication such as lithium for example, it will be a compounding struggle for the caregivers until something eventually gives and the individual is possibly institutionalised for her and others' safety.
To many who have been blindsided by the onset of bipolar disorder of a loved one, proper medication is nothing short of 'miraculous'.

Here is a spousal blog which might be helpful.

Best Wishes.

Partners of Bipolar Sufferers - Bipolar Support Forum
Old Sep 13th 2014, 5:15 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bikergirl

So much stress for family members of someone with bipolar - I'm sorry that you and your family are going through this. I don't know of any specific organisations in your area, but there are quite a few support groups in Australia that offer advice and support to carers/family members, including the opportunity to connect with others. This is a good resource
Australia | Bipolar Caregivers

Wishing you and your family happier times ahead.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 1:14 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bikergirl,

Sorry to hear about your sister in law's poor mental health at the moment. It's very emotionally draining to care for someone like this, she's suffering and her poor husband must be at his wits end. From my own observations, when a person is refusing to take their meds, it's difficult to turn things around without professional help.

About a third of the way down this page is a link to the NSW support groups, there is one in Dee Why which will be close to you, hopefully they can help and she gets well soon.