Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

sewing machine and tile purchase

sewing machine and tile purchase

Old Apr 13th 2016, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

julesdoopydoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default sewing machine and tile purchase

Hi all,
I need to buy a sewing machine on my next trip. I have seen a couple in Courts and one Singer (once) in Pricesmart. Are there any dedicated sewing/craft shops on the island, as I would like to try before I buy.

Also looking for kitchen wall tiles. I have been told of Terrific Tiles but are there any other outlets with a reasonable choice.

Thanks
Old Apr 13th 2016, 11:19 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sewing machine and tile purchase

unfortunately, no dedicated craft shops that would do anything close to allowing you to try before you buy. honestly, a sewing machine is a sewing machine. if it does what you want it to do, then it's fine.. and the ones we have here are mostly from the US, and likely you might have same or similar in the UK, so.. check them out there first before buying one here. I purchased my last one from Courts here.. not the top of the line model but works for what my daughter does with it and if we need any hemming etc..

and depending on what you are making, your going to find that you aren't going to into one shop for everything.. fabric in one, needles and thread in another, although you can get thread and cloth at ABEDS .. and mostly you will need to go into Bridgetown to find. Abeds has fabric.. Foustins (not sure that's the spelling) is also in Bridgetown.. they have more for sewing needs then most shops.
Old Jul 16th 2016, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

Jrjr is an unknown quantity at this point

There are 2 places in spring garden area which sell re conditioned items . often have sewing machines for about $200. There's a place in town behind Courts. Looks like a dump but they sell cheap tiles. Like a liquidation centre
Old Jul 16th 2016, 8:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of things in the Caribbean are purchased in the US and shipped. Some retailers ship directly, but there are also businesses who specialize in buying/receiving goods in the US and then shipping them to islands in the Caribbean and further afield.
Old Jul 16th 2016, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

Jrjr is an unknown quantity at this point

Its worth joining Pricesmart for $75 or Cist u Less both in Warrens. Some real bargains
Old Jul 17th 2016, 1:10 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

sorry Jrjr.. I wouldn't call them real bargains.. prices aren't much different then other places.. maybe by a few dollars, but not enough to call them real bargains.