Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Atrocious Perth journalism

Atrocious Perth journalism

Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

marcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to all
Default Atrocious Perth journalism

Ok for those that don't live in WA, perthnow.com.au is the Sunday Times news website and boasts itself as "Western Australia's premier news, sport, entertainment and lifestyle site".

Yet this story: http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...60-948,00.html

First the headling subheading: "Perth is second-fasted growing city" AND the subheading: "PERTH is Australia's second-fasted growing city". Once is permissible if they correct it quickly, twice within words of each other is unacceptable. And to STILL have it up even after people have posted comments about it is just embarrassing.

Next is this story: http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...67-948,00.html

A woman has been found with serious head injuries that are likely life threatening. But according to this 'intelligent' publication, she was 'found bashed in her front yard'.

Anyone else find this sort of thing to be quite embarrassing? Especially given that WA hardly has a decent selection of media available for news information anyway, you would expect those which ARE available (even if they are dumbed-down tabloids on par with the red top crap peddled here in the UK) would at least ensure they have spelling errors corrected (and I've seen this many times on their site) or do something about their language used in articles - describing someone as 'bashed' is incredibly vague as the term can refer to an incident of assault, the injuries and can be both serious and minor.

But, hey, if it keeps the rednecks 'informed'...
Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:56 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Atrocious Perth journalism

Originally Posted by marcpiano
Ok for those that don't live in WA, perthnow.com.au is the Sunday Times news website and boasts itself as "Western Australia's premier news, sport, entertainment and lifestyle site".

First the headling subheading: "Perth is second-fasted growing city" AND the subheading: "PERTH is Australia's second-fasted growing city". Once is permissible if they correct it quickly, twice within words of each other is unacceptable. And to STILL have it up even after people have posted comments about it is just embarrassing.

A woman has been found with serious head injuries that are likely life threatening. But according to this 'intelligent' publication, she was 'found bashed in her front yard'.

Anyone else find this sort of thing to be quite embarrassing? Especially given that WA hardly has a decent selection of media available for news information anyway, you would expect those which ARE available (even if they are dumbed-down tabloids on par with the red top crap peddled here in the UK) would at least ensure they have spelling errors corrected (and I've seen this many times on their site) or do something about their language used in articles - describing someone as 'bashed' is incredibly vague as the term can refer to an incident of assault, the injuries and can be both serious and minor.

Point taken in the first instance, but I feel your second point is somewhat misplaced. 'Bashed' is merely the way the Australians say 'beaten' or 'beaten up'. You are basing your views on the usage of the word in the United Kingdom.

All newspapers are guilty of typos - in fact on this site a guy blogs all such errors made in the highly respected British newspaper, The Guardian.

This one's quite ironic ...

What this has to do with 'rednecks' I don't know, but I think you should find a way of channeling the anger you feel ...

Old Apr 1st 2008, 8:03 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

The WA Sunday Times is not a newspaper. It's lik a copy of Loot wrapped up in a Daily Mail.

I never buy it or visit their website.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 8:14 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Atrocious Perth journalism

Yes it's atrocious. How shocking.

Check the Guardian and Independent for typos; the Guardian in particular, is famous for them. Even the Times does not escape.

Australia does not have tabloids; instead it simply has poor quality local papers. This is no big deal, because the nationals are far superior. You can't compare a West Australian equivalent of The Walsall Advertiser to something like The Age or Independent. Apples and oranges.

Hutch is dead right on the "bashed" issue.

You're making mountains out of molehills. But hey, whatever it takes to get you through the day.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 8:24 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe Perth is the second city to have fasted !
Old Apr 1st 2008, 8:41 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You've never read The Guardian or as they famously called it one day The Grauniad? Bashed has already been explained. I believe you're either heading back or have moved back to the UK, in which case why does this bother you unless you are making some sort of justification for your move?

Were it a real newspaper I might agree with you but it's not. I have more issues with the grammar and spelling on these forums but I don't let it worry me, there are people dying in their millions needlessly in the world - THAT worries me.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 9:06 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Atrocious Perth journalism

Originally Posted by moneypen20
You've never read The Guardian or as they famously called it one day The Grauniad? Bashed has already been explained. I believe you're either heading back or have moved back to the UK, in which case why does this bother you unless you are making some sort of justification for your move?

