All the Gear

Old Mar 31st 2015, 3:06 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All the Gear

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
I thought you might chime in. The number of IOS activations over the past 6 months is massive in comparison to Android. Your 4 year graph shows how selective you are with the facts. IOS is winning people back probably due to the iPhone size upgrade.
Well, if you will tell porky pies....

The graph I presented includes 4Q14 - that's the point.

Here's another analysis if you want Kantar: Apple On Track For ‘Record Quarter’ As iPhone 6 Sales Bump Up Its Market Share Vs. Android | TechCrunch

in Europe’s “big five” markets ... Android accounted for nearly 70% of all sales, although that was a decline of some 2.6 percentage points over a year ago.
“Most of these sales were driven by loyal Apple users. Some 86% of British buyers upgraded from an older iPhone model, only 5% switched across from Samsung.”
In China, Apple’s share was up by 0.2 percentage points and now stands at 15.7%.
As I said, apple recovering slightly from them, slightly, catching up with where the market was, isn't some massive turn around in fortunes; just a rebalancing that doesn't actually change much (since most of the buyers already owned an apple).

If you really want to see the story that's going on, you need to look at the significant slice of the market that's saying "I can make do with a cheap ~$200 smartphone, either the MotoG or the cheapo chinese phones" and opting out of this upgrade treadmill. The smartphone market is going commodity, settling down on a common feature set, and with it the extreme profit margins are being undercut.

Why do you think they are pushing smartwatches?
Old Mar 31st 2015, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Well, if you will tell porky pies....

The graph I presented includes 4Q14 - that's the point.

Here's another analysis if you want Kantar: Apple On Track For ‘Record Quarter’ As iPhone 6 Sales Bump Up Its Market Share Vs. Android | TechCrunch

As I said, apple recovering slightly from them, slightly, catching up with where the market was, isn't some massive turn around in fortunes; just a rebalancing that doesn't actually change much (since most of the buyers already owned an apple).

If you really want to see the story that's going on, you need to look at the significant slice of the market that's saying "I can make do with a cheap ~$200 smartphone, either the MotoG or the cheapo chinese phones" and opting out of this upgrade treadmill. The smartphone market is going commodity, settling down on a common feature set, and with it the extreme profit margins are being undercut.

Why do you think they are pushing smartwatches?
What does this graph mean to you?

I don't tell porkies. You just like to massage the facts simply because you hate Steve Jobs which is think is quite sad.

Apple are pushing smart watches because of a growing trend of a notifications on the wrist requirement. I don't agree with their offering or price on it and won't be buying it. Plenty Apple nutcases will as well as others who want that level of interaction on their wrist. But that's away from the point. IOS is winning many Android users and rightly so. It is a superior OS. My review of it holds a bit more weight than yours as I use it, you do not.

Ah forgot to attach chart.
Attached Thumbnails All the Gear-image.jpg  

Last edited by knockoff nige; Mar 31st 2015 at 3:24 am.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 3:49 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

I don't tell porkies. You just like to massage the facts simply because you hate Steve Jobs which is think is quite sad.
No, I recognise he was a class A1 dickhead and nasty piece of work - which is generally recognised as the case by those that dealt with him.

Apple are pushing smart watches because of a growing trend of a notifications on the wrist requirement. I don't agree with their offering or price on it and won't be buying it.
Nah, apple are trying to jump on a bandwagon by copying others, and because their TV idea didn't really take off as a replacement profit line. Should have bought pebble though, they are the leaders in smartwatch design.

Ah forgot to attach chart.
You also forgot to mention that it was a telephone survey of 500 people buying phones in Q4 in the US - rather than anything more credible, or indeed, global....
Old Mar 31st 2015, 4:36 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
One thing I thought was interesting. Chrome on the Note remembered my surfing habits from the S3 and from my PC obviously through my gmail login. The Note also told me all the apps I had installed on the S3. All very handy and so easy to get the new phone to where i was in the old, but it does make you wonder what google are really collecting.

