Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Working for myself in Barbados.

Working for myself in Barbados.

Old Aug 28th 2013, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

MarkPManning is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working for myself in Barbados.

I am currently self employed in the UK which provides me with a modest income and the business is growing slowly, so will become a registered company quite soon. The work which I do does not require me to be here and my wife and I would like to move to Barbados.

I have read that it is extremely difficult to gain work permits, residency etc. but does anyone have any idea how much I would need to be earning before the officials see that I will not become a drain on society?

Also, would I be able to start a Company in Barbados doing the same type of work, so that Bajans can buy my services from a 'local' company rather than a UK based one.

Lastly, I am involved with my local Chamber of Commerce and would be (genuinely) more than happy to get involved with BCCI on a voluntary basis, as I want to get involved in the community. Does that sort of thing have any bearing on matters?

Many thanks and fingers crossed for positive news!
Old Aug 29th 2013, 2:07 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working for myself in Barbados.

Mark .....I can help you go through all the questions you asked but would be too long to type...as you will def have more questions...Im happy to have a phone conversation with you ..as you have only typed one post i suggest you post another 2 on this thread ..ie saying ok or thanks and that will give you access to IM me ya private details and we can arrange for me to give you an overview
Old Aug 29th 2013, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

MarkPManning is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you, I really appreciate that.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

moonmouse3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Serendipity and Mark
I'm also very interested in finding out if it's possible to be self-employed in Barbados. I'm a video producer here in the UK but I do have other things I can do, and like you Mark would be happy to see if I could contribute in other ways such as volunteer teaching production skills.
Any advice would be gratefully received. Also I'm sure this question has been asked many, many times, but if I want to visit for 6 months, will I automatically be allowed to stay that long, and if so should I be buying a return ticket with a fixed return date, or an open ticket?
Sorry to be a pain but I'm confused!
Thanks very much for your help.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 8:54 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi moon mouse ...to answer the easier question ...what you get at airport depends on individual who you discuss it with...you may get a week or may get 3 months ...seems only senior citizens get 6 months. I would suggest you ask for 3 months ..get a 3 months ticket and then apply for extension at immigratino downtown and extend ya ticket to a 6 month return if granted - Virgin only charges around £50 to change.

As for the self employed question....there are ways but takes ages, very little guarantee, is a big gamble and if you get refused you cant go back for a while....as I advised Mark when we spoke...coming and going is much simpler than looking to stay
Old Sep 17th 2013, 8:57 pm

Wait....lol....Moon mouse???
Old Sep 17th 2013, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

Hi Serendipidy

Thanks so much for your reply and advice especially about flights etc.

Fingers crossed I'll be there in a few weeks!

Helen
Old Sep 18th 2013, 4:41 pm

Your welcome Helen but i need to know how many mices there are on the moon if you are no 3 lol?
Old Sep 18th 2013, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

Aww... the Moonmice were in a radio show when I was little. There were 4 mice who lived on the moon (of course) and Moonmouse 3 was my favourite, though I can't actually remember what they did!
Old Jun 29th 2014, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

Hi all

I was lucky enough to spend a few months in Barbados over last winter and had a wonderful time. Now back in the UK but really want to return. I've applied to study at UWI in the hopes that a new qualification could lead to employment opportunities there, but wonder if anyone knows whether I will be able to do any paid work on a student visa? The notes seem to imply not, but there is a clause which says students can apply to immigration for permission to do practical work based training. Has anyone applied for this and if so, how likely is it that immigration would grant this to a foreign student? Do foreign students have to be completely self-funding with no opportunity to supplement their income locally?
Any thoughts will be much appreciated.
Thanks and hope everyone has a great Crop Over.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 10:48 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Practical work would generally (to me anyway) imply things like Internships / requirements for completion of degree work etc.. getting a qualification from UWI isn't necessarily going to lead to Employment opportunities on the island (considering that many students coming out of UWI, who are Barbadian, can't get employment)..

and I don't believe a study/student visa allows you to work

I know, for example, when a Barbadian student goes to Canada, they can apply for a work permit that allows them a short term (2years maybe) work opportunity.. I don't know about England.. but I haven't heard that being the case in Barbados.. My suggestion would be to ask Immigration (easier said than done) or ask the university..
Old Jun 30th 2014, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Sunnie - I will get in touch with immigration. I know it's a long shot!