All the Gear

Old Jan 12th 2017, 1:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All the Gear

Originally Posted by GarryP
Well that's true of everything apple does. Quality is a perturbation on the total sales - there are the fanbois who will buy any and everything.
The need to feel part of a club.

Bit like the Hillsong church.
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Google Home has landed in Oz.

https://www.cnet.com/au/products/google-home/review/

Not really ready yet but shouldn't be too long. Amazon in the mix. No doubt Apple will jump on as they have nothing else.

So it looks like we will be buying future appliances based on flavour of choice and as usually happens, people will dive in, then that player pulls out of the race, and the consumer is left stagnate.
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 10:42 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Google Home has landed in Oz.

https://www.cnet.com/au/products/google-home/review/

Not really ready yet but shouldn't be too long. Amazon in the mix. No doubt Apple will jump on as they have nothing else.

So it looks like we will be buying future appliances based on flavour of choice and as usually happens, people will dive in, then that player pulls out of the race, and the consumer is left stagnate.
Expectation is the Google Home Mini will launch with the Pixel 2 phones on 5th Oct at something akin to the Amazon Dot prices ~ $50 on discount. Amazon will probably also launch their Echo, Dot, Dash, Look and Show here in plenty of time for Xmas.

Plenty of others bolting one or other into their devices, and I'm sure the rest will make their devices work properly online (finally). Apple are quite a long way behind, with a $465 device that won't launch till Dec, and won't actually do much smart stuff. MS have basically given up, throwing in with Alexa.
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 2:17 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I've had an Amazon Echo since 2015 and it is now one of our goto devices

A superb piece of tech
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 8:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GarryP
Expectation is the Google Home Mini will launch with the Pixel 2 phones on 5th Oct at something akin to the Amazon Dot prices ~ $50 on discount. Amazon will probably also launch their Echo, Dot, Dash, Look and Show here in plenty of time for Xmas.

Plenty of others bolting one or other into their devices, and I'm sure the rest will make their devices work properly online (finally). Apple are quite a long way behind, with a $465 device that won't launch till Dec, and won't actually do much smart stuff. MS have basically given up, throwing in with Alexa.
Amazon have given up developing there own search capabilities throwing in with Cortana and Bing.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 9:34 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Things are picking up work-wise for me and for the first time in years, I received a bonus. With some of this, yesterday I bought a DJI Mavic Pro drone

I'm not new to RC and drone flying and have built several but this drone - wow, just wow

My son and I took it up to Mt Dale (far from everyone) this afternoon and put it through its paces. I won't post how high/far we got it (you never know who's reading this) but all I can say is that we only pushed it to about 20% of its capability and its performance is insane - far beyond anything I've built and flown before. Considering that this is a consumer product that can be bought off the shelf at JB and easily flown by an 8 year old, also kind of worrying. The only limiting factor is battery capacity, which is effectively 25 minutes

Get one. Use it once and you'll have a big grin on your face

Recommended
Old Dec 29th 2017, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Things are picking up work-wise for me and for the first time in years, I received a bonus. With some of this, yesterday I bought a DJI Mavic Pro drone

I'm not new to RC and drone flying and have built several but this drone - wow, just wow

My son and I took it up to Mt Dale (far from everyone) this afternoon and put it through its paces. I won't post how high/far we got it (you never know who's reading this) but all I can say is that we only pushed it to about 20% of its capability and its performance is insane - far beyond anything I've built and flown before. Considering that this is a consumer product that can be bought off the shelf at JB and easily flown by an 8 year old, also kind of worrying. The only limiting factor is battery capacity, which is effectively 25 minutes

Get one. Use it once and you'll have a big grin on your face

Recommended
I saw it in action last easter. There was a guy on the beach flying it around. Stopped for a chat. He flew it around the next headland out of sight. Flew it around for a bit on the next beach then returned it. Video is very good quality. Very cool kit for an off the shelf product.