Safari users win right to sue Safari users win right to sue Google over privacy - BBC News
Safari users should have the right to sue Apple for making such a shite product
Old Mar 31st 2015, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

No, I recognise he was a class A1 dickhead and nasty piece of work - which is generally recognised as the case by those that dealt with him.

Nah, apple are trying to jump on a bandwagon by copying others, and because their TV idea didn't really take off as a replacement profit line. Should have bought pebble though, they are the leaders in smartwatch design.

You also forgot to mention that it was a telephone survey of 500 people buying phones in Q4 in the US - rather than anything more credible, or indeed, global....
Yes you disliked the guy, move on mate.

Apple are hardly jumping on the bandwagon. Smart watches haven't really taken off. Pebble has sold a few million but they are not very fashionable, which is where the Apple Watch is shining. It's making smart jewellery as opposed to just a wrist based notification device. They are compromising some things for the sake of throwing functions at it that should take a back seat. But, they have nailed it on the form. Since Apple announced the smart watch, Tag, Tissot and others are now looking to make their own. Which is great news as I think there is a purpose for this category. We just don't need them to have microphones and cameras just yet. You can keep talking up Pebble but if someone's in the market for a watch, Pebble is not likely to be what they opt for. There are many better looking alternatives that do it better.

That chart was not a survey. It was baed on activations based on platform.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 7:25 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Yes you disliked the guy, move on mate.
I'm not the one that keeps mentioning him....

not very fashionable, which is where the Apple Watch is shining. It's making smart jewellery as opposed to just a wrist based notification device.
They are making a square watch, like the generation 1 Android watches, only with even worse battery life. That looks like a dog. What apple is trying to do is screw the dumb for every penny they can make. By the time those mugs realise they have been sold a pup, apple has walked off with triple digit profit margins.

They are compromising some things for the sake of throwing functions at it that should take a back seat.
Nope, they are throwing the kitchen sink at it, including things that others have already realised don't work. Most people in the know laughed at how naive apple were being.

But, they have nailed it on the form. Since Apple announced the smart watch, Tag, Tissot and others are now looking to make their own.
... Android Wear watches. You seriously thinking that Tag Heuer's Android Wear watch is a response to apple's attempt? It owes everything to the generation 2 Android Wear watches, specifically the LG G Watch R

You can keep talking up Pebble but if someone's in the market for a watch, Pebble is not likely to be what they opt for. There are many better looking alternatives that do it better.
Sounds like you are speaking as someone without a smartwatch.

That chart was not a survey. It was baed on activations based on platform.
Nope, it WAS a survey - Apple iPhone Grabbing 50 Percent of Smartphone Activations : PERSONAL TECH : Tech Times
Old Mar 31st 2015, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

So back to phone's, Apple sales and share price slumped for a while because of a lack of anything new. The 6 gave the fanbois what they wanted, something that almost competed, but as long as its an Apple almost is nearly always good enough. And as Garry rightly says, when something new comes out, sales rocket. It will be interesting to see how Samsung go with their 6. In my view they have kind of gone backward with the 6. No removal battery. No storage expansion. The spec is better than the Apple 6 baring some of the camera specs. If you like fast FPS and time lapse. I did quite a lot of research on this recently and openly looked at Apple as an option for a phablet but the 6 plus is just inferior to the Note. Marketing helps too. Remember to who ha over the Apple 6. Remember the launch of the Samsung S6 - I can't.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm not the one that keeps mentioning him....

They are making a square watch, like the generation 1 Android watches, only with even worse battery life. That looks like a dog. What apple is trying to do is screw the dumb for every penny they can make. By the time those mugs realise they have been sold a pup, apple has walked off with triple digit profit margins.

Nope, they are throwing the kitchen sink at it, including things that others have already realised don't work. Most people in the know laughed at how naive apple were being.

