Amazon incoming ...

Old Dec 17th 2017, 6:04 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Amazon incoming ...

Appliances Online will price match, including delivery, installation and disconnection/collection of old appliance. Well, they have done for me in the past.

Generally speaking, we will look for items in store (HN, GG, JB HiFi etc), the do comparisons online. Luckily, I can also access the Good Guys Commercial division through work, so can often get things even cheaper
Old Dec 17th 2017, 9:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rasen78
Appliances Online will price match, including delivery, installation and disconnection/collection of old appliance. Well, they have done for me in the past.

Generally speaking, we will look for items in store (HN, GG, JB HiFi etc), the do comparisons online. Luckily, I can also access the Good Guys Commercial division through work, so can often get things even cheaper

So along with Officeworks, Bunnings and Harvey Norman, Appliances on line will price match Amazon as well. It's not going to be easy for Amazon if rivals keep this up eh?

I'm wondering whether the Goodguys and JB hifi will price match online suppliers as well as they never used to when presented with prices before.

JB hifi and the GG definitely wont price match Kogan.

Maybe they will have to now.
Old Dec 17th 2017, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
So along with Officeworks, Bunnings and Harvey Norman, Appliances on line will price match Amazon as well. It's not going to be easy for Amazon if rivals keep this up eh?

I'm wondering whether the Goodguys and JB hifi will price match online suppliers as well as they never used to when presented with prices before.

After price matching what is left?

The unknown customer service
Old Dec 17th 2017, 9:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I have a the manager of a Good Guys match until there is no more profit margin using google on the phone.

Therefore it might then all come down to buying power. This is something Amazon in the US are very good at.

But at the end of the day, you will be quibbling over a matter of dollars so it will then be all about convenience, services, extra giveaways, location, etc.

This is why Amazon are getting into bricks and mortar. They want to have all bases covered.
Old Dec 17th 2017, 11:38 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

When it comes to pricematching. I've found Officeworks to be the best, followed TGG and Retravision (don't know if they are outside WA?). TGG and Retravision will usually give good discounts of you bargain hard (and not all branches are the same). I've never shopped at HN so have no comparison. I recently had Bunnings pricematch, and beat by 10%, HN on a kitchen mixer tap
Old Dec 18th 2017, 12:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
When it comes to pricematching. I've found Officeworks to be the best, followed TGG and Retravision (don't know if they are outside WA?). TGG and Retravision will usually give good discounts of you bargain hard (and not all branches are the same). I've never shopped at HN so have no comparison. I recently had Bunnings pricematch, and beat by 10%, HN on a kitchen mixer tap
Chemist Warehouse are another one that are really good at price matching and discounting by at least 5pct. Not many people realise they do this, I was surprised myself when I just mentioned that "Healthsure" had the same product cheaper and they matched and cut straight away.

Online price matching is a different ballgame though, some will and some wont. Officeworks will be king of that contest, they're are the ones that first advertised "beating the price by 5 pct"

HN were always a no go for me as well until I renovated my house. I started at E and S trading and had hard paper quoted at least 8K worth of items, including 2 airconditioners, a cooker with induction cooktop, a washing machine, a dishwasher and other smaller items, I took that paper to the Good Guys and they gave me another much cheaper quote.... Then on the off chance I took it to our very local (less than 1K away) HN and they totally blitzed The GG's quote. Now every time I go buy anything electrical or household I go to any rival get a quote go to HN tell them all I've bought, they check and look up my purchase record which is all on file, They beat the price by quite a margin. Like I said they really surprised me with the Tefal Cuisine Companion that was like 300 bucks cheaper than the GG and left me looking pretty bad if I didn't purchase straight away. At least half the price of a thermomix as well. We really wanted the Thermomix but there's not 900 bucks worth of difference between the Tefal and the Thermo that's for sure.

Fe800a60 Cuisine Companion | David Jones

I'll definitely be getting a 80 inch plus TV of-of them when they become sub 3K.... Probably 2 years away yet. So when other's start advertising in the 4K's price range for the 80 inch TV's I'll start on HN about them. So I'll stick with my 55 inch panasonic plasma and 55 Inch Soniq LED until that time.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 18th 2017 at 1:04 am.
Old Dec 18th 2017, 1:31 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I wonder if the whole 'price matching' is an exemplar of the problems with the Australian market. Realistically, if the market were efficient, there wouldn't be a lot of scope for price cuts because everyone would be hitting the minimum margin they could manage. Significant ability to cut prices seems to indicate they are inefficient and are attempting to exploit people.
Old Dec 18th 2017, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Stuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Actually I wonder if the whole 'price matching' is an exemplar of the problems with the Australian market. Realistically, if the market were efficient, there wouldn't be a lot of scope for price cuts because everyone would be hitting the minimum margin they could manage. Significant ability to cut prices seems to indicate they are inefficient and are attempting to exploit people.
Australians are lazy and prefer "keeping margin on the table" versus working in the real world.
Old Dec 18th 2017, 1:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

With HN the answer is obvious.....It's the interest free periods they quote as a normal part of any advertising campaign. 60 months for some items.

Maybe the other companies piggyback on what are probably the market leaders on volumes pricing.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 18th 2017 at 1:46 am.
Old Dec 18th 2017, 2:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

They aren't charities mate. They are going to charge you the highest price they can before they can't sell it.

This is why competition is good and there are laws against price fixing.

https://www.accc.gov.au/business/ant...s/price-fixing
Old Dec 18th 2017, 2:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Beoz
They aren't charities mate. They are going to charge you the highest price they can before they can't sell it.

This is why competition is good and there are laws against price fixing.

https://www.accc.gov.au/business/ant...s/price-fixing
Getting peed off with myself re the different views that I'm finding myself in agreement with you.

Bricks and Motar v Online and now the base premise of all purchases... "Buyer Beware" Dammit.

One thing I have to repeat as no one has commented on it. Chemist Warehouse must knock off a hell of lot of Amazons advantage, All Perfumes, aftershaves, and natural health products......especially as they are everywhere and will beat the price by at least 5 pct.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 18th 2017 at 2:25 am.
Old Dec 18th 2017, 3:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Getting peed off with myself re the different views that I'm finding myself in agreement with you.

Bricks and Motar v Online and now the base premise of all purchases... "Buyer Beware" Dammit.

One thing I have to repeat as no one has commented on it. Chemist Warehouse must knock off a hell of lot of Amazons advantage, All Perfumes, aftershaves, and natural health products......especially as they are everywhere and will beat the price by at least 5 pct.
Harvey Norman used to get slammed for ripping off the mums and dads. Same with Telstra. Harvey Norman have realised that game is up.

Anyone who is still with Telstra has rocks in their head.
Old Dec 18th 2017, 3:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Beoz
Harvey Norman used to get slammed for ripping off the mums and dads. Same with Telstra. Harvey Norman have realised that game is up.

Anyone who is still with Telstra has rocks in their head.
The only caveat with Telstra and generally speaking I fully agree is if your way out in the Bush and I mean way out, and need mobile service.
Old Dec 18th 2017, 4:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The only caveat with Telstra and generally speaking I fully agree is if your way out in the Bush and I mean way out, and need mobile service.
I was more thinking landline and internet. But yes there are those caveats. And if your only alternative is optus, then you get to choose from a bad bunch.
Old Dec 18th 2017, 4:28 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Looking to move to a Telstra derivative in the new year (Aldi) mainly because the coverage difference isn't just in the bush, and because Virgin have peed me off by dumping all their existing plans.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.