Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australian slang from long ago

Australian slang from long ago

Old Aug 31st 2016, 6:14 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian slang from long ago

A very old friend of mine is always describing places as "out in the wop-wops". His father was Governor-General of New Zealand for some years so I have always assume it is an NZ expression.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 8:20 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if 'prang' is exclusively Aussie slang, but we say it a lot.

Dad, I pranged your car

I'll kill ya, ya mongrel!
Old Aug 31st 2016, 12:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

No go Kazza, I ain't got any Frangers...but....

Must have used them on that Lazza Moll....

These were the ads on the TV when I first got here..... I reckon they kind of belong on this thread.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 31st 2016 at 12:50 pm.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 1:38 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
It's a Sydney term from the 50's and aludes to those night cart men.... Their tins usually had kick dents in them..which is what I remembered.... I've seen a few like that....They didn't have those in the UK. (thats a idea for a thread actually so here goes)........

Most graphic ones I've heard have all come from Sydneysiders.
They certainly did have the dunny carts, well trucks would be a better word, used to hate the days they came round to empty the outside loo, and they wuld always spill some.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 1:41 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Well, I've been alive for a very long time, Kimmy! I've never heard it spoken, but then I've never lived in the mining towns of WA. There are plenty of local slang expressions, all over the world, of course, which aren't common elsewhere. I can think of a few from the Darling Downs that I've never heard outside the area, and others from Toowoomba, and yet others from the parts of Brisbane that I've lived in. For me, those are in the nature of family expressions, and don't really count as "Australian". For instance... in our house we have a wonderful expression "two tuppenies!" meaning "spare no expense!" that had its origin in Kangaroo Valley in the 1960s.

However, I'm being too fussy. Do you have any more from the mining towns that have made it to the mainstream? Maybe "flat out like a lizard drinking" is one of them. That, too, isn't one I've heard in real life, except from city-folk. Sounds a bit too Crocodile Dundee to be real, but maybe not. In my part of the bush, words were reckoned to be too precious to spend unnecessarily
!
It's a regular question on Australia day on the Barbie quiz.

The BE Barbie Quiz - Daily Trivia Game

so it must be a faily common saying.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 1:42 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
A very old friend of mine is always describing places as "out in the wop-wops". His father was Governor-General of New Zealand for some years so I have always assume it is an NZ expression.
I believe there is an 'other side of woop woop from Australia, again from the Barbie quiz.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I don't know if 'prang' is exclusively Aussie slang, but we say it a lot.
I've always thought "prang" was British slang from WWII, or maybe WWI. Did Biggles use the word?

[Later: I've just thought to look it up in the Online Dictionary, which gives the origin as follows. Sounds plausible to me.]
Word Origin
C20: possibly imitative of an explosion; perhaps related to Malay perang war, fighting
Old Aug 31st 2016, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

I'll kill ya, ya mongrel!
Or: "...ya drongo!" Is drongo still in use? I hope so; it's a splendid word.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 8:21 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes! You'll be very pleased to know that drongo is alive and well You know more Aussie slang than me, I only remember when I read or hear it!!
Old Aug 31st 2016, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Fair suck of the sav ....Maaate.

I get the feeling that some of this what I think is common slang isn't so common in other states.

I've definitely heard "Flat out like a lizard drinking" in Victoria a lot.

Then there is stuff like this..... Back in the 70's again, Australia certainly was at the forefront of politically incorrect nations.... Some amusing things around then.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 31st 2016 at 10:46 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 1:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I've just been checking out some old photos with my brothers (by email), and debating how old one of us was in one of the photos. A toddler's age was reckoned to be four months, and one of the boys said, "He looks a bit hairy-arsed for four months!" That expression was - in our youth - usually applied to young male teenagers who seemed older than their given ages. I wonder if it's still in use today. Perhaps some BE member will tell us if they've heard it since he or she immigrated. Thanks.
A lot of words in Australian are also currency in the UK. Hairy-arsed has been used in UK military circles for years.

Bong for an abo...comes front the noise they make as they hit the bumper bars....
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 1:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I still use 'stone the crows!', 'useless as tits on a bull', 'hard yakka' (said that to a Pom last week, to be met with a blank stare).

Were you born in a tent?
oo'roo
He/she has a kangaroo loose in the top paddock
He/she is a stubbie short of a six-pack
Mad as a cut snake
Couldn't organize a piss-up in a brewery
Smoko

I doubt you'll need a translation for any of those, but sing out if you do
Piss up in brewery and tits on a bull all UK sayings too..I sometimes wonder if its exposure to UK military circles too..also surely common in London!
Old Sep 14th 2016, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Another expression my wife and I use from time to time, when something drags out for a lot longer than it should: "Dear God! It's like Nellie Melba's farewell!" I wonder if that's still current, in Oz.
(From Americans I've heard "It's like Frank Sinatra's farewell!" in the same situation.)
Old Sep 14th 2016, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

SoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, the old lady a few doors down from me described her dog as being 'older than Methuselah's back door' which I'd never heard before.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 2:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Another expression my wife and I use from time to time, when something drags out for a lot longer than it should: "Dear God! It's like Nellie Melba's farewell!" I wonder if that's still current, in Oz.
(From Americans I've heard "It's like Frank Sinatra's farewell!" in the same situation.)

It's changed to John Farnhams these days...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.