... Android Wear watches. You seriously thinking that Tag Heuer's Android Wear watch is a response to apple's attempt? It owes everything to the generation 2 Android Wear watches, specifically the LG G Watch R

http://core0.staticworld.net/images/...imary.idge.jpg

Sounds like you are speaking as someone without a smartwatch.

Nope, it WAS a survey - Apple iPhone Grabbing 50 Percent of Smartphone Activations : PERSONAL TECH : Tech Times
You seem to have an issue with square faced watches. Some of the classiest watches I've seen are square faced, one being the Tag Heuer Monaco watch as seen on Breaking Bad. Just because you don't like square, doesn't mean it looks like a dog. The Apple Watch, in my opinion, is the best looking of them all. That LG G Watch R was announced after the Apple Watch as were many gen 2 Android watches. Apple has definitely got this category going where before it was more concept than useful. The smart device and now jewellery industries are intrigued by how successful the Apple Watch will be. They couldn't give a toss about Pebble. The image you've shown is not a photograph by the way. If you've seen this in an actual photo or video, it doesn't look that classy. It looks like an average watch.

Have a look at the Samsung Gear if you want to see a smart watch that keeps getting it wrong.

Anyway, not sure why you brought up the smart watch argument. Apple will win that race. The only people laughing at them are people like you who are jealous. God knows why, you talk like you work for Google.

Also, I have a smart watch. It's a Garmin Fenix 3 which is far more functional than a Pebble and offers better battery life too.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 9:05 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

The 6 gave the fanbois what they wanted, something that almost competed, but as long as its an Apple almost is nearly always good enough. And as Garry rightly says, when something new comes out, sales rocket.
Yep. Assuming the iphone 7 bolts in the bit apple purposely left out (the fullHD screen) they will have caught up with the rough stand of Android (of 2.5 years ago). It's now on a plateau, QHD screens don't make a lot of sense - and the only obvious direction to go is cheaper.

It will be interesting to see how Samsung go with their 6. In my view they have kind of gone backward with the 6. No removal battery. No storage expansion. The spec is better than the Apple 6 baring some of the camera specs. If you like fast FPS and time lapse. I did quite a lot of research on this recently and openly looked at Apple as an option for a phablet but the 6 plus is just inferior to the Note.
Yep again, Samsung seem to have given up on the market leadership position, looking to copy the worst traits of apple in overpricing. I doubt the 6 is going to reverse the decline in their fortunes.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 9:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. Assuming the iphone 7 bolts in the bit apple purposely left out (the fullHD screen) they will have caught up with the rough stand of Android (of 2.5 years ago). It's now on a plateau, QHD screens don't make a lot of sense - and the only obvious direction to go is cheaper.

Yep again, Samsung seem to have given up on the market leadership position, looking to copy the worst traits of apple in overpricing. I doubt the 6 is going to reverse the decline in their fortunes.
Its funny. In tech you generally have to do 20% better than your competition to make a dent, which is what Samsung did so well when it took on the iphone, probably around S3 time. Apple have the luxury of needing to do about 10% worse to make a dent because of their marketing prowess and fanbois base. They were lucky with the 6. The increase size was the big thing. Without it they were f**ked. Samsung haven't done 20% better on the S6. They should have really creamed the hell out of the Note 4.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 9:25 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

You seem to have an issue with square faced watches.
Round watches were about 6 months old by the time apple preannounced their watch. The expectation of most people is they would go for a round face (because it looks a lot better and apple are all about looks over functionality), probably aping the wheel of the ipod in the UI design (makes a LOT of sense) and with their typical rounded, white, nothingness of design. That's why it met with such mirth - they screwed it up.

The Apple Watch, in my opinion, is the best looking of them all. That LG G Watch R was announced after the Apple Watch as were many gen 2 Android watches. Apple has definitely got this category going where before it was more concept than useful.
Horseh*t. Apple have failed to learn the lessons/copy properly those that have created this market, and have created something that looks poor. Oh, and the LG G Watch R was announced on the 28th August last year, and was itself not the first round watch.

