Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

$37m for touching her bra strap

$37m for touching her bra strap

Old Sep 12th 2010, 1:56 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $37m for touching her bra strap

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I dont know that many women that wouldnt be able to stick up for themselves and put blokes in their place in a workplace incident. Could we be pandering to a very small minority here ? If there was sexual harrassement surely it should come under criminal legal proceedings rather than the public court system ?
people are targeted are the ones who dont stand up.
i doubt if this guy would have tried it on again if she was able to bring him down and put him in his place.

a bully will only pick on someone who can defend themself once! (unless team handed)

i agree it should have been regarded as a criminal act, but if the company dont react then this maybe the only way to make them listed.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 2:00 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Or they just stop employing women.
lets kill all the men who help the women get pregnant
Old Sep 12th 2010, 3:24 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

If there was sexual harrassement surely it should come under criminal legal proceedings rather than the public court system ?

The law that prohibits sexual harassment is the Queensland Anti-Discrimination Act 1991.
The federal Sex Discrimination Act 1984, is administered by the Australian Human Rights Commission.

Why would any employer hire a woman when they can potentially open themselves up to a multi-million dollar lawsuit?
I guess the same could be said about men.

There's punitive damages and taking the piss. This is taking the piss.
You think 5% is taking the piss? I don't think 5% is harsh enough but lets hope it's enough to make them rethink how senior management behave.

Last edited by Kelli28; Sep 12th 2010 at 3:31 am.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 6:13 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Another factor, it seems to me that these kind of legal proceedings seem to widen the gulf between men and women, not narrow it. I dont know that many women that wouldnt be able to stick up for themselves and put blokes in their place in a workplace incident. Could we be pandering to a very small minority here ? If there was sexual harrassement surely it should come under criminal legal proceedings rather than the public court system ?

Re our particular situaiton at our workplace, We have large letter sorting frames that are supposed to be used by one person standing up. If we get behind in a certain postcode then another person will come and help sort in that area. It is impossible to do without physical contact. (A lot like vertical Twister) It's quite interesting to see how this pans out actually. 99.99 pct of the time there is never an issue..... except say re body odour. Maybe its because the familarity of this, if anyone approaches getting out of hand with any of our women, all of whom seem feisty, they would be met with a resolute and loud "***** off"....

Consequently based on my workplace experiences I find it difficult to understand these allegatations/proceedings and probable outcome. In fact I would go as far to say if there is any harrassement at all, its from the Women mostly towards awkard, socially inept, stay at home with mum type blokes. Is this sexual harrassement ?
Back in the UK at one time I was the supervisor in an office with two staff, one of whom was a policewoman on light duties. When she was transferred to us we were given the reason that she was suffering post-traumatic stress due tio sexual harassment by the guys she worked with in her previous station. Allegedly they would leave girlie mags in her intray, make suggestive comments about her clothing, talk about what they'd to use handcuffs for etc. She was then pursuing a sexual harassment case, suing the Force as a whole.

She used to turn up for work with her blouse undone to an almost indecent level, skirt hitched up, not much good as a worker cos she spent most of the time talking to her mates on the phone, but I had orders not to stress her by reprimanding her. She would complain if the older guys brushed against her in the corridor, and we had a huge system of filing drawers necessitating similar "Twister"type moves to those in Aus Post (I've worked on those, nightmarish things!)The woman in the other position left and was replaced by a temp, pleasant, hard-working, good-looking young gay bloke. From that moment we got less than no work from Madam. She would lean over his desk with her blouse gaping, sit on her desk with her skirt hitched up, talk suggestively about "converting him" when on the phone, knowing we could hear every word.
The culmination of it was when I turned round one day to see her walk across the office, sit on his lap, wind her arm round his neck and start whispering in his ear.
She was moved the next day, but they did nothing about her behaviour, even though I pointed out it was quite obviously unwarranted - the guy was 100% gay and the look of horror on his face had to be seen to be believed.

She won her case against the Force and took early medical retirement because of PTSD with pension etc (she was about 30 at the time!). When you see a case go through with double standards like that it tends to leave a sour taste. I know there are many honest and legitimate cases brought, but cases like hers really make me stop and wonder what the "other side " of the story is - sad but true.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 7:43 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by sonlymewalter; Sep 12th 2010 at 8:06 am.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 9:08 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Back in the UK at one time I was the supervisor in an office with two staff, one of whom was a policewoman on light duties. When she was transferred to us we were given the reason that she was suffering post-traumatic stress due tio sexual harassment by the guys she worked with in her previous station. Allegedly they would leave girlie mags in her intray, make suggestive comments about her clothing, talk about what they'd to use handcuffs for etc. She was then pursuing a sexual harassment case, suing the Force as a whole.