Were it a real newspaper I might agree with you but it's not. I have more issues with the grammar and spelling on these forums but I don't let it worry me, there are people dying in their millions needlessly in the world - THAT worries me.
The Guardian dropped this fantastic clanger in an article entitled "In praise of the subeditor" a few years ago:

Newspapers have found it difficulty to recruit subeditors over the last few years.
Ironically, it was accompanied by a photograph of the sub-editor proofreading the very article in question!
Old Apr 1st 2008, 9:15 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Why would I find a couple of typos embarrassing ? Maybe I would find my public lack of knowledge of Australian colloquialisms embarrassing tho Bashed is a very common term.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 9:49 am
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20

Yup, totally agree with you on that, he could alternatively just watch the news on tv if the grammar is so unacceptable to him.

There are so many more important things in life.

Now, what should I have for my tea, and what should I wear tomorrow?
Old Apr 1st 2008, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

deryans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant future

I find this quite disturbing, that posters are actually pointing out Typo's in two UK broadsheets and somehow drawing the implied conclusion that somehow these newspapers are somehow not a reliable source of information.

Typo's are not the issue, what is the issue is quality,honest, coherent and unbiased journalism, something which I am sure you will agree, we are bereft of in Australia. The commercial channels 7 9 and 10, along with the murdoch, Packer and Stokes legacy here in Oz have really dumbed down the journalist intent to info-tainment.

ABC and SBS are the only sources of Aussie Journalism that I look at, if I want to find out what is happening and I don't sweat the typos, I am more interested in the message.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 10:29 am
Fighting my corner

Smile Re: Atrocious Perth journalism

Originally Posted by deryans
I find this quite disturbing, that posters are actually pointing out Typo's in two UK broadsheets and somehow drawing the implied conclusion that somehow these newspapers are somehow not a reliable source of information.
I'd be disturbed too, if that's what people were doing. But nobody has said claimed that typoes that a newspaper is not a reliable source of information. Nobody has even hinted at such a thing.

Typo's are not the issue, what is the issue is quality,honest, coherent and unbiased journalism, something which I am sure you will agree, we are bereft of in Australia. The commercial channels 7 9 and 10, along with the murdoch, Packer and Stokes legacy here in Oz have really dumbed down the journalist intent to info-tainment.

ABC and SBS are the only sources of Aussie Journalism that I look at, if I want to find out what is happening and I don't sweat the typos, I am more interested in the message.
Agree.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 11:04 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I think The Age is a good newspaper. It has a few typos now and again but then so do all good newspapers. It's as good as best of the UK papers.

ABC and SBS are good for TV news. News on 7, 9 and 10 is like local ITV news because these channels tend to be more - how do say it? - local.

I can well believe that the newspapers of Perth and Brisbane are a bit pony
Old Apr 1st 2008, 11:07 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deryans
The commercial channels 7 9 and 10, along with the murdoch, Packer and Stokes legacy here in Oz have really dumbed down the journalist intent to info-tainment.

Surely the same can be said of commercial channels in the UK? Had I the choice of BBC1 or Channel 3,4 or 5 I would rather BBC. Here I watch Channel 9 Gold Coast news for local stuff and ABC for national and international. It's not complicated. It's not a national problem, it's a worldwide commercial problem. I think you'd be hard pressed to find decent quality news coverage on the millions of commercial channels in the US.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

The Sunday Times is a rag not a newspaper.

I like typos,some of them are so funny.

The Sunday Post had a beaut in years ago,

Pop Robson almost won the game for Sunderland in the 88th minute, when he unleashed a terrific shit from fully 35 yards that whacked against the crossbar.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 11:15 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to like Channel 4 news. BBC went through a bit of a ropey period but did improve before I left. They still make a few humdingers from time to time.

Loved Huw Edwards. Laughed out loud when I heard that the BBC got lots of complaints, when he first started, from people complaining about a Welsh man fronting up the English news