The image you've shown is not a photograph by the way. If you've seen this in an actual photo or video, it doesn't look that classy. It looks like an average watch.
And here is a real video of the watch, that does indeed look as described:

Also, I have a smart watch. It's a Garmin Fenix 3 which is far more functional than a Pebble and offers better battery life too.
Well, that's arguable, but if you actually have something that's better than the apple, why on earth do you keep on as if the iwatch is the second coming? Is it latent masochism to keep on trying to defend the indefensible and get shot down so repeatedly?

You'd have had a hell of a lot more credibility standing behind the garmin.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So meanwhile over at Microsoft ........ Adios Internet Explorer

Project Spartan: Beyond Browsing: https://youtu.be/4A5ZXWTIlHw
Old Mar 31st 2015, 9:46 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

So meanwhile over at Microsoft ........ Adios Internet Explorer

Project Spartan: Beyond Browsing: https://youtu.be/4A5ZXWTIlHw
Translation: IE has the stench of a corpse about it, so we need to junk the old cr*p and distance ourselves to have a chance of survival. Oh, and we remembered that we had a codebase for pen based computing, so we wheeled that out again...
Old Mar 31st 2015, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Round watches were about 6 months old by the time apple preannounced their watch. The expectation of most people is they would go for a round face (because it looks a lot better and apple are all about looks over functionality), probably aping the wheel of the ipod in the UI design (makes a LOT of sense) and with their typical rounded, white, nothingness of design. That's why it met with such mirth - they screwed it up.

Horseh*t. Apple have failed to learn the lessons/copy properly those that have created this market, and have created something that looks poor. Oh, and the LG G Watch R was announced on the 28th August last year, and was itself not the first round watch.

And here is a real video of the watch, that does indeed look as described:

Well, that's arguable, but if you actually have something that's better than the apple, why on earth do you keep on as if the iwatch is the second coming? Is it latent masochism to keep on trying to defend the indefensible and get shot down so repeatedly?

You'd have had a hell of a lot more credibility standing behind the garmin.
But there is a very good reason why these things are not round, emails are not round. But, you talk as if Apple will be late to the party, realise they messed up with a square watch and then release one. If you can accept that square makes sense for smart watches, how exactly have they got that wrong? Surely the round faces are wrong? But, I say that with a round smart watch as the primary use of this is not notifications but a fitness watch. Not sure what you think is arguable about the Fenix 3 being better than the Pebble. It's a bigger watch but it has far more use.

I don't defend the Apple Watch as a 'second coming'. It'll sell in millions. Apple made it jewellery first and a smart watch second. That's actually the right way to go when you want to target the watch wearers. They overstated it's usefulness as a fitness device as it doesn't compete with Garmin or Suunto but it does offer fitness features for those who might not typically exercise. Android wear has the same but they are all either geeky looking or not as premium looking. The Apple watch looks like a really nice watch. I won't buy one of these but can definitely see them selling in millions. Apple have failed at nothing yet. In fact, it's pretty much already been a success in fashion. The hype it's getting nearly puts it as the only smart watch around.

What are the areas of the Apple watch that Apple have got wrong where others have got it right in your opinion?

Your problem is that you refuse to be balanced in a conversation regarding anything to do with Apple. That's why you lose crediblity right away. You also try and put yourself above those who buy Apple products as seen by your post earlier. But how could you possibly rate anything Apple with any credibility when you simply refuse to have anything to do with them?

And save the arrogance. Telling me you 'shot me down' is silly and immature when you've done nothing like that.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'll give Apple some cred with the 6. They had a long long way to catch up and they almost got there even if it meant copying tonnes of design features.

Here is a pretty good and balanced article on the S6 and the iphone 6.

Android as an OS is miles out in front now. That's where Apple need to throw their development resources next. Get IOS out of last decade. That and the laptlet. Screw the watch.

http://m.smh.com.au/digital-life/mobiles/samsung-galaxy-s6-edge-review-finally-a-more-beautiful-handset-than-the-iphone-6-20150331-1mbrjb.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.