She used to turn up for work with her blouse undone to an almost indecent level, skirt hitched up, not much good as a worker cos she spent most of the time talking to her mates on the phone, but I had orders not to stress her by reprimanding her. She would complain if the older guys brushed against her in the corridor, and we had a huge system of filing drawers necessitating similar "Twister"type moves to those in Aus Post (I've worked on those, nightmarish things!)The woman in the other position left and was replaced by a temp, pleasant, hard-working, good-looking young gay bloke. From that moment we got less than no work from Madam. She would lean over his desk with her blouse gaping, sit on her desk with her skirt hitched up, talk suggestively about "converting him" when on the phone, knowing we could hear every word.
The culmination of it was when I turned round one day to see her walk across the office, sit on his lap, wind her arm round his neck and start whispering in his ear.
She was moved the next day, but they did nothing about her behaviour, even though I pointed out it was quite obviously unwarranted - the guy was 100% gay and the look of horror on his face had to be seen to be believed.

She won her case against the Force and took early medical retirement because of PTSD with pension etc (she was about 30 at the time!). When you see a case go through with double standards like that it tends to leave a sour taste. I know there are many honest and legitimate cases brought, but cases like hers really make me stop and wonder what the "other side " of the story is - sad but true.
That story has just made me feel physically sick - she deserved nothing, nothing at all, not even an apology and I am actually doubting the credibility of her story as a whole.

What about the poor guy she was harrassing or do his feelings not count?

Bloody bitch, if she is going to be rude in the workplace and be 'one of the lads' then that is fine, but for Gods sake dont throw the helpless female act into it to try and get a bit of cash.

How on earth did you bite your tongue Polly? I would have been sorely tempted to grass her up and stand against her in court if such a thing was possible.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 9:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
That story has just made me feel physically sick - she deserved nothing, nothing at all, not even an apology and I am actually doubting the credibility of her story as a whole.

Bloody bitch, if she is going to be rude in the workplace and be 'one of the lads' then that is fine, but for Gods sake dont throw the helpless female act into it to try and get a bit of cash.

How on earth did you bite your tongue Polly? I would have been sorely tempted to grass her up and stand against her in court if such a thing was possible.
I did give her a telling-off over harrasing the temp guy, and made sure the boss knew about it, as he was the one telling me "don't give her a hard time, she's got PTSD" . It did go on her file, along with a few comments about her total lack of commitment to work, but at the time (10 years ago) harrasment cases in the police were big news and she was on a winner from the start. I had actually left the Force by the time the original case came to court, it took so long. I was already out here, and heard the result from friends still there. The guy didn't want to make a big thing of it at the time, he was only about 20, heading for a career in a different field and it probably wouldn't have looked too good for him in that field if he'd got involved. I could see his point too, the way the world views such cases may not be fair, but that's the way it is unfortunately.

She caused a lot of upset for the whole unit as we all had a great working relationship before that, men and women together, but she stirred up a lot of suspicion about people's motives and stuff, not a good atmosphere to work in at all.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 9:40 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
He was MALE. It is generally a one sided law.

Old Sep 12th 2010, 9:45 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
He was MALE. It is generally a one sided law.
No it's not. The law is in place to protect both men and women, it's just that it tends to be males in positions of responsibility who abuse this power.

Generally speaking.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kelli28
I guess the same could be said about men.
How many men are taking their employers to court for $37 million?

You think 5% is taking the piss? I don't think 5% is harsh enough but lets hope it's enough to make them rethink how senior management behave.
DJ's have an average annual profit of c$100m (not sure if that is net or gross). The $37m is 5% of their annual profits over the amount of years he was at DJ's. $37m equates to 37% of annual profits. Yes it's taking the piss massively.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 10:26 am
ABCDiamond

How many men are taking their employers to court for $37 million?
They have been laughed out of court for a lot less

But for a woman to claim $37m, some seem to feel it is OK.

The problem is this absurd $37m figure. And it is overshadowing the real position, as can be seen by all our comments.

If the figure was realistic, I doubt many of us, if any, would take the positions against this woman that are being taken.

Old Sep 12th 2010, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
They have been laughed out of court for a lot less

But for a woman to claim $37m, some seem to feel it is OK.

The problem is this absurd $37m figure. And it is overshadowing the real position, as can be seen by all our comments.

If the figure was realistic, I doubt many of us, if any, would take the positions against this woman that are being taken.
the figure is intended to make the company shit themselves, take stock and do something. It also serves as a lesson to other companies cos you can as sure as hell beleive no other company will let themselves get in that position after this. So its actually a great ploy cos business is all about money...It's not a real amount....and as you say its a joke....

Let's not let the real problem be overshadowed by stupid lawyers and their silly price tags...
Old Sep 12th 2010, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
the figure is intended to make the company shit themselves, take stock and do something. It also serves as a lesson to other companies cos you can as sure as hell beleive no other company will let themselves get in that position after this. So its actually a great ploy cos business is all about money...It's not a real amount....and as you say its a joke....

Let's not let the real problem be overshadowed by stupid lawyers and their silly price tags...
Instead all the $37m price tag has done is sway public opinion and make her look like a gold-digger.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 11:41 am

Instead all the $37m price tag has done is sway public opinion and make her look like a gold-digger.
it's courted publicity which is exactly the right thing to make change
Old Sep 12th 2010, 12:11 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

$37m will cause a lot of pain but mostly to shareholders and employees.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.