Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Aussie banks in the financial turmoil...

Aussie banks in the financial turmoil...

Old Oct 7th 2008, 6:56 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie banks in the financial turmoil...

Originally Posted by markallwood
I'll tell you what next.... unemployment currently at 4.1%, this will rise slowly over the next two years to 5.5%.

House prices will fall slightly/remain static between now and mid 2010 when they will start to slowly grow again.

Hope this helps !
Makes no odds to me.

My income is in sterling.....a weak dollar suits me fine.....and I do not need to worry about jobs or houses
Old Oct 7th 2008, 7:02 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Or my superannuation fund being devalued.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markallwood
I'll tell you what next.... unemployment currently at 4.1%, this will rise slowly over the next two years to 5.5%.

House prices will fall slightly/remain static between now and mid 2010 when they will start to slowly grow again.

Hope this helps !
Can you tell me which horse will win the 3.30 at Sandown?
Old Oct 7th 2008, 7:20 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Doubt it. I would say the FED have just snapped golden handcuffs on him as he seems to be able to predict the out come of a global meltdown. (kidding markallwood)
Old Oct 7th 2008, 7:29 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
The fall of the Aussie dollar has absolutely nothing to do with the Australian banking system. [sigh]

It has everything to do with large falls in commodity prices, the prospect of a protracted global recession and the anticipated larger-than-usual cut to domestic interest rates today.

Gina
Wow... You're very knowledgeable...

You should sue OzForex for copyright infringement and plagiarism...

http://www.ozforex.com.au/cgi-bin/dailycommentary.asp
Old Oct 7th 2008, 7:34 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

ho ho... Of course mate. But that doesn't mean I'll get it right !!

Every man and his dog loves to tell people that they know what the future holds.... I think it is human nature. "house prices will plummet" or "the aussie dollar will fall" etc. Truth is, these folks don't really know what will happen until after it has happened. Which makes them the same as you and me.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 7:42 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Makes no odds to me.

My income is in sterling.....a weak dollar suits me fine.....and I do not need to worry about jobs or houses
Good for you mate!!
Old Oct 7th 2008, 7:44 am
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Let's wait and see eh?

Certainly a lot of confidence has been lost in the Australian system as witnessed by the rapid decline in the dollar.....just a coincidence?
I don't think you can draw that conclusion. The interest rate cut has made a lot of difference, and there's been a general withdrawal from resource-based currencies. That doesn't equate to a loss of confidence, just investors shifting funds around to address the market conditions.

As Tiddly said, Australian banks don't have many of the now worthless overseas sub-prime investments
My research backs that up. Of course, many of the US banks don't have those investments now, since the EESA bought them up.

Cheers
b
Old Oct 7th 2008, 7:46 am
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Ah, the joys of retirement

Actually, I'll be paid from the UK, but in AUD. At least the rate changes make me a cheaper employee!

Cheers
b
Old Oct 7th 2008, 7:48 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DrWho

You should sue OzForex for copyright infringement and plagiarism...

wow what a coincidence
Old Oct 7th 2008, 7:58 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DrWho

I am well informed (different from knowledgeable). I read the Australian Financial Review as well. And the Financial Times. It pays to be informed.

A side benefit of staying informed is that I can answer the questions you ask .

Gina

P.S. I'll come to you when I want to know something about air-conditioning.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 8:11 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

P.S. I'll come to you when I want to know something about air-conditioning.

He just opens his mouth....

Old Oct 7th 2008, 9:06 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
He just opens his mouth....

Old Oct 7th 2008, 9:26 am
Timelord

...A side benefit of staying informed is that I can answer the questions you ask ...
Fantastic... So what are the Credit Default Swap rates for the big 4 banks in Australia and how do they compare to other banks in the US and the EU...? Which is what I asked in the first post I think...

Last edited by DrWho; Oct 7th 2008 at 9:30 am. Reason: Formatting... :(
Old Oct 7th 2008, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

bradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to all

Bradfordlad, can you repost the link I can't get it to work. Thanks
http://www.dailyreckoning.com.au/fut...75/2008/10/07/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.