Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australian Beer is Just Too Goddam Expensive

Australian Beer is Just Too Goddam Expensive

Old Mar 6th 2013, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Beer is Just Too Goddam Expensive

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Sunday @ the football cost me just over 100 bucks purely on beer/cider .... So I tend to sympathise with this view. I think I bought the Wife two drinks out of that as she didn't turn up until she finished work circa 4pm ish. Got to admit I did start pre midday and didn't get home till pretty late... still was quite expensive really.

Half of that was happy hour as well. I would have been happy with sub 80 bucks.

Seasons over soon, then I can get back to drinking at home prices again.
Dispense with the footy and get on with the real business! Liver disease rules! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-te...cts_of_alcohol
Old Mar 7th 2013, 8:47 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Sunday @ the football cost me just over 100 bucks purely on beer/cider .... So I tend to sympathise with this view. I think I bought the Wife two drinks out of that as she didn't turn up until she finished work circa 4pm ish. Got to admit I did start pre midday and didn't get home till pretty late... still was quite expensive really.

Half of that was happy hour as well. I would have been happy with sub 80 bucks.

Seasons over soon, then I can get back to drinking at home prices again.
It's not the beer that's expensive, it's the fact that they ban you taking your own into the ground so that the bars can charge excessive prices as they have a monopoly.

Ever considered NOT drinking beer at the match?
Old Mar 8th 2013, 1:13 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
Go wash your mouth out!!! It's the law, you HAVE to drink at a footy match!
Old Mar 8th 2013, 2:11 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
It's the law, you HAVE to drink at a footy match!
Since the only times I have ever been persuaded to attend a footy match is when I have received an invite to a corporate box, I probably have to agree with you.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 2:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
It's not the beer that's expensive, it's the fact that they ban you taking your own into the ground so that the bars can charge excessive prices as they have a monopoly.

SACRILIEGE...... (AKA... what happens if its a crap game but shhhh on that one)

Thats the before and after match cost.... I take a couple of minatures with scotch in now and buy a Coke, take a couple of swigs of coke and fill up..... That Coke still costs 4.90 each

BTW I've fine tuned the sneaking the booze in.... used to be a hip flask but they are too conspicuous... Oh and I was getting too pissed LOL...

Have to say, I'm not sure whether I'd enjoy a corporate box... It's just one up from watching on TV, as you'd be too far removed from the atmosphere in my book. There again I'm a dedicated standing active supporter... With plenty of people in my peer group down the South End. Probably best do the Corporate box at a game where my team wasn't playing.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 8th 2013 at 2:27 am.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 2:21 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Thats the before and after cost.... I take a couple of minatures with scotch in now and buy a Coke, take a couple of swigs of coke and fill up..... That Coke still costs 4.90 each

BTW I've fine tuned the sneaking the booze in.... used to be a hip flask but they are too conspicuous.

Have to say, I'm not sure whether I'd enjoy a corporate box... It's just one up from watching on TV, as you'd be too far removed from the atmosphere in my book. There again I'm a dedicated active supporter... with plenty of people in my peer group down the South End.

I used to use an empty and clean sunscreen bottle for smuggling alcohol into venues like the Big Day Out etc. They will take your water bottles from you, but never your sunscreen

Make sure it's very clean though...

S
Old Mar 8th 2013, 2:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I used to use an empty and clean sunscreen bottle for smuggling alcohol into venues like the Big Day Out etc. They will take your water bottles from you, but never your sunscreen

S

Oh I like that one Thats very clever.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
where are you paying 8 pounds for a pint of beer in Australia???
You have never been to Perth! Its not uncommon to pay $15, which is about 10 quid! A couple of years ago i was in a bar in Northbridge and ordered a vodka on the rocks. Handed over a $20 and she told me i hadnt given enough money. It was $28! Nearly fell over even though sober.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Originally Posted by verystormy
You have never been to Perth! Its not uncommon to pay $15, which is about 10 quid! A couple of years ago i was in a bar in Northbridge and ordered a vodka on the rocks. Handed over a $20 and she told me i hadnt given enough money. It was $28! Nearly fell over even though sober.
It's an automatic fail everytime you convert to pounds. Anyone who actually lives here should never use the conversion, especially at the moment. The way things are going by next week it will be 100gbp for a pint and think of the screams then. Btw i've never paid $15 for a pint in Perth, there's plenty of sub$10 pints all over the CBD and beyond. $8 pint of Heineken in that new swanky bar central park on St. Georges even.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 4:28 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
It's an automatic fail everytime you convert to pounds. Anyone who actually lives here should never use the conversion, especially at the moment. The way things are going by next week it will be 100gbp for a pint and think of the screams then. Btw i've never paid $15 for a pint in Perth, there's plenty of sub$10 pints all over the CBD and beyond. $8 pint of Heineken in that new swanky bar central park on St. Georges even.
There is no denying that Perth is an expensive place to drink, but I agree, anyone paying $15 for a pint is a f**king idiot. There are plenty of places in the CBD with less than $10 a pint beers. All these new bars are creating healthy competition. My wife and I were out in the city a few Saturdays ago and the place was rocking. I never paid more than $10 for a pint and we had a bottle of French champagne for $99 (GBPeso 60-80 in a trendy bar in the UK - I checked. So about the same price) in The Trustee.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
There is no denying that Perth is an expensive place to drink, but I agree, anyone paying $15 for a pint is a f**king idiot. There are plenty of places in the CBD with less than $10 a pint beers. All these new bars are creating healthy competition. My wife and I were out in the city a few Saturdays ago and the place was rocking. I never paid more than $10 for a pint and we had a bottle of French champagne for $99 (GBPeso 60-80 in a trendy bar in the UK - I checked. So about the same price) in The Trustee.
The Trustee charges $11 for a beer. Cocktail are about $18 and were the worst i have had. Food was yet another Perth fail. Overpriced and poor
Old Mar 8th 2013, 3:33 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

S
I like it
Old Mar 8th 2013, 10:56 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I can't afford to go out to drink. Fortunately a neighbour has build an authentic pommy pub in my street (BYO) so I'm always there every Friday!

That Boozle site appears good (it's run by a friend of of one of my colleagues) BUT the last few times I've used it I've found the prices are not accurate (always NOT in my favour, of course).
Old Mar 8th 2013, 11:02 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
The Trustee charges $11 for a beer. Cocktail are about $18 and were the worst i have had. Food was yet another Perth fail. Overpriced and poor
That night we went to The Print Hall and pints were $10. Never ate there but often eat at The Heritage next door where the food is great (but expensive). Ate at nearby The Quarter the other night, and as usual the food was superb. Perth has some great food options.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 12:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
Dispense with the footy and get on with the real business! Liver disease rules! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-te...cts_of_alcohol
I had to have a few good stiff drinks to get over that news

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.