All the Gear

Old Nov 24th 2015, 11:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All the Gear

Originally Posted by Alfresco

Edited my post above. Looks good.
In your article, this is what got it over the line for me

The lens of the Note 5 is a lot faster, at f/1.9 to the Note 4’s pedestrian f/2.2.

Hopefully those quick moving, low light shots, see a lot of improve.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 11:40 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Well, I've upgraded. The Note 4 got pick pocketed in Asia a few weeks back. Now there's a downside of a large phone. It shows at the top of the pocket making it easy to slide out.

I'm on the Note 5 now. Very nice piece of kit. I do like the feature where you can take notes straight to the screen when the screen is off. Great for jotting down a quicky.

The camera is a belter. It has a Pro mode where you can adjust all the settings like an SLR.

Still learning all the features. Will report back when I find more.

I was going to do that, but couldn't justify the +$1100 cost. In the end I bought an Asus Zenfone 2 (4/64) and it's an incredible phone for the $330 I paid for it.

Getting about 48 hours of moderate use on one charge, and the ZenUI is pretty lightweight. Also it's not stuffed full of bloody bloatware - and that that is there is user uninstallable without rooting.

If anybody is looking for a decent but not too expensive phone, I heartily recommend Asus' Zenfone series, assuming you can wade through their almost incomprehensible product numbering system...

S
Old Nov 24th 2015, 11:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I was going to do that, but couldn't justify the +$1100 cost. In the end I bought an Asus Zenfone 2 (4/64) and it's an incredible phone for the $330 I paid for it.

Getting about 48 hours of moderate use on one charge, and the ZenUI is pretty lightweight. Also it's not stuffed full of bloody bloatware - and that that is there is user uninstallable without rooting.

If anybody is looking for a decent but not too expensive phone, I heartily recommend Asus' Zenfone series, assuming you can wade through their almost incomprehensible product numbering system...

S
Now I never said the Note 5 was cheap, but you do pay for what you get (unless of course its an Apple )

On the bloatware thing - I keep hearing this, but you know what, you just delete it. Pretty simple.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 11:56 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Now I never said the Note 5 was cheap, but you do pay for what you get (unless of course its an Apple )

On the bloatware thing - I keep hearing this, but you know what, you just delete it. Pretty simple.

It was a bit of a punt, but I have a couple of Asus computers, and they have been excellent, so thought it was worth it for $330, and so far I can't fault it, but I do miss the pen. Another negative on the Note 5 was no expandable storage, and only 32 MB of usable memory. I've just dropped a 128 GB Micro SD into the Zen, so I have tons of space for media. It's disappointing to see Samsung moving away from expandable storage.

Some manufacturers lock the bloatware so that you can't delete it unless you root the phone. My old Note 2 had gallons of unremovable stuff on it.

S
Old Nov 25th 2015, 12:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It was a bit of a punt, but I have a couple of Asus computers, and they have been excellent, so thought it was worth it for $330, and so far I can't fault it, but I do miss the pen. Another negative on the Note 5 was no expandable storage, and only 32 MB of usable memory. I've just dropped a 128 GB Micro SD into the Zen, so I have tons of space for media. It's disappointing to see Samsung moving away from expandable storage.

Some manufacturers lock the bloatware so that you can't delete it unless you root the phone. My old Note 2 had gallons of unremovable stuff on it.

S
...... and the non removable battery was the other "worry" by the press.

It did worry me at first, then I thought, did I actually use the SD slot on my previous Note 4 and S3? The answer was No.

I always used the cloud. BTW OneDrive is coming with 100GB free now. I think Google is offering unlimited with a Note 5.

But if you do want to load up a device with loads of movies before that long haul to London, use one of these.

PS - there is a 64GB model too.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 3:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

In your article, this is what got it over the line for me

The lens of the Note 5 is a lot faster, at f/1.9 to the Note 4’s pedestrian f/2.2.

Hopefully those quick moving, low light shots, see a lot of improve.
The only small problem is, I can't for love or money get my Note 4 to be seen by any computer let alone Kies, so I can't back it up.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 3:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The only small problem is, I can't for love or money get my Note 4 to be seen by any computer let alone Kies, so I can't back it up.
Make sure the screen is not locked. Mine could never be seen when the screen was locked.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 3:57 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

S
I agree. The price of 'top end' mobile phones is getting ridiculous - $1529 for a 6S plus! Only a moron or someone with more money that sense would pay that. So it's Asus, Xiomi, One Plus, Huawei, Motorola for me from now on. You can get a kick-ass phone for under $400 (maybe a bit more) that has 95% of the capability of something costing $1200 - and you can usually change the battery and add micro SD as well. Currently using a Sony but next phone will probably the One Plus 2 or a Motorola
Old Nov 25th 2015, 3:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure the screen is not locked. Mine could never be seen when the screen was locked.
I've tried everything. Will try on my iMac tonight.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 6:36 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

As a start:

Settings > Device > Storage > Menu > USB computer connection
or
Settings > System > Developer Options > Select USB Configuration

make sure it's on MTP

And if you are stuck with Win10

usb - Windows 10 is unable to load Android devices as MTP devices - Super User
Old Nov 25th 2015, 9:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GarryP
As a start:

Settings > Device > Storage > Menu > USB computer connection
or
Settings > System > Developer Options > Select USB Configuration

make sure it's on MTP

And if you are stuck with Win10

usb - Windows 10 is unable to load Android devices as MTP devices - Super User
Thanks. It is. Been through all that etc... simply won't connect to any Windows pc at work (multiple pcs) or at home - Win7 - 10.

BUT...

I have had success on my iMac. Worked first time. Plugged in and downloaded Kies for Mac. All backed now.

Old Nov 25th 2015, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alf. Just reporting back. I gave the Note 5 a good internet session this evening. Doing a bit of research for a work project. About 4 hours worth. I was at about 5% by 9:30pm. I took it out of the charger at 6:30am this morning.

I suppose that's a fair battery lasting with that amount of internet use.

The great thing is, I'm back at 100% at 10:05pm. This thing charges very quickly.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 6:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

..... and it used 10% overnight while laying idle.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 8:34 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

..... and it used 10% overnight while laying idle.
Does it not have Marshmallow yet? Doze mode should cut that drain in half at least. It's not a lot of use moving about during the day, but it's purpose made to cut the drain overnight.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 8:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

It did worry me at first, then I thought, did I actually use the SD slot on my previous Note 4 and S3? The answer was No.

I always used the cloud. BTW OneDrive is coming with 100GB free now. I think Google is offering unlimited with a Note 5.

But if you do want to load up a device with loads of movies before that long haul to London, use one of these.

PS - there is a 64GB model too.
Part of my travel around Aus plan includes taking as much media with me as possible in as small a device as possible. So I'm looking at a 512gb (or larger by the time I travel) Micro SD cards maybe a few of them. Reason, I'll be playing video via kodi on my LG G4 or equivalent which can handle the large SD cards..... . Hopefully outside the Motor home on a mini projector for the local campers... the other thing I have in mind.... Swapping some of my vast media collection for things like freshly caught fish, accomodation, oil, water. etc etc. All of which I'll be able to demo at the press of a screen.

I've got a massive collection of Australian country music, not that I really like the stuff... but I've an idea that backpackers will be in such nostalgic and love Australia mode, especially in the outback under the brightest milkway they've ever seen..... that I may actually be able to flog USB's full of the stuff.

Shhh dont tell anyone though

You can't take the Ducker and Diver out of a Sarf Londoner mate

Cop this...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.