Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

AirBnB for ex pats. ?

AirBnB for ex pats. ?

Old Nov 19th 2016, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default AirBnB for ex pats. ?

Every trip I've had back to the UK with possibily one family members location exception has been not the best accomodation wise. Cramped conditions, a long way from shops and transport and difficult car parking. Hence I figure next time I may well use AirBNB.... Then I hit on an idea.

I've been on the net with forums etc since 2001 and have built up a lot of on line relationships with people, now some of those may well have decent accomodation available.... at a price similar to AirBNB except there would be the further enhancement of a bit of an online knowledge of one another.... Even just shared similar history could be enough.

I'll explain from my point of view. I've got really good accommodation here in Inner Melbourne, in a very interesting and vibrant area and would be willing at some point in the future to have people come here that I have some knowlege of. I'm not quite ready yet as we still have kids at home, but supposedly they are all moving out next year. Which will leave us with a very big and extremely well located empty nest. I also really love to show people around, if they so wish that is, and should be retired next year.

I'd personally rather have people of a like kind stay at my place and maybe me at theres or someone elses from one of the forums that I'm on.... even the Catford and Lewisham facebook page which has people all over the world.

Anyway..... I'm floating this to see if it's got legs ?

This could actually be a world wide thing. There are people I know from all around the world including South America.

Over to you guys.... what do you reckon ?
Old Nov 21st 2016, 8:20 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AirBnB for ex pats. ?

You should maybe have a look at the various home exchange websites. Many people on these sites have more than one home so exchanges are often not simultaneous. The advantage is that the homes and members who exchange on these sites are properly registered and earn a "reputation" unlike the "virtual" members here on BE.
Old Nov 25th 2016, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

There are a number of websites that do this. Also, there is couchsurfing.
Old Nov 25th 2016, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

AirBNB is far far more sophisticated than I initially gave it credit for and there are a number of people on there doing exactly what I had in mind.... Especially in the US, which is aiming at a certain demographic with hopefully a mutual intune experience. I contacted someone over in San Fransisco, who are really interested in meeting the wife and I and potentially would like to come to our place in Melbourne.

They just need a subsection thats all....which I reckon is probably on it's way.

I even found someone around the corner from the first place I spent the first 20 years of my life in SE London. I've messaged them and they are in a similar position socially to us and are seem very interested in our visit.... especially with the local history I can afford them from 40 years or more back. Makes a change from travelling from MKeynes or Crawley for a 90 minute drive through which is all I've been able to do since 1980... Cheap as well 430 bucks per week.... private ensuite bathroom included.

I really will be able to look up the old school aquantainces this time around.... rather than head back out of town each day.

BTW Cheapest hotel in the area.... 100 "pounds" per night at Hither green....no thanks, probably worse accom, slightly further away and maybe I wont get along with these old school aquaintances eh at 430 bucks for a week it's worth the time, money and nostalgic bent.

I'm also considering renting a whole 3 bed Villa in Spain, for a couple of months, so my UK family can have a holiday and visit us there..... Villas can be had for 420AUD per week. I can rent my place out here on the local market for well over 600 LOL !!.... So I can potentially make a profit accomodation wise from being on holiday.

Considering putting in a extra bathroom and toilet here and small kitchenette and doing a 3 seperate bedroom airbnb myself. 3 double rooms available at a time at 75 bucks each per night. We'd have 3 bathroom toilets at our place then and a extra kitchen. Secure income for retirement in T'other words. Can seperate the accom at our place so it could be a goer with us living out the back part of the house.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Nov 25th 2016 at 9:08 pm.