Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

$5000 for dental work

$5000 for dental work

Old Apr 10th 2008, 12:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default $5000 for dental work

Child number 2 has just had his 3rd consultation with the orthodontist and we now have a quote for $5,000 for the work he needs doing

And that is the 'nothing goes wrong' price

They HAVE to start it IMMEDIATELY as he has over under wonky bites

Can't believe it:curse:

And that is not all, they want the whole lot UP FRONT!!!

What happens if they go walk about half way through or get run over by a bus?

Is it usual to demand cash up front for treatment that is going to take 2 years? Surely it should be on a pay as you go basis?

We knew it would cost... but honestly...

there goes our savings for a deposit if we can't sell the uk house... and there goes any chance of my 'new' (ish) car..
Old Apr 10th 2008, 12:27 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: $5000 for dental work

Originally Posted by eddie007
Child number 2 has just had his 3rd consultation with the orthodontist and we now have a quote for $5,000 for the work he needs doing

Is it usual to demand cash up front for treatment that is going to take 2 years? Surely it should be on a pay as you go basis?

there goes our savings for a deposit if we can't sell the uk house... and there goes any chance of my 'new' (ish) car..
think they r taking the piss to be honest
Old Apr 10th 2008, 12:36 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Hi....

Son is currently having dental work that is costing $5000 too but there was a few different plans on how to pay it, upfront or a deposit and various monthly repayments over the 2 yrs.

While we are talking about this maybe worth pointing out that we started his brace work in the UK where he had 4 teeth out at the dentists recommendation. Something he wouldnt have to had done here, his orthodontists said she has had to put false teeth into kids as they've ended up to gappy!!!! Hopefully this will not be the case for him.

Daughter will also be needing a brace, another $5000!!! But we need to wait until she has her growing spurt something they can tell from a neck x-ray!!

C x
Old Apr 10th 2008, 12:39 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

I dunno about over here but back in the UK we got quoted about £3,000 for braces & treatment, we decided to wait until we got settled here - looking for an orthodontist was the next thing on my list - looks like I will be doing the lotto this weekend too
Old Apr 10th 2008, 12:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

We spent over 16,000 bucks over 30 months, on our two kids. Got a fair chunk back from health insurance, (around 3,000 bucks) and 20 pct back (after we spent 1500) in a year back in tax claims. The norm is pay as you go, so shop around if they wont do this.

It felt like a ripoff to me as well, however so many people are coming up with similar figures, that maybe it is the norm.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

cpdods is just really nicecpdods is just really nicecpdods is just really nicecpdods is just really nicecpdods is just really nicecpdods is just really nicecpdods is just really nicecpdods is just really nicecpdods is just really nice

I broke a tooth just after we arrived.Went to local dentist who did x-rays etc and quoted $8800 for all the work that needed doing (and that was 8 yrs ago).I thought check-ups with NHS for 28yrs every six months would count for something. Got a 2nd opinion and dentist said no-way do I need the work. Had tooth fixed and no trouble since. (had check up on Tues all ok !).
Old Apr 10th 2008, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

That is cheap, I just had quote in gold coast for $10000, & i told him I am going for second opinion, I let you know next week how much they want.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 1:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Our son was over half way through his orthadontal treatment in the UK, when we went to Dentist here, they were fairly apalled with the UK brace! Apparently the way it was positioned on his teeth it wasn't doing anything! Upshot is another brace, and just over $3,000! Poor son was hoping it would come off
Old Apr 10th 2008, 1:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info all of you, this is obviously a bullet we have to bite but its easier to know that it isn't rip off city and quite usual... knowing what the 'norm' is really helps to adjust quickly,

Just hope he realises his teeth are costing twice what my FABULOUS DARLING 1982 toyota Corrola cost me..

bugger
Old Apr 10th 2008, 1:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info all of you, this is obviously a bullet we have to bite but its easier to know that it isn't rip off city and quite usual... knowing what the 'norm' is really helps to adjust quickly,

Just hope he realises his teeth are costing twice what my FABULOUS DARLING 1982 toyota Corrola cost me..

bugger
I'm sure that you must be taking the pee. My family went without holidays so that my sister and I could have straight teeth......I was a real bugs bunny. I cannot describe my sustained new-found confidence when the bands came off...it has remained with me for more than 20 years.

Having braces is much, much more than straight teeth and a nice smile.

My hubby is finally in a position to do the same thing; his invisalyn was fitted when he was 39.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
I'm sure that you must be taking the pee. My family went without holidays so that my sister and I could have straight teeth......I was a real bugs bunny. I cannot describe my sustained new-found confidence when the bands came off...it has remained with me for more than 20 years.

Having braces is much, much more than straight teeth and a nice smile.

My hubby is finally in a position to do the same thing; his invisalyn was fitted when he was 39.
No I'm not taking the Pee... we have not come to Australia with much and $5,000 is a hell of a chunck for ordinary people like us to find... I have seriosuly NEVER spent that much on a car or a holiday or ANY single item...

Exactly how do you construe what I said as taking the piss?
Old Apr 10th 2008, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

My 8 year old son was referred to an orthodontist in Perth in December. Once he was x-rayed and assessed the dentist explained roughly what he would need to do over the next couple of years but said he would take it one step at a time. He has had a plate fitted and all the appointment/adjustments and plate came in at $800 which I though was quite reasonable. I asked about braces and he said they cost around $2000 - $3000 but not to worry about it at the moment. He would wait and see how his teeth came in and the effect of the plate before making any decisions.

I was very reassured considering the horror stories I've heard. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him.

Galba
Old Apr 10th 2008, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of light

Sh*t thats a hell of a lot of money.

Jess will have to have a brace..defo.
Rachel i think should be ok, her teeth are quite straight and if they dont move she shouldnt need one.

Harv, dunno, he has only lost 1 but has quite a wide jaw so hopefully he should be ok.

Looks like we are gonna have to try and save £15 grand then.
Kelsey has had one here and had it before everything went private so that was ok.

Nickie
Old Apr 10th 2008, 2:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi galba,

I'm thinking I should perhaps get a second opinion or try and find some one who will spread the cost based on what is done rather than on an up front figure... can you let me have the details of your dentist?

Many thanks
Old Apr 10th 2008, 2:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

worries me that I have 4 kids... as for child number 4 with all the dental work he need because of his bilateral cleft lip and pallete (complete) I don't think we will ever afford that.. scares me witless just thinking on it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.