When is the next version due? Its getting a bit old now.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 11:46 pm
Proudly Deplorable

I saw it in action last easter. There was a guy on the beach flying it around. Stopped for a chat. He flew it around the next headland out of sight. Flew it around for a bit on the next beach then returned it. Video is very good quality. Very cool kit for an off the shelf product.

When is the next version due? Its getting a bit old now.
DJI released an updated version called the Platinum a few months ago but I don't think the extra performance of it justifies the additional cost. There are better drones available off the shelf but not at the price point that I paid for the Mavic - which basically costs what it does in the US and is way cheaper than the UK (a given really considering how they are ripped off for tech in that country)

This also fits in with my philosophy of never buying the very latest tech unless it is a genuine bargain. Waiting a short while means you end up paying a lot less for something that is still extremely functional. So I recently could have bought a Galaxy S8 for $1400 but instead bought a Moto G5 plus for under $300. Likewise, I could have bought a DJI Phantom 4 Obsidian for $2800 but got the Mavic instead

One of the most powerful basic concepts I learnt in economics is opportunity cost - and I apply it all the time now
Old Dec 30th 2017, 4:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

DJI released an updated version called the Platinum a few months ago but I don't think the extra performance of it justifies the additional cost. There are better drones available off the shelf but not at the price point that I paid for the Mavic - which basically costs what it does in the US and is way cheaper than the UK (a given really considering how they are ripped off for tech in that country)

This also fits in with my philosophy of never buying the very latest tech unless it is a genuine bargain. Waiting a short while means you end up paying a lot less for something that is still extremely functional. So I recently could have bought a Galaxy S8 for $1400 but instead bought a Moto G5 plus for under $300. Likewise, I could have bought a DJI Phantom 4 Obsidian for $2800 but got the Mavic instead

One of the most powerful basic concepts I learnt in economics is opportunity cost - and I apply it all the time now
Yeah I wouldn't pay $1400 for an S8. It would be nearly impossible to do so unless you were giving a massive tip.
Old Dec 30th 2017, 6:05 am
Proudly Deplorable

Yeah I wouldn't pay $1400 for an S8. It would be nearly impossible to do so unless you were giving a massive tip.
Fair enough but you know what I mean
Old Feb 8th 2018, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Garry. Remember that Microsoft share tip I gave you 4 years ago? How's that tip going?

http://www.smh.com.au/business/how-microsoft-the-giant-of-the-90s-survived-the-first-tech-backlash-20180207-p4yznm.html

Probably not as good this week as it was last week so now is a good time to jump on board.
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 2:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Garry. Remember that Microsoft share tip I gave you 4 years ago? How's that tip going?

http://www.smh.com.au/business/how-microsoft-the-giant-of-the-90s-survived-the-first-tech-backlash-20180207-p4yznm.html

Probably not as good this week as it was last week so now is a good time to jump on board.
Garry. How you getting on since this last post? Another 15% added to the share price. Tell me you jumped on board.

https://www-geekwire-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.geekwire.com/2018/microsoft-stock-closes-100-1st-time/amp/
Old Jun 6th 2018, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Speaking of Microsoft (Garry where are you) I am having a hard time going past their cloud storage deals for personal use. $99 per year for 1TB seems to beat Dropbox, Google, etc and you get Office 365 as part of that. Office 365 has some pretty cool stuff in it now like Power BI. I am a religious OneNote user too.

Anyone found better cloud storage deals?
Old Jun 6th 2018, 11:15 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Speaking of Microsoft (Garry where are you) I am having a hard time going past their cloud storage deals for personal use. $99 per year for 1TB seems to beat Dropbox, Google, etc and you get Office 365 as part of that. Office 365 has some pretty cool stuff in it now like Power BI. I am a religious OneNote user too.

Anyone found better cloud storage deals?
I get 1TB free with them? Doesn't everyone?
Old Jun 7th 2018, 3:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I get 1TB free with them? Doesn't everyone?
How do you get it free year on year?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.