Amazon incoming ...

Old Nov 30th 2017, 12:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Amazon incoming ...

Originally Posted by GarryP
It looks very like the 'soft launch' of Amazon last Thursday demonstrated some real issues with Amazon Australia, delaying the real launch. Talk is of issues with the web system and it's population, but it could also be an issue with auspost performance.

Still no sign of the real system going live, and it's December tomorrow ...

We're told it's the software and catalogue side of things. Web System and Population in tech speak jargon I guess.

AFAIK Aus Post is getting the items out 100pct on time easily thus far. Certainly in the Northern 'burbs.

Where will Amazon eventually get it's own "Trustworthy" drivers from. ? I'd say they would have to recruit people that have never done worked as couriers before personally. Otherwise the current cancer that pervades the courier and van delivery here will spread. Otherwise, they are stuck with Aus Post core delivery. AKA Posties.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Nov 30th 2017 at 1:02 am.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 1:21 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
We're told it's the software and catalogue side of things. Web System and Population in tech speak jargon I guess.
Reading between the lines, of the little there is in the news media, it sounds like the third party merchants have screwed up the population of the items for sale. There are certainly references to it being 'different than ebay' and 'things not appearing'. Given that the Amazon baseline software works fine everywhere else, and Amazon are hardly newbies at cloud servers - it sounds like the merchants screwed up the tagging and labeling, meaning that you didn't get one product and multiple sellers, but multiply differently labelled same products as local muppets tried to avoid price comparison.

AFAIK Aus Post is getting the items out 100pct on time easily thus far. Certainly in the Northern 'burbs.
I'd hope so, they aren't actually selling anything yet ....

Where will Amazon eventually get it's own "Trustworthy" drivers from. ? I'd say they would have to recruit people that have never done worked as couriers before personally. Otherwise the current cancer that pervades the courier and van delivery here will spread. Otherwise, they are stuck with Aus Post core delivery. AKA Posties.
It will be interesting to see. On the one hand auspost might raise their game to mediocre, but on the other hand I sent a Christmas card from Melbourne to Adelaide last Thursday, and it's still not there ...

There are other models that Amazon could use, even one's they have pursued elsewhere (eg https://flex.amazon.com/ ). But for the Christmas time, they are reliant on auspost meeting their contractual obligations.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 2:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I'd hope so, they aren't actually selling anything yet ....

I
Plus it's only one dummy round per facility, so fairly easy to get right.

We've been told to do the Amazon bags first, Thats above express and even Platinum express, So as long as they arrive easily identifiable amongst the other 100's of bags "She should be right" and so far so good. Hopefully, Dandenong keeps them separately in their own cages. I doubt they'll be separated in a years time though..... Always reverts back to the norm, which could mean shifting dozens of bags our end to get the odd one here and there, which is bound to fail eventually.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Nov 30th 2017 at 2:22 am.
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond repute

Special package: Shocking moment Amazon worker poos in customer's driveway - NZ Herald

Amazon will need to consider consequences of dealing with third party contractors.

Shit happens
Old Dec 4th 2017, 8:57 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Well Amazon have finally launched .... although they haven't really.

Basically all you find for most products is the 3rd party offerings, which are from the same Australian stores that have been ripping you off for years.

None of the usual Amazon goodies, and if they do offer free postage, it's on over $50.
Old Dec 4th 2017, 10:07 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Totally underwhelming.

Can't see the point of launching that.

Will still have to import goods for the time I guess.
Old Dec 5th 2017, 12:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Meanwhile and I just opened BE for this exact reason, I just have had the most unusual delivery experience. I ordered from the UK Camping World in Aldershot on the 27/11 a package that is one meter long, it's actually a drive away awning attachment. I was expecting to wait a few weeks for this as it has cost me a relatively cheap 44 bucks in total for this 1-meter long package to arrive just now, delivered by Aus Posts subsidiary star track.... It's obviously been fast-tracked through customs and missed that bottleneck Not sure how or why. The clue may be in it was handled by Parcel Force in the UK, so maybe Customs don't scrutinise in bulk Parcel Forces items.

Try lodging fast-tracked parcels to Australia via Parcel force in other words.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 5th 2017 at 12:48 am.
Old Dec 5th 2017, 5:26 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Meanwhile and I just opened BE for this exact reason, I just have had the most unusual delivery experience. I ordered from the UK Camping World in Aldershot on the 27/11 a package that is one meter long, it's actually a drive away awning attachment. I was expecting to wait a few weeks for this as it has cost me a relatively cheap 44 bucks in total for this 1-meter long package to arrive just now, delivered by Aus Posts subsidiary star track.... It's obviously been fast-tracked through customs and missed that bottleneck Not sure how or why. The clue may be in it was handled by Parcel Force in the UK, so maybe Customs don't scrutinise in bulk Parcel Forces items.

Try lodging fast-tracked parcels to Australia via Parcel force in other words.

https://thumbsnap.com/s/JEbQw4op.jpg
That's interesting. I had a parcel sent from the UK (Royal Mail) on the 28th, quickly left the UK the next day, then disappeared into the system. Has recently been marked as in Melbourne (4th), and thus hopefully will get delivered soon.

Maybe customs have stopped getting in the way for Christmas ?
Old Dec 5th 2017, 5:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Tonnes of reports that Amazon (Australia) aren't beating the prices of the local bricks and mortar retailers. This is not surprising. (as I have mentioned before).

They want to hope speed and convenience is going to give the consumers what they want.
Old Dec 5th 2017, 6:00 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Not surprising because they hardly have any products on the website.....yet.

The electronic products I've looked at are all from the third party local companies; and yes, expensive.
Old Dec 5th 2017, 6:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Beoz
Tonnes of reports that Amazon (Australia) aren't beating the prices of the local bricks and mortar retailers. This is not surprising. (as I have mentioned before).

They want to hope speed and convenience is going to give the consumers what they want.
Seeing as Aus Post will be delivering Amazon and Shipster, and Shipster is Aus Posts baby that they make good coin out of, guess which one when push comes to shove will be fastest

https://auspost.com.au/shipster

Amazon will be competing with the likes of MSY on computer related items here, good luck taking on the Taiwanese Amazon

Here's a reference point for them.

https://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 5th 2017 at 6:05 am.
Old Dec 5th 2017, 6:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's interesting. I had a parcel sent from the UK (Royal Mail) on the 28th, quickly left the UK the next day, then disappeared into the system. Has recently been marked as in Melbourne (4th), and thus hopefully will get delivered soon.

Maybe customs have stopped getting in the way for Christmas ?
Yeah maybe, I assumed that the Parcel Force batches would be smaller so easier to handle, hence the speed. Could be that Customs have lowered their scrutiny standards for a while.
Old Dec 5th 2017, 10:51 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz

Originally Posted by Bix
Not surprising because they hardly have any products on the website.....yet.

The electronic products I've looked at are all from the third party local companies; and yes, expensive.
Got some Lego for the lass, cheaper than the shops (by around 15-20%) and free delivery
Old Dec 5th 2017, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rasen78
Got some Lego for the lass, cheaper than the shops (by around 15-20%) and free delivery
I'm wondering if places like Officeworks, Bunnings, Harvey Norman, Chemist Warehouse and in your case Toys R Us will price match Amazon online.

I reckon Officeworks, Bunnings, and ChemistWarehouse will give it a go. Anaconda may as well.

eg: Out shopping in one of the above stores, see something you may purchase, straight onto the Amazon website to see if they have a price for it and take it up with the retailer if they don't price match they are gone!

Can confirm Officeworks are already doing it, according to the people on Whirlpool.

Price matching is an ingrained part of the Aussie retail landscape, not so sure they do it as readily overseas?

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 5th 2017 at 11:10 am.
Old Dec 5th 2017, 11:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just arrived at work and it turns out our Amazon delivery didn't arrive out our depot this morning. EG It failed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.